Popular Tags: [View All]
Beorne
Italy
Forli'
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old version, living Rules 1.1:
Quote:
Use this action to take rupees up to the acting card’s Rank. Take the rupees from players with Tribes in that Location or Roads in the Adjacent Connections. If collecting rupees from Roads, you may take them from any loyal player. You may tax other players who share your loyalty.
You may only tax if you have the more units (Tribes + Loyal Armies) in that location than any other player.

New version, living rules 1.2:
Quote:
Take rupees equal to the rank of the acting card. Rupees may be taken from any player whose tableau contains a card of the same location as the taxing card or any market card of that location.
A player may only Tax in a location if he has at least one tribe and more units (tribes + loyal armies) than any other player in that location.

In both rules you can tax on the action location and taxed money is protected by shelter.

Basically now you can tax cards even if there are no units in the taxed territory. This for streamlining the rules with the expansion. See https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1554109/wazirs-and-streamli...

For me the new taxation action is way too strong. Playing a spy or military card in foreign controlled territory now puts you in a very strong tax pressure, and in political turmoil phases you will end with no money except shelter. And you have already payed the tribes to play the card.
In the old way, if you were taxed it was highly likely you had some tribe on the territory that could raise for you some money and could in the future oppose to the control of the territory. Now you are completely helpless and only solution is discarding the affected card.

Thematically too it seems not appropriate. A spy card should be on cover and not taxated, and a military card shoud have military defenses against tribe taxation.

I think I'll keep the old rule if playing without the expansion.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorne wrote:
Playing a spy or military card in foreigner controled territory now puts you in a very strong tax pressure, and in political turmoil phases you will end with no money except shelter.

Isn't this somewhat the point? In the original rules, military and intelligence were somewhat dominant. In this version, political has more bite to it, and roads are less of a liability. At least, that's my first impression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole's reasoning is kinda hidden in a thread about the players aid

Cole Wehrle wrote:
There will only be 2 changes from 1.1 to 1.2.

The first change is the inclusion of a new rule at the head of section E that consolidates the way costs for actions are paid for the market. Nothing game changing here.

The second change is a revised Tax Action. I've taught Pamir probably 50 times and I've always dreaded the Tax rule. We wanted something simpler from the get-go, but it was hard to have it have the same game effect. The revised rule fixes this and helps re-balance the four modes. The Political mode gets stronger and the Intelligence mode gets weaker. Here's the new rule:

Quote:
E11. Tax (Political Special Action).

Use this action to take rupees up to the acting card’s Rank.

Restrictions. In order to tax a player needs to have at least one tribe and more units (tribes + loyal armies) than any other player in that location. Ties should be broken following the tie-breaker (A3)

Procedure. Take rupees equal to the rank of the acting card. Rupees may be taken from any player whose tableau contains a card of the same location as the taxing card or any market card of that location. Ex. Taxing with a rank 3 Herat card, the Ruler of Herat takes two rupees from a player whose tableau contains Bandits (an intelligence card in Herat) and another rupee from a Market Card located in Herat.

Tax Shelter. The total number of Economic stars on your Tableau indicates the amount of rupees you can shelter from the tax action. Only rupees you hold in excess of your Tax Shelter are vulnerable to the tax action.

The new ruler is both far easier to explain and provides a way for intelligence-crazy players to be brought down to earth. It's a win-win.

I haven't released this broadly yet because I am still testing it. It's been about 15 games since I've used the old Tax rules so I'm satisfied but I'm waiting on a few reports. I'm also thinking about adding in, as an optional rule, the new Wazirs from the expansion (it's just six cards and they don't need shuffled into the deck so its easy to make your own). The Wazirs grant access to a couple of new actions (Consolidate and Regime Change) so those sections would need to be added in as well.

That should be it.

There is more back and forth so if you want more detail just head over here https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/125363/pax-pamir-game-aid...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
First, thanks for your response. Rules are made to be challenged and I'm happy that you took the time to write a thoughtful inquiry into the tax rules.

Adapted from my response to the the previously cited thread:

Back during the game's development there was a big shift in design from being a card-focused game to being a map-focused game. The Tax Rules as published reflect that shift. In virtually every case the shift dramatically improved playability. However, because the Tax Action was still partly anchored on the taxing card's location, the action was kinda caught between two worlds. As I tried to improve it I didn't allow myself to consider the more straightforward options because they broke the dogma of "map first." This dogma, I think, created a fairly inelegant rule that demanded both a reference to the map (to check for majority and liable roads) and to player talbeaus (to check loyalty). Furthermore it allowed intelligence operations and military forces to escape taxation, which was highly ahistorical). Military forces of course could help ensconce a leader, but a small defense force would certainly be subject to the whims of the ruling party--espeically if they posed a threat.

The new rule works, in part, because it better recognizes that the Political action is entirely about locality. In practice it expands the tax liability dramatically (which also makes the tax shelters of economic cards better), but this allows the Rulers to pick favorites and gives the various places they control more individual character.

So, the new tax action was a small change that:
A. improved playability
B. adjusted the balance of the four modes (bringing down military and intelligence and improving economic and political)
C. allowed the various locations to have more character

These were all desirable things and after a couple dozen games I felt good enough about those changes to include them in the rules. The dozen games I've played since then have vindicated that choice.

Edit:
I should of course add that as board games are not video games I don't really have any kind of hegemonic "version control." The living rules just reflect my thinking on the game which has shifted over a year of plays and the reports of playtesters. I know at least one group that still plays by the rules as published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.