Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Runar Dankel
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I need help. It is me, not the game. We have played a few games now (tie x 2 vs x-wing x 1 and a 60p game). Our problem is that there is a lot of dodging and many turns where nobody can shoot. That felt boring as we played a lot without getting to shoot. And when we fired we usually missed and with few shots i felt kind of random because of the few dice rolls.

Is this how the game is? A lot of dodging and less shooting? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the game became much more fun with upgrades. The base game for us also felt like a dice fest.

With a few expansions the game became much more interesting. For example, Millenium falcon/Darth vader with engine upgrade, Soontir Fel with Push the limit, or Turr Phennir have lots of moving options (the boost/barrel roll/or simply their special ability) allow them to move a lot and position themselves nicely.

Placing bombs is also very fun, since predicting where your opponent goes is rewarding, etc etc.

Try to get someone with these expansions to show you the power of the dark side options you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Williams
United Kingdom
Penkridge
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with just the core set I am afraid that the game is a bit boring, it is very hard to shoot every round when you have so few ships. The more ships you have the more options you have and you will find that with 100 pt matches it is rare for no ship to have a shot.

Plus the ships that you get in the core set are not that exciting, other ships offer much more to make the game interesting.

At the end of the day to get the most out of the game you are going to need to spend quite a bit of money and whether or not it will be worth it is entirely up to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with only a core set that is to be expected, you should add a few expansions to get to 100-point squads.

some ships/upgrades have an easier time to maneuver for a good shot and more ships will ensure you cover more of the board.
using the koiogran maneuver should help to keep the opponent within your firing arc.

but sometimes it is indeed difficult, then you have to try unconvential maneuvers to surprise your opponent and allow a better shot next turn.
use target lock/focus combined to increase your chances of hitting and try to be at range 1 for an extra attack die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runar Dankel
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

I have:
Core x 2
TIE Advanced
Y-wing
Millenium Falcon

Our 60p build was:
Darth, Mauler, Academy pilot
vs
Luke and Dutch with Ion cannon and R2-D2

Should I buy more or is can you guys suggest two builds that will provide more fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Try increasing the points. We generally never play with less than 100 points a side. Our best games tend to be around 150. Mind you we play for the most part with 3 or 4 people on a large table rather than a 3x3 map. However remember that the game is what you do with it. When it's just you and a friend sitting at the table together and not a tournament you can do what you want and whatever makes the game more fun. So try 120 points a side next time and see how it plays then for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runar Dankel
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Will up the points and see if that makes it more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And I haven't seen any mention of asteroids in the thread yet.

You HAVE TO play with asteroids - the game balance is dependent on it, and especially as you get more ships on the table, you'll very quickly find out how important they are. Maneuvering around them is critical - trying to make as tight a turn as you can without hitting them to flank an enemy, etc.

They are easily half the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

You HAVE TO play with asteroids - the game balance is dependent on it, and especially as you get more ships on the table, you'll very quickly find out how important they are. Maneuvering around them is critical - trying to make as tight a turn as you can without hitting them to flank an enemy, etc.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
XanderF wrote:

I absolutely agree with this!

I was experiencing much the same as you are my first few games. Just as you described it, we'd spend a ton of our time just trying to move so we could shoot each other and the games felt very drawn out and not all that exciting.

But...we weren't using asteroids.
Someone here on these forum suggested doing so...and I couldn't believe the difference it made!
I thought asteroids were going to make the game more difficult...and they do...but they also make it FAR more enjoyable and strategic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runar Dankel
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
So good to hear that it wasn't us and that there is actually a point we missed. Now I just need to get some ships that dosent suck as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you make "pew-pew" noises when you shot? When your X-Wing killed a TIE in one hit did you yell "Great shot, kid, that was one in a million!"

I actually had a lot of fun playing with the core set, or two core sets. I've been progressively having less fun as the game adds more and more content, and it becomes "Space Upgrade Card Battle" vs "Star Wars Fighter Battles"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runar Dankel
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made no sounds. I couldn't even scold myself from getting cocky. I just kept missing and those TIE's just kept moving, hence my post.

I'm not into tournaments, so I hope the game just stays casual and nostalgic, if we like it better with more points and astroids

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Laner wrote:
I made no sounds. I couldn't even scold myself from getting cocky. I just kept missing and those TIE's just kept moving, hence my post.

Well...I mean, 'not making sounds' is allowed...as long as you are at least playing the right background music...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Laner wrote:

I'm not into tournaments, so I hope the game just stays casual and nostalgic, if we like it better with more points and astroids

I'm not into tournaments either. For me games are about sitting around with friends and having a good time. This fits that bill for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Laner wrote:
Thanks guys.

I have:
Core x 2
TIE Advanced
Y-wing
Millenium Falcon

Our 60p build was:
Darth, Mauler, Academy pilot
vs
Luke and Dutch with Ion cannon and R2-D2

Should I buy more or is can you guys suggest two builds that will provide more fun?

Try this:

Imperial:
Howlrunner, Crack Shot (19)
Black Squadron Pilot, Crack Shot x 3 (45)
Darth Vader, TIE/x1, Engine Upgrade, Advanced Targeting Computer, Lone Wolf (36)

Rebel:
Han Solo, Millennium Falcon, C-3PO, Gunner, Predator, Engine Upgrade (62)
Wedge Antilles, BB-8, Push the Limit, Engine Upgrade (38)

You'll need to proxy many of the pilot and upgrade cards (you can find them online), but these lists are a good representation of the full game using the ships that you own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runar Dankel
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
Had a 100p build with astroids yesterday. Made a sweet list with what I had. Ended up with Lando and Dutch. Lando handing a free action to Dutch. Dutch made a target lock and gave a lock to Lando, which got 2 locks because of Wepons engineer. Both had a full set of munition.
Was fun, but not that good. Sop I see that the problem is that I'll always want more

Still. It feels like the game drags on a bit. Shot down a Tie and clearly had the upper hand. Was just a matter of time.

BUT, way more fun with building and astroids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
If the games are going too long, you could set a time limit. Player who destroys the most points wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The limit can be your imagination, here, too- we sometimes play a random draw game. We put one dial of each ship into a hat, and everyone draws a ship and must make a 45 point squad from that ship only. Then we just set a clock and blow each other up. If your ship gets destroyed, it comes back in at your starting area during the next assign dials phase. If you have two ships, they can arrive independently (TIEs would suffer big time otherwise)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runar Dankel
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! that is an awesome idea. Perfect multiplayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another fun option, for those that have the Imperial Aces pack, is placing the upgrade tokens around the board, upside-down. Then when ship flys over them, they get to use that upgrade. I ended up with a Shuttle on this once, and adding 2 red and 1 green made for a surprisingly good ship!

Alternatively, you can just make a pile of upgrades: cannons, missiles, torpedoes, Elite pilot talents. Place the sensor tokens around the board, and when you fly over them draw a random card from the pile. I'd say everyone just gets the same ship for this version, and assume any ship can equip and use whatever it picks up. So, say everyone gets a TIE fighter, and allow them to target lock. (Best part about that is there will be a lot of ships blowing up!) You could even give everyone a copy of the number tokens 1-4, and each kill lets you increase your "pilot skill" by placing the next number on your ship. When you die, it resets to 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Fjeld
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laner wrote:
Wow! that is an awesome idea. Perfect multiplayer.

Alternatively, you could play the fan made campaign, Heroes of the Aturi Cluster.

I'm currently playing it, and it's a lot of fun! You fly, battle and upgrade with your own ship. There's nice variety of missions and people can drop in and out. Quite frankly, we think that the campaign has higher production value than any of FFG's original material. Best of all, you are left with that true feeling of "Star Wars" heroism! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runar Dankel
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! That is insanly cool. So gotta do the pnp of the components and try it out.

We have settled for an astroid race ala road rage in our next game. 3x3 with astroids at 1-2 along the edge. First to two laps. If you get shot up you enter the race behind last place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I propose this alternative, or another variant: if you can, use two sets of asteroids. Scatter (players x2 +1) the satellite/(any extra token) tokens around the table, each player taking turns placing them. Then each player may move 1 token to within range 1 of its current location.

Each player starts in a corner. You race to collect the tokens, winner has the most tokens. To collect, your base must land ON the token. All players get the same ship type. Damage rolled is replaced by Ion effect, no damage done. Asteroids do regular damage, destroyed ships are out.

I've done the circuit races, they never turn out quite as good as it seems they would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.