Skull Tales» Forums » General

Subject: How does this play solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Has anyone tried it on their own & how does it fair up?

Do you play as one or multiple characters, is it still fun etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
Laardge11 wrote:
Has anyone tried it on their own & how does it fair up?

Do you play as one or multiple characters, is it still fun etc?

I have played this game solo (the first mission so far) and it was so good I am going to complete the entire campaign solo (as well as a separate campaign with other players).

You play with the "ally" rules with the difference that you have 3 allies (not just 1). This is different to simply playing solo with 4 characters because the allies are very much simplified. They do not have gear cards and their special abilities are simple too. If one of them dies it does not end the game. You can all go separate ways or split into 2 groups or all just stick together. I've tried all those things. I had the surgeon character as an ally and, seeing as he isn't that great in combat, had him stay in safe spots most of the time as he can heal wounds.

I found myself jumping in front of my ally characters a few times to protect them (as they only have 2 HP). This makes you get attached to them in a really cool way. Even though it is solo, it feels like a team effort - I can't even say this of the game, Robinson Crusoe, so that's something special. There were times where, without thinking, I had one of them do something silly and get themselves into a tight spot. I was really hoping the dice would be kind to them when the enemy attacked. Again, that just feels awesome.

I highly recommend the solo mode. I am up to the first Voyage part of the game.

I did find it a little on the easy side (using the advanced enemy rules), but I was being very cautious. When one of us discovered a tile with 3 soldiers on it, the technique I would use was to pull back into a narrow path and hide around the corner. Then, when they move up one by one, I'd wipe them out with CQC - they can't get a shot in if they can't see you until they're right in front of you. Being shot at seems to be more dangerous than melee.

Timing is important too. You can make the player order whatever you want which means you can use special skills and combat skills strategically.

The design of the solo rules is perfect. I couldn't find any way to improve them.

If you have the game, give it a shot solo. It's well worth it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow, thanks Lenny for such a detailed review.

Yes, I have the game; the KS edition delivered ages ago, but it's still in shrink as I can't make my mind up as to whether to sell it or not. I'm leaning towards the 'not' now considering your high opinion of it solo.

I originally backed it to play with my son, but in the months between backing and receiving it, both our tastes have changed considerably. We tend not to play co-operative games and like much more aggressive competitive games. But contrastingly he doesn't play an awful lot, so often I'm left looking for a good solo game.

Maybe I already own it, and just need to try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Psycho Wolf
Germany
Saarbrücken
flag msg tools
mb
Yesterday I also tried the first scenario in a solo play and I've to admit, that it was really fun.

The only thing that bothers me, was the fact, that I catched myself, gathering up all members before revealing a new tile, since there's no round limitation in any way. (Or did I miss something here?)
This would not happen in a game with other characters, because they all want the loot and prestige.

The Voyage Phase does not differ that much, since the captain is the one to make the decisions, but I think it's a little easier, since there's no one, trying to fulfill some secret goals in order to raise a mutiny. The random cards may be rough too (Sea Monster), but at least they are random and not attached to a certain goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
PsychoWolf wrote:
The only thing that bothers me, was the fact, that I catched myself, gathering up all members before revealing a new tile, since there's no round limitation in any way.

Yes, that is the case. There is no time limit for moving around on revealed tiles. But I think that is fine, thematically.

I often split into two teams and they go in different directions. This adds a little tension as the difficulty is harder that way.

Solo is really good. The one thing you won't get during solo play is all the hilarity of playing with others. I'd throw my cleaver at an enemy and kill him, then my brother-in-law goes and stands his character on my cleaver so I need to shove him off it. It's just silly but makes the evening really funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.