$35.00
Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
84 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Interesting World - What are the 5 most interesting facts about your country? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting World

I am making a game and a book about interesting facts about most of the countries in the world.
I need the 5 most interesting facts you can think of.
The facts should be unique to each country or very close.

I have been working on this for over a year.
I taught high school geography and this was a project.
I want to organize here instead of being on tons of broken word files.
Most of the research is hand written, I will need to key it in.

Please comment below on anything I should add!

5 sections (50 each)
Americas and Oceania (South America, Central America, Caribbean, North America and Oceania)
Asia
Africa
Europe
USA (50 States)




AMERICAS AND OCEANIA

South America
Argentina
1. First country to use fingerprints for identification.
2. Political parties have their own brands of beer.
3. It has the highest number of psychiatrists per capita in the world.
4. In 2001, they had 5 presidents in 10 days.
5. Invented radio of broadcasting.

Bolivia
1. Largest butterfly sanctuary in the world.
2. Most homes have a dried llama fetus under its foundations for luck.
3. Hotel made almost entirely of salt, complete with salt beds and chairs.
4.
5.

Brazil
1. Prisoners can reduce their sentence by 4 days for every book they read.
2. The biggest Japanese community outside of Japan.
3. In 1958 a rhinoceros was a candidate in the city council elections.
4. Brazil is the world’s first country to ban tanning beds.
5. Voting is mandatory.

Chile
1. World’s largest swimming pool.
2. The oldest mummy in the world.
3. One of the longest coastlines in the world.
4.
5.

Colombia
1. Most diversity of birds in the world.
2. The Liquid Rainbow," is considered the most colorful river in the world
3.
4.
5.

Ecuador
1. Exports 2 trillion dollars worth of banana each year.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Paraguay
1. Only country in the world with a 2-sided flag.
2. Home don’t have doorbells visitors must clap.
3. Largest navy in the world for a land locked county.
4. World’s largest hydroelectric power plant.
5.

Peru
1. Farmers grow 55 varieties of corn.
2. It’s tradition to give yellow underpants as a gift.
3.
4.
5.

Uruguay
1. Largest national anthem in the world.
2. World’s first country to legalize marijuana.
3. Only country to keep track of 100 per cent of its cattle.
4.
5.

Venezuela
1. The world’s tallest waterfall.
2. Cheapest gasoline in the world.
3.
4.
5.

French Guiana
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Guyana
1. Only English-speaking country in South America.
2. National motto “one people, one nation, one destiny”
3.
4.
5.

Suriname
1. Parental permission needed to get married if under the age of 30.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Central America
Belize
1. Hosts the only jaguar reserve in the world.
2. Only English speaking country in Central America.
3.
4.
5.

Costa Rica
1. Every radio station plays the national anthem at 7:am.
2.
3.
4.
5.

El Salvador
1. Only Central American country that doesn’t have a Caribbean coastline.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Guatemala
1. Country name means land of tress.
2. Chocolate originated here.
3.
4.
5.

Honduras
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Nicaragua
1. Contains the only island in the world with two volcanoes.
2. The only fresh water sharks in the world.
3.
4.
5.

Panama
1. They build most expensive railroad in the world.
2. The only fresh water sharks in the world.
3.
4.
5.

North America
Canada
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Mexico
1. Good food.
2. The only country.
3.
4.
5.

United States
1. oh
2.
3.
4.
5.

Caribbean
Bahamas
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Cuba
1. Good food.
2. The only country.
3.
4.
5.

Dominican Republic
1. oh
2.
3.
4.
5.




Oceania
Australia
1. Most obese people in the world.
2. More kangaroos than people.
3. Highest electricity price in the world.
4. The world oldest fossil.
5. Exports camels to Saudi Arabia.

Fiji
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Kiribati
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Marshall islands
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Micronesia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Nauru
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

New Zealand
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Palau
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Papua new guinea
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Samoa
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Solomon Island
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Tonga
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Tuvalu
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Vanuatu
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.


ASIA

Afghanistan
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Bahrain
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Bangladesh
1. The population is composed of farmers.
2. It’s considered a sign of immaturity to smile.
3. The national game is called Kabbadi.
4. Home to the largest river delta in the world.
5. Cyclone killed 500,000 people.

Bhutan
1. Only country in the world where it’s illegal to sell tobacco.
2. It’s forbidden to marry foreigners.
3. The capital city has no traffic lights.
4. They have mandatory national dress code.
5. Last country in the world introduce TV to its people.

Brunei
1. The belalong tree frog can only be found in Brunei.
2. They point using their thumbs.
3. No one shakes hands with opposite sex.
4. Homosexuality is punishable by stoning to death.
5. All citizens receive free education and medical care.

Cambodia
1. They don’t celebrate birthday.
2. The only flag featuring a building.
3. Highest per-capita percentage of amputees in the world.
4. Weddings are quite involved and can go three days and three nights.
5. Half the current population is younger than15 years old.

China
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

East Timor
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Hong Kong
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Indonesia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

India
1. Chess was invented here.
2. Yoga originated here about 5,000 years ago.
3. It’s illegal for foreigners to take local currency out of the country.
4. Home to the wettest place on earth.
5. A man married a dog at punishment.

Iraq
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Iran
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Israel
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Japan
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Jordan
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Kazakhstan
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Kuwait
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Kyrgyzstan
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Laos
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Lebanon
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Macau
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Malaysia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Maldives
1. The weekend is on Friday and Saturday.
2. The lowest and flattest country in the world.
3. Alcohol is prohibited everywhere except resort hotels.
4. The first underwater cabinet meeting.
5. Established by an exiled prince.

Mongolia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Myanmar
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Nepal
1. Never under any foreign invasion.
2. Only living goddess in the world.
3. Only country with a non-rectangular flag.
4. Touching anything with your feet in considered offensive.
5. Greet others by putting palms together and bowing their forehead.

North Korea
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Oman
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Pakistan
1. Highest mountain ranges n the world.
2. The world’s largest volunteer ambulance organization.
3. Largest deep sea port in the world.
4.
5.

Philippines
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Qatar
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Russia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Saudia Arabia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Singapore
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Sri Lanka
1. Cinnamon originated here and discovered by the Egyptians.
2. World largest tea exporter
3. First woman in the world to be elected head of state.
4. Nodding your head means the opposite.
5. Known aster “pearl of me Indian ocean”

South Korea
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Syria
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Taiwan
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Tajikistan
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Thailand
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Turkey
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Turkmenistan
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

United Arab Emirates
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Uzbekistan
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Vietnam
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Yemen
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

African Islands
*Comoros
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

*Mauritius
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

*Seychelles
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.




EUROPE

Albania
1. 3 million people, but only 3,000 cars.
2. 700,000 bunkers from the communist regime.
3. They shake their hand side to side means yes or no.
4.
5.

Andorra
1. Average life span is 83.
2. Male head of house is required by law to own a gun.
3. The official language is Catalan.
4. No airport and railroad only way reach there is by car or bus.
5. No national bank and had never had its own currency.

Austria
1. 1/4 of population lives in the capital.
2. There have the world largest ice cave.
3.
4.
5.

Belarus
1. Every year people find the most treasure.
2. No university in there.
3.
4.
5.

Belgium
1. More castles per square kilometer than any country.
2. Longest rail network
3. World’s first lottery.
4. Largest diamond trading center.
5. Highest of roads and railroads in the world.

Bosnia Herzegovina
1. Nicknamed the heart shaped land due to the country’s slight heart shape.
2. Has the tenth highest coffee consumption per capital in the world.
3. There are three official languages which are all really the same.
4. national symbol golden lily
5. have a pyramid

Bulgaria
1. Bulgaria is the only country in Europe that hasn’t changed its name since it was first established.
2. The oldest gold treasure in the world was found in Bulgaria.
3. Bulgarians shake their heads to mean yes and nod for no.
4. army has never lost a single flag in battle.
5. The roses grown in Bulgaria’s “Rose Valley” produce most (70-85%) of the world’s rose oil – a component in most perfumes.

Croatia
1. slaves write there
2. there are croats even on moon
3. in Croatia sea plays organs
4. giant truffles come from Croatia
5. no static beaches
 
Cyprus
1. A whole town has World Heritage status
2. It has the world's oldest wine label
3. The ancient tombs are rock solid
4. The last monarch of Cyprus was Queen Catherine Cornaro, who abdicated in 1489.
5. There is a map of Cyprus on its flag, the only nation to do so until Kosovo did the same in 2008.
 
Czech republic
1. land of the castles over 2000 castles
2. largest castles in the world
3. highly education
4. worlds heaviest consumers of beer
5.

Denmark
1. Danes enjoy salty licorice with a cold glas of milk.
2. The Danish language has no word for "please"
3. With no mountains in Denmark, biking is never uphill!
4. Denmark doesn't have bike lanes, they have special elevated roads for bicycles!. 
5. Danes have a strong sense of irony.

Estonia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Finland
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

France
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Germany
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Greece
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Hungary
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Iceland
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Ireland
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Italy
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Kosovo
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Latvia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Liechtenstein
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.


Lithuania
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Luxembourg
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Macedonia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Malta
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Moldova
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Monaco
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Montenegro
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Netherlands
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Norway
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Poland
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Portugal
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Romania
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

San Marino
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Serbia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Slovakia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Slovenia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.


Spain
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Sweden
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Switzerland
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Ukraine
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

United Kingdom
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Vatican City
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.



AFRICA

Algeria
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Angola
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Benin
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Botswana
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Burkina Faso
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Burundi
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Cameroon
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Central African Republic
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Chad
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Congo, Democratic Republic of the
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Djibouti
1. Saltiest lake outside of Antarctica.
2. Taxi fares in Djibouti increase 50% after sunset
3.
4.
5.

Egypt
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Equatorial Guinea
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Eritrea
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Ethiopia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5. '

Gabon
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Gambia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Ghana
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Guinea
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Guinea-Bissau
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Kenya
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Lesotho
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Liberia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Libya
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Madagascar
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Malawi
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Mali
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Mauritania
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Morocco
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Mozambique
1. Mozambique has only national flag with a modern weapon on it .
2.
3.
4.
5.

Namibia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Niger
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Nigeria
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Rwanda
1. World's highest population of women in parliament .
2. First country in the world to ban plastic bags.
3.
4.
5.

Sao Tome and Principe
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Senegal
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Sierra Leone
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Somalia
1. Only country that doesn't posses a central from of government.
2.
3.
4.
5.

South Africa
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

South Sudan
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Sudan
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Swaziland
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Tanzania
1. The world's only tree-climbing lions live here.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Togo
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Tunisia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Uganda
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Zambia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Zimbabwe
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.



USA (50 States)

Alabama
1. Yellowhammer State
2. Audemus jura nostra defendere
3. The world's first Electric Trolley System was introduced in Montgomery in 1886.
4. Alabama workers built the first rocket to put humans on the moon.
5. Alabama is the only state with all major natural resources needed to make iron and steel. It is also the largest supplier of cast-iron and steel pipe products.

Alaska
1. The Last Frontier. The Land of the midnight Sun.
2. North to the future.
3. Prudhoe Bay, on the northern Alaskan coast, is North America's largest oil field.
4. Nearly one-third of Alaska lies within the Arctic Circle.
5. The Tongass National Forest is the largest national forest in the United States.

Arizona
1. The Grand Canyon State. The Copper State.
2. Ditat Deus.
3. The Arizona trout is found only in the Arizona.
4. The world's largest solar telescope is located at Kitts Peak National Observatory in the city of Sells.
5. The Arizona trout is found only in the Arizona.


Arkansas
1. The Natural State. The Land of Opportunity.
2. Regnat Populus.
3. North Little Rock offers one of the nation's largest municipal parks.
4. The Arkansas River is the longest stream to flow into the Mississippi-Missouri river system.
5. The World's Championship Duck Calling Contest is held annually in Stuttgart.

California
1. The Golden State.
2. Eureka
3. The largest three-day rodeo in the United States is held on the Tehama County Fairgrounds in Red Bluff.
4. The first motion picture theater opened in Los Angeles on April 2, 1902.
5. San Francisco Bay is considered the world's largest landlocked harbor.

Colorado
1. The Centennial State
2. Nothing WithoutProvidence
3. The world's largest flat-top mountain is in Grand Mesa.
4. The highest paved road in North America is the Road to Mt. Evans off of I-70 from Idaho Springs.
5. Every year Denver host the worlds largest Rodeo, the Western Stock show.

Connecticut
1. Constitution State
2. He Who Transplanted Sustains
3. The USS Nautilus - the world's first nuclear powered submarine was built in Groton in 1954.
4. Connecticut is home to the oldest U.S. newspaper still being published:
5. In 1937, Connecticut became the first state to issue permanent license plates for cars.

Delaware
1. The First State
2. Liberty and Independent
3. Delaware was the first state to ratify the United States constitution. It did so on December 7, 1787.
4. The nation's first scheduled steam railroad began in New Castle in 1831.
5. Delaware is the only state without any National Park System units such as national parks, seashores, historic sites, battlefields, memorials, and monuments

Florida
1. Sunshine State
2. In Good We Trust
3. Saint Augustine is the oldest European settlement in North America
4. Miami installed the first bank automated teller machine especially for rollerbladers.
5. Key West has the highest average temperature in the United States.

Georgia
1. Peach State
2. Wisdom.Justice and Moderation
3. The oldest portable steam engine in the United States is on display at Historic Railroad Shops in Savannah.
4. Known as the sweetest onion in the world, the Vidalia onion can only be grown in the fields around Vidalia and Glennville
5. The world's largest Infantry training center is located at Fort Benning.

Hawaii
1. Aloha State
2. Ua Mau Ke Ea O Ka Āina I Pono
3. Hawaii is the only state that grows coffee
4. More than one-third of the world's commercial supply of pineapples comes from Hawaii
5. The island houses the world's biggest telescope and more scientific observatories in one place than anywhere else in the world.

Idaho
1. Gem State.
2. Let It Be Perpetual
3. Idaho's world famous hot springs are located in Lava Hot Springs.
4. Bruneau Dunes State Park contains North America's tallest single structured sand dune. It stands 470 feet high.
5. Hell's Canyon is the deepest gorge in America

Illinois
1. Prairie State
2. State Severingty National Uion
3. The world's first Skyscraper was built in Chicago, 1885.
4. Illinois had two capital cities, Kaskaskia, and Vandalia before Springfield
5. The world's largest cookie and cracker factory

Indiana
1. Hoosier State
2. The Crossroad Of America
3. The first professional baseball game was played here, 1871.
4. Indiana's shoreline with Lake Michigan is only 40 miles long, but Indiana is still considered a Great Lakes State.
5. Explorers Lewis and Clark set out from Fort Vincennes on their exploration of the Northwest Territory.

Iowa
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Kansas
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Kentucky
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Louisiana
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Maine
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Maryland
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Massachusetts
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.


Michigan
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Minnesota
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Mississippi
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Missouri
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Montana
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Nebraska
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Nevada
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

New Hampshire
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

New Jersey
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

New Mexico
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

New York
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

North Carolina
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

North Dakota
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Ohio
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Oklahoma
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Oregon
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Pennsylvania
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Rhode Island
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

South Carolina
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

South Dakota
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Tennessee
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Texas
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Utah
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
Vermont
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Virginia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Washington
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

West Virginia
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Wisconsin
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Wyoming
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
UK appears to be missing.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charalampos Tsakiris
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
Greece

1. The concept of democracy was first set and developed here.
2. Is just a very small country but in the 11th position in the coastal area coverage, in the world.
3. Had develped one of the most ancient civilizations in Europe, located in Cyclades, around 3000-2000 BC
4. Most of the Apostle's books in the Bible direct or have refference to many Greek cities
5. Military service in Greece is mandatory for men and it's the second country of the world for spending a big portion of it's GNP (gross natural product) in defence weapon systems.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
Vanuatu: has more distinct languages per capita than any other place in the world.
Imported cows to clear the ground to make it easier to find coconuts.
Now exports beef.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
slashing wrote:
UK appears to be missing.


Yeah, I thought they left Europe!

I am missing everything after Spain.
I will fix it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
casualcasual wrote:
Vanuatu: has more distinct languages per capita than any other place in the world.
Imported cows to clear the ground to make it easier to find coconuts.
Now exports beef.


Nice, Thanks
More?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
Not answering your question, but just wondering: is there a reason that you have given USA the status of a continent, and (some) states the same status as countries elsewhere?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Pitiot
Finland
flag msg tools
How about a cake break!
badge
How about a cake break!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
Finland:
- there is 1 sauna in Finland for every 3 inhabitants (about 2 millions saunas accounted for a population of 5.3 million)
- Finland is sometimes called the country of the thousands of lakes. It actually has 187888 lakes
- Finnish is one of the hardest language. Only one finnish word is used in english: sauna
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
Vanuatu: is home to a village who worship Prince Phillip and are awaiting his second coming
Is the place where bungee jumping was invented
Is home to the world's most accessible active volcano (Mt Yasur) and the world's most accessible wreck for diving (SS President Coolidge).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rice
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blah Blah Blah
badge
I didn't know what else to do with the GG
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
New Hampshire
1) The Granite State
2) Live Free or Die
3) First state to declare independence from England
4) Home to "oldest summer resort in America" (Wolfeboro)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
polyobsessive wrote:
Not answering your question, but just wondering: is there a reason that you have given USA the status of a continent, and (some) states the same status as countries elsewhere?


Yes, each is a group of 50.
Think of it like 5 decks of cards each with 50 countries
But one deck is 50 states.

It will be fixed soon
I am combining all these old messed files my students typed.
I have way more info than what is here so far.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
I am English but what is my country?

England or
The United Kingdom (England Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland)
The British Isles (England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland)
Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales)

In football we are represented by individual countries. At the Olympics we are represented by team GB.

Oh and Brittany is not English but part of France (but used to belong to the British).

Another interesting fact there are only 22 countries in the world that the British have not invaded (yet!)

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
Mirth123 wrote:
New Hampshire
1) The Granite State
2) Live Free or Die
3) First state to declare independence from England
4) Home to "oldest summer resort in America" (Wolfeboro)


The idea with the states was to do the nickname and the motto for 1 & 2
and 3 facts, maybe one weird law. We haven't really worked on the states yet. I see you figured that out!! Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
Zark wrote:
I am English but what is my country?

England or
The United Kingdom (England Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland)
The British Isles (England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland)
Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales)

In football we are represented by individual countries. At the Olympics we are represented by team GB.

Oh and Brittany is not English but part of France (but used to belong to the British).

Another interesting fact there are only 22 countries in the world that the British have not invaded (yet!)


I will call it the United Kingdom
But I get your point.
I live in Taiwan, we are pissed we are called Chinese Taipei in the Olympics.

That invasion fact could be one! Not sure any other country can say that!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
What might not be clear from David's post is that The Republic of Ireland is a separate country (usually just called Ireland) to Northern Ireland (which is part of the UK) but I'm presuming the OP know this.

Zark wrote:
In football we are represented by individual countries. At the Olympics we are represented by team GB.


In different sports the British Isles have different numbers of teams:

Football - 5 teams (4 UK nations + Ireland)
Rugby Union - 4 teams, England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland (inc N Ireland)
Cricket - 3 teams - Ireland (inc N Ireland), England & Wales, Scotland
Olympics - 2 countries (UK & Ireland)

I don't know if there are any sports where there is one team (British & Irish Lions in Rugby Union doesn't really count) or more than 5 teams (Commonwealth Games has the Isle of Man but not Republic of Ireland and the Channel Islands are part of the British Isles).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
http://www.factslides.com/s-UK has some facts. I'm not sure whether any are good for you game but some are quite entertaining.

Quote:
Alcohol is prohibited in the UK Parliament with one exception: the chancellor can drink while delivering the annual budget statement.


Quote:
The British Navy uses Britney Spears' songs to scare off Somali pirates.


Quote:
After the Crimean war, and until 1916, soldiers in the British army were required to sport mustaches.


Ok, this one might be good:

Quote:
The UK is the only country not required to name itself on its postage stamps.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rice
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blah Blah Blah
badge
I didn't know what else to do with the GG
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
Hackogames wrote:
Mirth123 wrote:
New Hampshire
1) The Granite State
2) Live Free or Die
3) First state to declare independence from England
4) Home to "oldest summer resort in America" (Wolfeboro)


The idea with the states was to do the nickname and the motto for 1 & 2
and 3 facts, maybe one weird law. We haven't really worked on the states yet. I see you figured that out!! Thanks.


OK, I didn't want to come off sounding like the New Hampshire Chamber of commerce

Here is a #5
5) The first potato planted in the United States was at Londonderry Common Field in 1719 (Your Welcome America!)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
Mirth123 wrote:
Hackogames wrote:
Mirth123 wrote:
New Hampshire
1) The Granite State
2) Live Free or Die
3) First state to declare independence from England
4) Home to "oldest summer resort in America" (Wolfeboro)


The idea with the states was to do the nickname and the motto for 1 & 2
and 3 facts, maybe one weird law. We haven't really worked on the states yet. I see you figured that out!! Thanks.


OK, I didn't want to come off sounding like the New Hampshire Chamber of commerce

Here is a #5
5) The first potato planted in the United States was at Londonderry Common Field in 1719 (Your Welcome America!)


your #5 is the best one
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiarnan Murphy
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
Nearly 30% of greenhouse emissions in Ireland are produced by cows.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
cry

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
deedob wrote:
cry

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.


I love Canada
It's coming, trying to organize.
I can't find updated lists.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiarnan Murphy
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
Mirth123 wrote:

Here is a #5
5) The first potato planted in the United States was at Londonderry Common Field in 1719 (Your Welcome America!)


You sure about that one? Cos potatoes are indigenous to the Americas and had been brought from the Americas to Europe as early as the 1500s, where it was farmed extensively.
It doesn't make sense to me that they would drag it all the way back to Europe and farm it there but not plant it in any of the colonies right on the doorstep of where they found it for another 150 years.
Now I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying it doesn't make any sense to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bobson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
The sun has still not yet set on the British Empire (and probably won't)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
Japan - home of Kongō Gumi Co., Ltd., the world's oldest continuously ongoing independent company, operating for over 1,400 years until it was absorbed as a subsidiary in 2006.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting World - What's the most interesting fact about your country?
Hackogames wrote:
Zark wrote:

Another interesting fact there are only 22 countries in the world that the British have not invaded (yet!)

That invasion fact could be one! Not sure any other country can say that!

Really? Which ones have we missed? It seems like something of an oversight, rather than a deliberate slight on those countries. I'm sure there are many excellent reasons why they would be worth invading. I hope they don't feel left out.
9 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.