Subject: Part of a Spell Effect and Monsters in Gates rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurgan Loathemane
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Good morning everyone!

Although I consider myself a rulesdrinker, I haven't found a clear answer to these two questions. I hope you can help me.

1) What's exactly the part of a spell effect? Is the reckoning part from the glamour spells part of the effect? this question comes from a game against Yog Sothoth, where, after you have success after rolling for Lore as part of a spell effect, you could spend 2 clues and discard the spell to advance the mystery. In my point of view, after you do the Lore test of the reckoning, if you get a success, you could discard the 2 clues and the spell.

2) Does a gate that spawns out of the mythos phase (for example, with some of the Lost in Time and Space conditions) spawns a monster aswell?
I have always thought this way, but some cards make me feel different (there is one that says: spawn a gate and have an encounter on that gate. Then what? do I have the gate encounter or do I have to fight monster first...?)

Thanks for reading, and sorry for my language mistakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
1) Everything on a spell card is part of a spell effect. Yes, "+lore to spellcasting" applies to Glamors' tests on Reckoning, yes you can discard them to Yog.

2) When a Gate spawns, you always place the monster; it's part of the spawn procedure. In the encounter example, you just do what the card says, (ignore the monster and) encounter the gate - you're not in the general encounter phase framework there so specific card instruction takes precedence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metakurgan wrote:
Good morning everyone!

Although I consider myself a rulesdrinker, I haven't found a clear answer to these two questions. I hope you can help me.

1) What's exactly the part of a spell effect? Is the reckoning part from the glamour spells part of the effect? this question comes from a game against Yog Sothoth, where, after you have success after rolling for Lore as part of a spell effect, you could spend 2 clues and discard the spell to advance the mystery. In my point of view, after you do the Lore test of the reckoning, if you get a success, you could discard the 2 clues and the spell.

2) Does a gate that spawns out of the mythos phase (for example, with some of the Lost in Time and Space conditions) spawns a monster aswell?
I have always thought this way, but some cards make me feel different (there is one that says: spawn a gate and have an encounter on that gate. Then what? do I have the gate encounter or do I have to fight monster first...?)

Thanks for reading, and sorry for my language mistakes.

1) Yes. While most spells need to be actively cast and have a Lore test as part of casting the spell, Glamour spells have a reckoning effect instead, which effectively is the same as a Lore test for that spell. So when you roll a Lore test as part of a Glamour spell reckoning, you get any bonuses that apply to spell effects, and can discard the spell for the Yog-Sothoth mystery.

2) Yes, you spawn a monster. I can't remember the wording on that LOTS condition; if it says encounter this space, you'd need to fight the monster. If it says encounter this gate, I'd say you don't fight the monster. Effectively you are coming out of the gate from being Lost in Time and Space, similarly to how you do in Arkham Horror. Usually, you enter the gates from the outside, which is why you first have to encounter monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metakurgan wrote:
What's exactly the part of a spell effect? Is the reckoning part from the glamour spells part of the effect?
Any effect that's printed on a Spell card is a spell effect. This includes reckoning effects of Glamour Spells. (Confirmation)

metakurgan wrote:
Detailed answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurgan Loathemane
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you so much to all of you for your extremely fast, precise and concise answers. You f****** rock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.