25 Posts

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Solo Play Tip - Play Three Characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Tyler
United States
flag msg tools
I started playing board/card games just a couple of months ago, but I've bought & played A LOT of them in my excitement over a newfound fun hobby WHQACG is my #1 favorite (although that won't last, if there aren't any expansions to flesh out the fantastic base the core set provides). It wouldn't be, if I hadn't tried playing the game as 3 characters before giving up on it.

When you play as 2 characters, as per the rule book, they have to do everything. The game isn't easy - you're forced into making the "best" decision every time. Yes, you can try and predict future turns, set up combos and such...but your characters may as well be plain white cards with slightly different numbers on them. Both of them are going to tank, deal damage and support. Dropping in a 3rd character really breathes life into the game. Your fire mage can be a glass cannon, the dwarf warrior puts up a brick wall and the paladin heals & buffs. The rogue dances around the battlefield, popping up where she's needed before sinking back into the shadows. The characters feel like the best of the ones in Sentinels of the Multiverse (which I say as a high compliment). You can really feel like you're the one dropping an axe into an orc's head.

Combined with what I think are fun mechanics - some dice rolling, card tapping, deck building, character progression and good ol' fashioned dungeon crawling - I think it's a really fantastic game. If you only played Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game solo as 2 characters and didn't really enjoy it, I highly recommend you give it a try as 3 characters. Not everyone will feel the same way, I'm sure, but I think it's a huge improvement & game changer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep... I cannot beat the first quest with any combination of 2 characters. 3 is a game changer, agreed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Tyler
United States
flag msg tools
simondtaylor wrote:
Yep... I cannot beat the first quest with any combination of 2 characters. 3 is a game changer, agreed!

I was able to beat it (relatively) consistently with the dwarven tank and rogue. Main things I kept in mind was the fact that (most) enemies are discarded after you travel, and your ultimate goal is to fully explore the last level (not kill everything). Right from the start, think of it as a race: "How can I shave 1-2 turns off my completion time?" I usually squeaked by with just a couple of HP left!

But it's much more fun once you drop that 3rd character in. No longer felt like I was trying to cheese the system before I ran out of HP; it felt like a real battle~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Tyler
United States
flag msg tools
Thinking about it a little more, I think the main difference is enemy placement. You just can't play certain characters "right" when they're always going to have enemies spawning on them. 3rd character spreads out the engagements better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played with 3, but have played 2 and 4. On the surface it feels like playing 3 characters be the 'hardest' because you only get 3 actions? Both 2p and 4p give you 4 actions. Tell me why I'm mistaken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gotta try it... I have played the first scenario with 2, many times, but never with 3 and I keep on reading it's easier (IE: less impossible) and more fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
I haven't played with 3, but have played 2 and 4. On the surface it feels like playing 3 characters be the 'hardest' because you only get 3 actions? Both 2p and 4p give you 4 actions. Tell me why I'm mistaken

Party leader gets 2 actions, other two get one, so it's still 4 actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Party leader gets 2 actions, other two get one, so it's still 4 actions.

Ah! I had missed that. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Note: 2P = two heroes; 3P = three heroes (all games solo)

I played ~40 games with 2P and then switched to 3P due to many of the reasons discussed already.

Bright Wizard went from the lamest to the greatest and I don't think I will ever go back to 2P.

However, the 2P difficulty was challenging and I like that. My win ratio was around 40-45% - just where I like it for a solo game. With 3P, the ratio skyrocketed to ~70-80% - and now I almost never lose. Wins aren't even close - as usually at least one of the three heroes has near full health.

I am considering shaving 2-4 HP from each character to see if I can regain the challenge from the 2P sessions. It is obvious the mechanics work better (for me) with 3P, but I wish it hadn't immediately become so easy... Likely at play was all the training I had with 2P.

OSG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 is better than 2, for sure - but all 4 is the way to go in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
c4dillon wrote:

Is the HP scaling enough to make 4P even a challenge? I guess I will try it, but don't expect it to improve the difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
c4dillon wrote:

Is the HP scaling enough to make 4P even a challenge? I guess I will try it, but don't expect it to improve the difficulty.

I found it to be, but don't have the quantity of games that you have! I would say you could take another HP or two off of each character to get 4p to the challenging point you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
c4dillon wrote:
oldschoolgamr wrote:
c4dillon wrote:

I found it to be, but don't have the quantity of games that you have! I would say you could take another HP or two off of each character to get 4p to the challenging point you're looking for.

Fair enough... At least it lends itself well to scaling.

Now - when are we going to see more homebrew user content? (Quests and Characters are certainly welcomed!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy O
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Totally agree with the OP. 2 characters was okay but 3 really opened the game up and made it much more enjoyable. I've tried 4 but didn't find it as much fun. 3 is definitely the sweet spot for me at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc
msg tools
I always play with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
Interesting. I disagree that the characters dont matter in 2 player. Its pretty essential that you play the Waywatcher and the Warrior Priest to win in 2 player games, so the characters do matter. I really like the challenge of 2 player, but I'm going to check out 3.

I can usually sometimes (45%) do well 2P as long as one of them is NOT Bright Wizard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Has anyone succeeded in 2P using Trollslayer + Witch Hunter? I found that combo difficult to play.

WP + WW on the other hand was challenging but do-able.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Guijo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is meant to be played with 4 charachters. I have played two player and enjoyed. 3 is not bad, but 4 is perfect, it really shines that way.
Play 4 heroes always , no matter the number of people playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Tyler
United States
flag msg tools
Null Field wrote:
Interesting. I disagree that the characters dont matter in 2 player. Its pretty essential that you play the Waywatcher and the Warrior Priest to win in 2 player games, so the characters do matter. I really like the challenge of 2 player, but I'm going to check out 3.

Well, I think we're saying the same thing I didn't mean that characters don't matter in that sense; rather, that they're forced into doing the same actions. IE, the Waywatcher is slippery even in a 2-hero game, but she's going to be forced into tanking at times simply because there's nowhere else for the enemies to go...the Warrior Priest is going to be your primary damage dealer at times, because every character has to be in a 2-hero game.

Bump it up to 3, though, and now your Waywatcher isn't going to tank unless you make that decision; the Warrior Priest can focus on just buffing/healing, unless you want him to DPS. The options of how to play the characters really opens up, rather than each having to do everything. (It explains your hero selection, too - Warrior Priest & Waywatcher are much better at doing a little of everything than Dwarf Warrior & Fire Mage are).

Hope that makes a little more sense? thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Tyler
United States
flag msg tools
kalisto59 wrote:
This game is meant to be played with 4 charachters. I have played two player and enjoyed. 3 is not bad, but 4 is perfect, it really shines that way.

I like having one character get a double turn, but I might give 4 some more tries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
goldmonkee wrote:
kalisto59 wrote:

I like having one character get a double turn, but I might give 4 some more tries.

The double turn is pretty darn useful. You can fit a refresh in there easily - either for that player or Aid to get another card active for another player - lots of flexibility for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Go for Trollslayer and Waywatcher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Spaidal
Canada
flag msg tools
I've been having great success with the Waywatcher/Witch Hunter combo. The Waywatcher's board control and the fact that both are strong at self-healing really shines through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.