Subject: Designer's Choice Setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Sronce
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
This is the setup I use for demoing Mana Surge to new players. I thought people might be interested.

First, I remove the Quake suit and use the other five. This is because for demos I don't know how many players I'll have and Quake shines best with large groups.

Next I pick 12 Metamagic cards. If you have the full Kickstarter game I think you end up with 15 or so... I pull out Transmute, Torment and Stagnation generally, as they are the most complicated to explain. I like to keep the number of Metamagics in line with the other 5 suits (12 cards each). Absorb also causes questions, so you could reasonably drop any of those back in and take Absorb out instead.

I like to explain Resonating like this- "If the caster casts a Fireball 3 card, you can avoid being hit by playing any card that's 3 or higher. But if you avoid it by using Fireball magic yourself, the spell gets stronger- so you put a Shard on the Fireball card you just played."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I like the verbiage there... I will use that to explain going forward because I think the one time I tried to teach it, it sounded weird and arbitrary. Thanks! That's a great set up choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.