Bright Future» Forums » General

Subject: Tunel Fever - Issues rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought this game specialy for Tunnel Fever coop scenario. I love the idea, artwork etc. After playing several games solo and in two players - assuming we played it correctly - I found some parts unbalanced. (please correct me if I'm doing something wrong)

Setup
Initial codes in infection area: sometimes you get three 3s and you have very small chance to win. Sometimes you get three 1s and you win in 2-3 turns with luck. So difficulty is significantly changing randomly.

Tunnel Cards
It can easily happen that you never get the card you need (like Shelter Map) in solo or even in two players game.
(Solution: draw 4? card in solo and 3? card in 2 players?)

Map Cards

Discussed here in forum and fixed in Rules 1.2 already. Didn't try so far so I don't know how this improves gameplay.
Still it seams to me lot of cards to explore when you are unlucky with initial infection area setup.

Food / Quest Tokens
Nice element but they barely get into play. This issue may be linked to those mentioned above.

Any thoughts, suggestions, variations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Do
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
I've played it many many times, seems fine to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Bronson

Kansas City
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enzoone wrote:

Setup
Initial codes in infection area: sometimes you get three 3s and you have very small chance to win. Sometimes you get three 1s and you win in 2-3 turns with luck. So difficulty is significantly changing randomly.

If you have a situation with more than 2 code #s, mercs can be your best friend. I have won games like you describe easily with the right mercenaries. You would just need one 3 and the right merc to capitalize on that. Otherwise, smart choice of infection phase effects helps. Try to keep code count low on one or two stacks if you can, so that a local doctor can help you clear a stack entirely.

enzoone wrote:
Tunnel Cards
It can easily happen that you never get the card you need (like Shelter Map) in solo or even in two players game.
(Solution: draw 4? card in solo and 3? card in 2 players?)

I have encountered this problem, but it goes away with experience- If you shuffle the tunnel cards each round as intended, you could never encounter the shelter map. So- don't count on it. Save that biologist for late game, when you have several codes and can clear your last one or two stacks at once. Treat it as if it's a one shot deal for awhile, and it will make you a much better player. Alternatively, you could just draw tunnel cards, only reshuffling when you have gone through them all. This pretty much guarantees you will see each card at least once.

enzoone wrote:
Map Cards
Discussed here in forum and fixed in Rules 1.2 already. Didn't try so far so I don't know how this improves gameplay.
Still it seams to me lot of cards to explore when you are unlucky with initial infection area setup.

Do try the latest rules in relation to this. It solves this problem in my opinion.

enzoone wrote:
Food / Quest Tokens
Nice element but they barely get into play. This issue may be linked to those mentioned above.

The food tokens can be integral to how you win, especially if you are playing the ratcatcher. But they're useful for any character. You won't have resources to survive the tunnels and pay for that (3) local doctor to eliminate deadly 3s from your code stack in many cases without a economic boost. Don't always use it, but look for opportunities where you know it will pay off. (for instance if you pull a random settlement and get the rat farm, and need to go to the local doctor which you know is Serdika Station, it would be wise to get rid of your low cost human items and get rat meat, then trade at Serdika for 9 resources apiece. Tunnel cards that let you reveal settlements can also aid you in setting up combos like this. Don't get too greedy with your trading. Even selling your food tokens at the next opportunity can be a good move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it guys. Game is ok - we are just lousy players. blush I had a suspicion.

EDIT: Ok, I tried it - on easy so far - with updated rules for Map Cards and I can say it realy solves the problem. It is playable now - with certain amount of luck - but it is ok now. Everything works fine now and I realy enjoy the game.
Let's see what I can do on normal difficulty now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.