Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miss Chelyn Fox
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

I want to add something new to my collection.
Something that plays and feels different enough from the games I already own. (to justify buying it modest).
So I know there still are a lot of game types/styles I don't own.
I would like to find a "bigger"game that has theme, games like Castles of Burgundy are way to abstract and thinky for my group.
When there is no table talk my little group gets kinda bored fast.

One of my latest purchases was Dead of Winter wich would be perfect if only it would be available in Dutch.
I waited since the release, hoping for a Dutch version..But up until now there is no sign of one.
So I bought it anyway.
Knowing it would not work due to the large ammounts of text.
I understand the text well enough to enjoy it.
But my husband has to put all his energy in reading/translating that it takes away all the fun he should have when playing.
So now I own this great game, but it will not hit the table often.
A little text would be oke, but the extensive use of text is just too much for my husband to really enjoy this game.
Same goes for Betrayal at House on the Hill, wich we tried. Up until the haunt it was fun.. but the haunt was a horrorstory on it's own. Due to the heavy use of text in the books.
My daughter was the traitor and although her English is good enough for most games, this was a little too much to handle.
Mostly because she wasn't sure on some details and couldn't ask my view on them. A shame really, this would be a blast if only we could play it with Dutch Haunts.

Zombicide has had me on the fence for quite some time now.
The moderate use of text would work fine.
I love the artwork and mini's. I like the theme and I know my group will too. Season 3 that is, the modern setting would go over well. We like co-op.

My (casual/Family) group likes games that are light, beer/pretzel style games.
Table talk, not to much thinking.. or more not so much serious thinking.
But after reading a lot of opinions on Zombicide it seems the game is a little too light to be interesting enough.
And games lasting 3/4 hours on top of that will not work at all for my group. The "get to point X, look at Point A on the way style" is maybe a little to light for us. Events or something like the crossroads system in DOW is something I think would keep things interesting.

Zombicide is far from cheap.. could this be a hit? Or should I stay away from it?
Also, I would love to hear some suggestions on games I could look at.

It has to play well with 4 players (6 would be a +)
Playtime around 1, max 2 hours would be best.
Not to much text if it's in english
Theme, Story, Fun, Tabletalk.. are key!

a few games they like.
Survive, Escape from atlantis is one of the games we still love and play. Not as often as we did, but it's still fun.
Camel Up My husband really likes this one. For me it's a little on the light side but I like it enough to play.
Carcassonne is a fam favorite
One Night Ultimate Werewolf We love this one!
Qwixx and other light games always go over well.
Pandemic also a favorite
Bang the dice game English, works oke.
Legends of Andor Maybe a little to puzzly but we still like it!

I really would like to add a "bigger" boardgame to my collection that gives us something fun and new.

I can use some suggestions! Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Zombicide?
Get Zombicide!
Do not get Zombicide!
      66 answers
Poll created by Geert Vinaskov
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading your post, I don't think Zombicide is too light. It is light compared to others in it's genre (dungeoncrawlers), but this genre is heavy in general. Compared to other games you listed, it's heavier without being overwhelming. For my tastes, there's enough complexity in the gameplay itself (sneaking around is less straightforward than it may appear).

I think it checks all your checkmarks.

Except your point about length, games lasting 3/4 hours... Yes. Major problem of Zombicide. This is a problem of the dungeoncrawler genre, and Zombicide has the same problem. It's simply too long.

For me, at least. Length and complexity are personal preferences
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios Tzeremes
Netherlands
Noordwijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to play Zombicide quite often in our group. Then we got Project:Elite, and Zombicide never hit the table again. With respect to your needs, it plays in 45mins to 1 hour, but the table talk is only limited during the Alien phase and after the game, since it contains a real time part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played only Black Plague, and it seemed way too simple and straightforward. The epitome of beer and pretzels, if you will. I am aware difficulty can be somewhat customized, but as that's true for any game, it's a moot point. Zombicide feels, as the name suggests, like a zombie shooting gallery. Would recommend Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game instead for a zombie apocalypse feeling game. It's a dicefest just like Zombicide (maybe slightly more so with roll&move), yet you can interact with the world a bit more, there's more events that spice the game up, the game is cheaper to get into (but at the same time has plenty of expansion content). BUT! 1-2 of the players play as the zombies. For me, that makes it better than Zcide, it's just more enjoyable to have a human opponent, especially one that can roleplay the zombies well :-) But I know people who won't touch it because full coop is the only way they can play, so ymmv.

However, I think LnoE, Zombicide, Dead Of Winter and Betrayal (haunt excluded) all have similar levels of text, so if DoW was too much, I'm not sure any of the others will fare better.

A side note, I own DoW, LnoE and Betrayal and all three have a distinct separate place in my collection. If there's another Kickstarter, I'll probably also get a version of Zombicide as well (refuse to buy retail stuff from CMON, the completionist in me feels completely shafted by so little content compared to KS), though it may clash with LnoE more so than with the other games.

EDIT: These days it's maybe better to start off with Last Night on Earth: Timber Peak, it's a newer standalone expansion/remake that introduced new features like experience, making it even more directly comparable to Zcide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
Zombicide is pretty sandboxy in terms of game length, I've found. Sticking to smaller maps with fewer objectives definitely helps keep games to a reasonable length. My Zombicide: Black Plague runs are typically 30 minutes to 90 minutes, now that everyone knows what they're doing.

EDIT: I do agree with the above that the retail version of the Zombicide games do seem rather lacking compared to the Kickstarters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yiorgolas wrote:
We used to play Zombicide quite often in our group. Then we got Project:Elite, and Zombicide never hit the table again. With respect to your needs, it plays in 45mins to 1 hour, but the table talk is only limited during the Alien phase and after the game, since it contains a real time part.

To each their own, but imo Project Elite is average at best(rank 3000 - so BGG somewhat agrees), also horrible horrible miniatures quality. On top of that, I think generic zombie theme is a bit more acceptable for a general audience than generic sci-fi.

Now I know ranks and scores are not an assurance or anything, but I find them very useful as an indicator of probability that you're going to like that game, once you know that it is what you're looking for. Kind of a bet. All things being even, statistically you're more likely to enjoy the higher rated game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
I would recommend the Black Plague version. It fixes some of the issues w/ the regular Zombicide, targeting survivors being the main one. There is some text on the cards, but most of it is easy enough that people will be able to pick up on what's what soon enough. Since it is also a co-op you won't have the issue you did w/ Betrayal. I also think there is enough in the base box to get a feel for it and then you can decide if you want to add in the extra bits. For the most part all they do is add little tweaks to the basic rules. Can make it a little more fun/interesting if you get too used to the base game, but I don't think any are "required".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chelyn,

After checking your game collection, I found there are no dudes on the map games. If you want to add something new to your collection, you may consider these beside Zombicide. Most are language independent with minimal text.

Cyclades
Kemet
Blood Rage
Room 25
Lancaster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide is basically just moving around and blasting zombies. There's typically objectives and whatnot, but really, it's mostly blasting zombies.

If that sounds fun, you'd probably enjoy it. I've had fun with it, but my group grew out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ultracheng wrote:

Lancaster

Agree on the rest, but how is Lancaster dudes on a map? There are no dudes, only the map and wooden blocks - that to me screams wargame, if anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would only consider Zombicide: Black Plague from its family since they made a more sensible version of the rules for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil McIntyre
United Kingdom
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Something else.

Anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades is excellent and has zero in game text, it's all symbols as far as I remember. The theme is super strong, the gameplay is unique and interesting, art is beautiful, the only drawback is it's quite cutthroat and has player elimination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ZeeDeveel wrote:
Cyclades has player elimination.

That's not true. Per rules you're not allowed to attack a player's last island unless such a move would immediately end the game. I've seen people come back from such an inconvenience, since you do get bonus gold for having only one island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert V Tobal
Spain
Villaviciosa de Odon
Madrid
flag msg tools
Zombicide is a perfectly enjoyable and accessible game with the added benefit of being very sandboxy. This means there's a continuous influx of user created missions (you could even design your own missions). It's a bit light for seasoned gamers but it's still quite fun. If you're patient, I'd wait for the next zombicide kickstarter as the amount of content you get is unmatched by a marginally higher cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Chov
China
BEIJING
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see that you entered the Captain Sonar contest.

It's not at its best with 4, but for when you do have 6 or more, and play real time, you should have a lot of fun. We did!

If you don't win, look at getting a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
ZeeDeveel wrote:
Cyclades has player elimination.

That's not true. Per rules you're not allowed to attack a player's last island unless such a move would immediately end the game. I've seen people come back from such an inconvenience, since you do get bonus gold for having only one island.

Oh, apparently I missed that rule lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We totally love zombies games here but with your recommendation requirements I would drop Zombicide for Run, Fight, or Die! .

If you still succumb to Zombicide it might be good to go for the more streamlined Zombicide: Black Plague.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zpocalypse or the upcoming Zpocalypse 2: Defend the Burbs are great alternative zombie games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klim Chugunkin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Bootleggers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miss Chelyn Fox
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for making a poll.. the results are just as doubtful as I am.
Get Zombicide! 59.1%
Do not get Zombicide! 40.9%

After reading all answers I do think Zombicide could work for us.
But it will be best to wait and see if there will be a new modern themed version, and back/get the kickstarter version.
This will give me enough time to think this over too, and maybe try to find a place where I cam try Zombicide in the meantime to get a feel for the game.

Although Black Plague is the better game the fantasy theme will not work as well for us as the modern the will.
Spells (and other fantasy stuff) will not go over as well as modern themed weapons will..

Last Night on Earth (or LNOE timber peak) looks like a fun game!
It seems text heavy, just like DOW.
I think the amount of English on the cards in Zombicide is doable.
DOW and Betrayal are to much really.. I wish they weren't.
Thank you all for taking the time to reply.
Funny poll results too

I did see some interesting other game suggestions too. Thanks!
I will investigate those in the upcoming days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miss Chelyn Fox
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmb
trevorandlinda wrote:
Glad to see that you entered the Captain Sonar contest.

It's not at its best with 4, but for when you do have 6 or more, and play real time, you should have a lot of fun. We did!

If you don't win, look at getting a copy.

I will for sure!
Just found out Captain sonar has a multilingual/dutch edition. Perfect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Get Zombicide. Get season 1 and if you love it go from there. You don't need to get Black Plague (I've not heard good things) or wait for a newer version, season 1 is fine. Once you're familiar with that one there are plenty of expansions!

As for streamlined rules, you can just read those online and apply them to your game. They are just words on paper, nothing has physically changed. The beauty of Zombicide is that you can house rule to your heart's content, it even suggests this in the rulebook! My friends and I have house ruled a lot of this game and it doesn't change the basic experience, it just makes it more fun.

You sound exactly like I did before I bought it, and I never regretted it. Honestly, go for it, it's EXACTLY the kind of experience you are asking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Options with a lot of table talk and minimal text:

Space Alert

Co-op game the "requires" fast and clear communication.

Zombie 15'
Co-op 15 minute race-the-clock games with a campaign storyline.

Battlestar Galactica
Co-op, hidden traitor, game with a very immersive theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.