Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the limited H/W card setup (5 face cards for <6 players; 6 faceup cards for 6 players) you do not replenish the cards until the end of the phase.

My understanding of the main intent of this variant is so that new players are not overwhelmed with the choice (and reading) of new cards. It also means that players can't always rely on the same H/W based strategy to win but must adapt to what is available.

My question is: why do you think that the variant does not refresh the H/W cards at the end of each players turn so that each player always has 5 to choose from?

This would be closer to the operation of the standard unlimited H/W mode of play without overwhelming new players with choice.

Whilst it can be argued that the current variant "gives more power" to the Culture Leader, it is really more "take that" power than personal advantage - the power to give certain factions the least possible H/W choice (which is often not even a large consideration in the order selection in build order unless it it obvious that one faction wants a particular card and the leader wants to allow someone else the chance the buy it first). Indeed with the faster replenish it could be argued that the Culture Leader has more advantage - go first if there is something you like; go last if there isn't.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you pretty much answered your question with that last part.

In addition this is to avoid sitation where you buy something just to reveal something even better for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.