12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » England

Subject: Board game shops in Halifax? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dub
msg tools
Hi,

I'm heading to lovely Halifax soon and wanted to check out any local board game shops. Are there any?

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayde Bowen
United Kingdom
West Yorks
flag msg tools
Broadly nothing. There is a computer game and comic shop that does GW business. The model shop has a good supply of plastic models but no board games. Both these shops are on the road with WH Smiths but at the Peace Hall end.
Closest stockists of the usual suspects are Travelling Man, Fun Boy 3 and Forbidden Planet in Manchester and Travelling Man in Leeds. There is also a gaming centre in Holmfirth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hughes
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
graydebowen wrote:

Closest stockists of the usual suspects are Travelling Man, Fun Boy 3 and Forbidden Planet in Manchester and Travelling Man in Leeds. There is also a gaming centre in Holmfirth.

Not quite. IQ Games Centre in Huddersfield is a very good game shop and is closer than Leeds or Manchester. It has a games free to use games library of over 300 games and has playing space over three levels. You can even look round it on google maps!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x487bdc6da2fad...

(wow, that's a long URL)

Huddersfield also has two other games shops - A Games workshop one and a model/game shop called Something Wicked. IQ Games is the most comprehensive though

There has also been a wargames centre open in Halifax itself recently I think, but I'm not sure of the details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hughes
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, my condolences about having to go to Halifax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dub
msg tools
That's a shame but thanks for your quick and useful reply
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dub
msg tools
Heh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayde Bowen
United Kingdom
West Yorks
flag msg tools
Trust me that it is easier to get to Leeds or Manchester than to the obviously closer Huddersfield either by car or by the quick yet infrequent train service when starting in Halifax unless you live out on the road to Huddersfield. This is due to a mix of hills and abominable town centre planning. I should like to get the to the Huddersfield stores but it is too much like hard work from where I live (up another hill).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any board game shop there should call itself the Halifax Hammer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Goddard
England
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really isn't that hard to get to Huddersfield from Halifax and I would agree with Dan that IQ is worth a visit if you have a chance to go.

Thanks to Grayde for bringing the Holmfirth gaming centre to my attention, just had a quick look at their facebook page and it looks worth tracking down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools

Hi Nick

There is a wargaming group I attend on a Wednesday evening close to Halifax Town Centre and usually about once a month we'll play board games.

Drop me e message if you want to check it out.

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Davenport
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
There's also Table Top in Burnley and Colne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dubchild wrote:
Hi,

I'm heading to lovely Halifax soon and wanted to check out any local board game shops. Are there any?

Cheers

Hahahahahahahaaaa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.