Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I tried doing a search and found lots of factual details about the extended board, but not a general consensus or staple of opinions on whether the extended board improves gameplay and it people consider it a worthwhile upgrade. (On a side note, search feature is worst component of bgg).

Thanks for your opinions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
The large board is nice, since so many components have to be on the map at any given time, especially later in the game. You need to have a really big table to make it work, however, since the board is so large, plus everyone needs space for both of their playmats, and then there's the resource supply and the bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:
Hello, I tried doing a search and found lots of factual details about the extended board, but not a general consensus or staple of opinions on whether the extended board improves gameplay and it people consider it a worthwhile upgrade. (On a side note, search feature is worst component of bgg).

If you actually have a table big enough to accommodate it, the extended board is fantastic. I use it every chance I get and I can't recommend it enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's a thread from only a few days ago that includes some opinions on the extended board: Wanting this ... But confused

Personally, I love the bigger board. But it's one of those things where everyone has an opinion and no one is wrong.

It seems to be that those who have the standard components are fine with the standard board, and those who have the deluxe components enjoy the larger board more (mostly because the deluxe components are a tad bigger than the standard).

Also, number of players could be a factor... more players = bigger board better. Two players = standard board is perfect.

And finally, WRT your comment about the search function... I practically live by it before ever starting a new thread. Do you use the Advanced Search function?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Here's a thread from only a few days ago that includes some opinions on the extended board: Wanting this ... But confused

Personally, I love the bigger board. But it's one of those things where everyone has an opinion and no one is wrong.

It seems to be that those who have the standard components are fine with the standard board, and those who have the deluxe components enjoy the larger board more (mostly because the deluxe components are a tad bigger than the standard).

Also, number of players could be a factor... more players = bigger board better. Two players = standard board is perfect.

And finally, WRT your comment about the search function... I practically live by it before ever starting a new thread. Do you use the Advanced Search function?

Maybe I am oblivious, but is there a way to search for a thread only shows up once instead of having each post from that thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:
Maybe I am oblivious, but is there a way to search for a thread only shows up once instead of having each post from that thread?

Include '-re' (no quotes) in the search, so it filters out the responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:
opinions on whether the extended board improves gameplay and it people consider it a worthwhile upgrade.

I don't think the XB improves GAMEPLAY any, and I've played with a full complement of 5 players on the standard board.

The size of the XB requires a large table and I can only host 4 players with the XB. The XB looks great - and I'm glad I have it, but whether the upgrade is worthwhile would be entirely your decision. I can say categorically that the XB is completely unnecessary - the game is perfectly playable as is - it's not a limited make-do-and-mend way to play - you get the full gaming experience on the standard board. The XB does look great.

To sum up. Not needed. Nice to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the collector's edition so it came with the extended board, but I've actually never played a multiplayer game without it (I do play solo with the small board because it's too much of a bother to reach so far by myself!). Everyone sees the big board and immediately wants to play with it, even if it means moving from the table to the floor.

The small board does make things feel more epic in a way, since the mechs and resources and workers would all crowd together into a hex, but at the same time the larger space of the board extension makes the whole land feel massive and that you are really expanding your influence.

I do agree though, with a previous poster that if you have the standard edition of the game you probably won't need the board extension. But I would never play without it myself, personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Extended board is probably worth getting if you have a big enough table. The standard board hex size is too small...or more accurately the miniatures are 1/3rd too big.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xorsyst xorsyst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The extended board looks epic, especially with the realistic resources, but in reality it's too large. People can't reach all the way across the whole thing!

The normal board is perfectly sized and still looks great, but can get a little crowded. You'll want to only use the basic resources on it, and as someone else said it's a shame the mechs/characters aren't a little bit smaller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the extended board a lot. I do have to set up a bigger table in my basement for it or if I bring it to game night, but I like it, especially with 5 players. On the other hand, I've played with the regular board with 3 and 4 players and it is great too and it can be played on an average sized table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I love it! Gameplaywise, it obviously doesn't add anything, but having a 50% (33% depending on how you count it XD) bigger adds a fantastic epicness to an already awesome game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only echo what most others here has already stated: it's not necessary, but it is very nice to have.

I have a big enough table (just) to support the extended board and have played exclusively with it since receiving the game. The more players in the game, the more beneficial it is, but even with only 2 it's nice--those bits don't shrink with fewer players, so 2 mechs a character, a couple of workers and a handful of resources are just as crowded on a hex with 2 players as they are with 5.

As for not reaching all the way across, well, everyone can be helpful and assist in moving pieces near them. I also had a realization on the board design. I have a strong suspicion there is a method to Jamey's madness in scattering the trackers and card decks around the perimeter of the board. In the end, each player has one or two of those near them and by default becomes that tracker or deck's manager; no one player gets stuck being "banker" for every pile of bits that needs management. Brilliant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:

I love the extended board, but it isn't necessary. Twice I have played on the small board, and my gaming friends admitted afterwards that they hadn't even noticed that we didn't play the extended (enlarged is really what it is) playing board. However, my eyesight isn't the best and i enjoy the enlarged board for that reason. It does require a large table (which I'm fortunate enough to have).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
DanKD wrote:

OMG this is one of the best BGG tips I've read in a long time!!! I'm not sure why the search feature isn't built this way by default but I am so happy now to have learned this.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

venrondua wrote:
runtsta wrote:

OMG this is one of the best BGG tips I've read in a long time!!! I'm not sure why the search feature isn't built this way by default...

I agree with you! It's been a lifesaver for me.

But be careful... like all other shortcuts in life, it has its limitations.

You asked why the default isn't like this... The reason (I've observed) is because when you enter a search term, the system assumes you're interested in every post containing that term. That's a reasonable assumption when you consider that the info you're looking for can very easily be buried in an unrelated thread.

However, when you use the " -re " extension, the system will show you ONLY original posts that contain your search term. I.e., if the first post of a thread contains your search term, the system will list that, and only that.

What's so nice about that of course, is that in most cases that's exactly what we're looking for (the OP), and it reduces the clutter of extraneous posts that also show up in the list of returned items.

But where you may need to be careful again, is that it will not list posts containing your search term that are part of threads that don't contain the search term in the OP, if that makes sense. IOW, by using the, " -re " extension, you're asking the system to NOT show you any responses! It will show you only OPs and nothing else.

And who knows? Perhaps the answer you're looking for is buried in a response to an unrelated thread? That's why it might be wise to use both methods. Use the " -re " first, and if you don't find what you're looking for, then try the exact same search term except without the -re.

Disclaimer: The above is per my observations only. I'm not a search tech expert, nor claim any knowledge the actual technical protocol behind BGG's search engine! I've simply grown to appreciate it as I use it every time before posting a question here on the Geek. Through it, I usually find the answer to my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

venrondua wrote:
runtsta wrote:

OMG this is one of the best BGG tips I've read in a long time!!! I'm not sure why the search feature isn't built this way by default...

I agree with you! It's been a lifesaver for me.

But be careful... like all other shortcuts in life, it has its limitations.

You asked why the default isn't like this... The reason (I've observed) is because when you enter a search term, the system assumes you're interested in every post containing that term. That's a reasonable assumption when you consider that the info you're looking for can very easily be buried in an unrelated thread.

However, when you use the " -re " extension, the system will show you ONLY original posts that contain your search term. I.e., if the first post of a thread contains your search term, the system will list that, and only that.

What's so nice about that of course, is that in most cases that's exactly what we're looking for (the OP), and it reduces the clutter of extraneous posts that also show up in the list of returned items.

But where you may need to be careful again, is that it will not list posts containing your search term that are part of threads that don't contain the search term in the OP, if that makes sense. IOW, by using the, " -re " extension, you're asking the system to NOT show you any responses! It will show you only OPs and nothing else.

And who knows? Perhaps the answer you're looking for is buried in a response to an unrelated thread? That's why it might be wise to use both methods. Use the " -re " first, and if you don't find what you're looking for, then try the exact same search term except without the -re.

Disclaimer: The above is per my observations only. I'm not a search tech expert, nor claim any knowledge the actual technical protocol behind BGG's search engine! I've simply grown to appreciate it as I use it every time before posting a question here on the Geek. Through it, I usually find the answer to my question.

I think what frustrates me is there is an option to only search the "titles" and yet I get pages back of replies to the same thread. It makes me wonder why they have the options of "title", "title and message" and "message" at all as I get the same results regardless.

Mostly I search for the titles because I have a rule question or something similar. So I'm looking for an OP who has posted about a particular thing, so I can then review the responses to see if it answers or addresses my own particular thing.

So having all the responses listed as well isn't helpful to me. If I've already eliminated a thread as being unhelpful (to my particular need) I don't like seeing it continue to come up in all the search results for pages and pages.

However if I'm looking for something more broadly, then searching without "-re" would be fine, perhaps even welcome. Right now though, this tip has vastly improved my search experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also echo that you need a REALLY big table to use the extended board. I have a pretty big dining table that has never run into space limitations before, and I don't use the extended board on it. Every time I set up Scythe I set up the extended board first, and then just decided that the table will be too cramped when I add the player boards and I just put the extension away.

I like the idea of it, but I don't see myself using it because my already big table isn't big enough for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heike Pohl
msg tools
The bigger board is nice, especially when you Play with more then 2 persons.
And you can use it as a search game....I´ve found Thor and a Yeti and Rotkäppchen.
More?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raider84 wrote:
The bigger board is nice, especially when you Play with more then 2 persons.
And you can use it as a search game....I´ve found Thor and a Yeti and Rotkäppchen.
More?

Yes, more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. I was hoping to get the board and coins but coins went fast. I have the realistic tokens from the treasure chests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara S
United States
Palmer
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the extended board but the table I've been using this summer is a tad too small to fit the board AND player mats for more than 3 players, so I've only used it with 3p games. The standard board works just fine for 5p games and is perfect for 2/3p but I really enjoy the larger board as it makes games feel more epic --

-- that and we tend to play by putting out our entire workforce and then spamming Production, so it can be difficult fitting all those resources on one hex on the standard board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll chime in to add a bit of a +1 - to me I'd always play with the extension if possible, when things start getting a bit busy, esp with larger combats over resources, the extra room does make life easier.

The trade-off is the board is, then, bloody huge. Especially considering the additional footprint per player with each set of two player boards - make sure you have room to use it, if you do think you'll buy it.

Aesthetically, I thnk it's nicer than the normal board as you can see the detail on the board more easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad-Halfling wrote:
I'll chime in to add a bit of a +1 - to me I'd always play with the extension if possible, when things start getting a bit busy, esp with larger combats over resources, the extra room does make life easier.

The trade-off is the board is, then, bloody huge. Especially considering the additional footprint per player with each set of two player boards - make sure you have room to use it, if you do think you'll buy it.

Aesthetically, I thnk it's nicer than the normal board as you can see the detail on the board more easily.

That. So much that. My last session we played 5p Scythe & filled up the table. We followed with Viticulture. Once out, my first thought was "crap, that board is a postage stamp" after staring at the mega-sized Scythe board for the last 3 hours. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.