Star Wars: Armada» Forums » Rules

Subject: how do cards work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M V
msg tools

I really can't understand how cards work:

Lets take for example Admiral Ackbar:
"Before a friendly ship's Attack Step, it may choose to attack from only its left and right hull zones this round. If it does, it may add 2 red dice to its attack pool while attacking a ship."

Does it mean:
-i can use the card for ANY ship during ANY attack*
-i can use for just 1 ship each turn
-i can use it just once in a game

*ex: i have 3 ships and i add the dices to each ship every round? (as long as i satisfy the condition)

----------------

Same thing works for other cards like crew, upgrades etc? (except the ones i have to rotate)?

Ty a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cards a enterpreted very literaly. In the case of Ackbar, the card states "Before a friendly ship's Attack Step", the are no additionla restrictions on the card limiting it to once per round or to the ship it is attached to, so you can use it for any friendly ship during any of its attacks.

Most other upgrades have a "you" on them, restricting who can use the effect. "You" and "Your" allways refere to the ship the card is attached to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
Thank you.

They seems quite powerful even too much :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He is an admiral. Generally the Admirals will empire command your entire fleet so other cards like Mon Mothma, Vader, Motti, Tarkin, Gael Iblis are also very strong too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is powerful, but being able to attack ONLY from the sides is a major drawback. I suspect squadrons parked in front of the Rebel flagship is the best counter, but I'm sure there are others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or Star Destroyers parked in front of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That can work too, but you basically have to commit to ramming repeatedly, where the squadrons can automagically keep pace if they're in front and the ship isn't moving too fast (say, an MC80).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VonDodo wrote:
Thank you.

Consider the MC80- adding two red dice from the side arc but preventing you from using three dice from the front arc. Burst damage vs dispersed damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Murkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card states "when attacking a ship", so it does not work against squadrons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murkland wrote:
The card states "when attacking a ship", so it does not work against squadrons.

Right, but you're still restricted in arcs if you want to use it, so you can't use the bonus on the side and take a shot at squadrons in front of you. It's also harder than it looks to completely avoid the side arcs when you're in front of an MC80 or Assault Frigate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
VonDodo wrote:
Thank you.

That's why it's worth 38 points. Trust me, once you really start playing, you are gonna miss those 38 points and wish you picked Dodonna for 20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.