Hide
19 Posts

Leaving Earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Doctor Healing Timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Simpson
msg tools
So, something I was curious about for the rules. Astronauts are considered components for the purposes of resolving "choose a component to damage" outcomes. Suppose that on a manned mission you get a rendezvous failure. If you have a doctor on board, could you keep on injuring your non-medic astronauts and then immediately healing them until you scum a success from the deck, or do you have to wait until the end of the year for doctors to heal incapacitation as though the astronauts were on Earth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you found info about astronauts being "components"? I can not see this statement, especially that you can "damage" astronaut when randezvous fails.

Heal (and repair) is an action you can take during your turn. So no need to wait untill "end of year". Only heal/repair on Earth takes place at the end of a year. Not in space when using mechanic or medic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gbs5009 wrote:
Astronauts are considered components for the purposes of resolving "choose a component to damage" outcomes.

Where did you get that from? Never read something like this in the rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, George is correct. Although there is no such strict statement in te rulebook. (there is, look edit note)

In the components section on the second page of the basic rule book there is no number of "astronaut cards", they are counted as components. In expansion on the very first pages there is descripton of new elements. And scientists are in the section "Components".

In basic rules on page 21, in "Components" section there is fragment:
Quote:
If a component has no number listed for any of its attributes (such as mass or thrust) it has a value of zero. For example, astronauts have no mass listed; their mass is therefore zero.

So, an astronaut IS a component.

--- EDIT ---

Sorry, there is such statement. In the footnote on the page 19:
Quote:
† If the advancement card says that the outcome causes a component to be damaged, keep in mind that astronauts do count as components, so they can be incapacitated by such outcomes. Samples and supplies do not have a damaged side, so they cannot be chosen as components to be damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Urg, that seems wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mideg wrote:
Urg, that seems wrong.
No, it does not. Don't think about an astronaut as an person, but a person with many "subcomponents" which can be damaged – personal life support system, food containers, oxygen tanks, a space suit... Of course, many of these are built into a capsule but my interpretation is these are for example backup/personal systems (especially space suit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Or "Leonov is heroically spacewalking to try to get the ion thruster lit, and is injured while preventing it from damaging the ship".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. I didn't look at it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Astronauts don't have a "Damaged" side, whereas other components do. Astronauts have an Incapacitated side, so I presume they could not be damaged.

By the same reckoning, they can't be repaired by an engineer.

[Edit]On closer reading of previous threads, I see that my first statement is incorrect. Astronauts can indeed be "damaged".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:
Astronauts don't have a "Damaged" side, whereas other components do. Astronauts have an Incapacitated side, so I presume they could not be damaged.
Astronaut body can be damaged rendering him/her incapacipated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rzabcio wrote:
Sorry, there is such statement. In the footnote on the page 19:
Quote:
† If the advancement card says that the outcome causes a component to be damaged, keep in mind that astronauts do count as components, so they can be incapacitated by such outcomes. Samples and supplies do not have a damaged side, so they cannot be chosen as components to be damaged.

I always interpreted this as "If the capsule the Astronaut sits in is damaged, he is incapacitated", not that you can incapacitate astronauts instead of damaging a(nother) component.

It would be nice if Joe chimed in here, because I'd like to see what he says about the topic.

Personally, I'd never play this way, as I think it is too cheesy and unthematic to just have 3 medics in a capsule healing each other while taking e.g. damage from Saturns debris or a docking failure instead of damaging a component...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting to see what Joe says...

While damaging an astronaut for a failed rendezvous attempt is an interesting game mechanic, I feel like it takes you out of the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gar0u wrote:
Waiting to see what Joe says...

While damaging an astronaut for a failed rendezvous attempt is an interesting game mechanic, I feel like it takes you out of the theme.
What? You can't picture a pilot, having missed the rendezvous, face palming himself and shattering his visor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanning wrote:
What? You can't picture a pilot, having missed the rendezvous, face palming himself and shattering his visor?

I'm not sure the doctor would be much help with that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
San Jose?
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Astronauts are components, and they can be damaged by events that cause you to damage a chosen component. Doctors can heal an astronaut as a free action on your turn.

Thematically, there have been some incidents that inspired the idea of astronauts possibly being injured during docking/separation and landing:
- The crew of Soyuz 11 died from air loss when a valve accidentally opened during separation from Salyut 1 in orbit.
- Vostok 1 failed to separate properly before reentry, putting the capsule into an 8 g spin.
- Soyuz 5 and Soyuz TMA-1 landed hard enough to injure an astronaut on board each.
- Soyuz TMA-11 was a mixed case: failure to properly separate before reentry caused a rough landing that injured an astronaut on board.

However, the idea that a doctor can just as easily fix a broken bone as heal radiation sickness is clearly not thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, what a revelation... though the only time it really would have helped for me was Saturns debris striking my crafts. This way, the Saturn orbital station becomes much, much easier.

I don't know yet how I feel about that rule, probably will leave it out, because there are cases that do not really make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, it's pretty simple to fix it with basic home rule: if you can choose - physical parts should be damaged before astronauts. In fact I was playing with this rule automatically, without thinking.

Of course it won't solve the problem of the very last one damage that could be potentially taken forever in case of astronaut+ medic. But at least spacecraft will be rendered useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Simpson
msg tools
I agree with folks who feel that there's something a bit off about doctors allowing consequence-free failed rendezvous attempts. If the game mechanics really do work that way, my personal inclination for a house rule would be that doctors heal for free at end of year, but can heal all astronauts on their ship immediately at the cost of a supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
Astronauts are components, and they can be damaged by events that cause you to damage a chosen component. Doctors can heal an astronaut as a free action on your turn.

Thematically, there have been some incidents that inspired the idea of astronauts possibly being injured during docking/separation and landing:
- The crew of Soyuz 11 died from air loss when a valve accidentally opened during separation from Salyut 1 in orbit.
- Vostok 1 failed to separate properly before reentry, putting the capsule into an 8 g spin.
- Soyuz 5 and Soyuz TMA-1 landed hard enough to injure an astronaut on board each.
- Soyuz TMA-11 was a mixed case: failure to properly separate before reentry caused a rough landing that injured an astronaut on board.

However, the idea that a doctor can just as easily fix a broken bone as heal radiation sickness is clearly not thematic.

To me that all sounds like damaging a non-astronaut component and then rolling a 1 on a D8 to see if an astronaut was also injured in the process.

I also like George Simpson's house rule above or if you choose to damage an astronaut instead of hardware the astronaut dies immediately instead of being incapacitated. Having two doctors on board should not hold the ship together better than one mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.