Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tero Martimo
Finland
Rauma
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so an inevitable "comparison between games" thread must be made!

I've followed Unfair's campaign from the get go and it seems delicious to say the least. But at the same time I've just played my first game of Imperial Settlers and that game has some solid credits already and it's seems to be evolving quite nicely with their expansions.

Any Imperial Settlers players here among backers? I'd really like to hear some thoughts about these games, and can they co-exist in a board game collection. I don't have the money to throw at every single game that seems interesting, so I'm torn between these two. If you were forced to recommend either of these games, what would it be and why?

Don't stress about my tastes, but give your own credits. Still, for what it's worth, my favorite game of all time is Warhammer 40k Conquest LCG which is considered to be mechanically one of the best card games out there by many high skilled players. Unfortunately the super competetive nature of lcgs and the rapidly expanding card pool took the better of me and I have had to make myself take a break from that game for now :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both Unfair and Imperial Settlers in the past month. I can see where you'd draw the comparison. Players are playing cards that grant them resources to get points and possible hurt the other player's engine.

I don't really get an IS feel when playing Unfair. In Unfair, you can only have so many attractions and those few attractions are getting upgraded to become better and stronger.

There are no mechanisms in IS that hurt the player. During the first few turns of Unfair, you're feeling good about things while the game is still supporting you. Once the game loses the F and goes unfair, it really mixes up the strategies.

While both games are card laying, engine builders, I don't feel like they compete. The themes of each game feel pretty different and the round play order makes Unfair a bit more interesting. I currently own IS and I look forward to adding Unfair to my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both Unfair and Imperial Settlers. What's more, I'll add Saint Petersburg, Core Worlds and Elysium.

Imperial Settlers is a good game, but Unfair seems more accessible, easier to teach. Both games are more rewarding as you learn the different cards, but Unfair has the greater variety. Each round of Unfair is about the same, whereas Imperial Settlers turns get longer and longer. Individual actions take longer to resolve as well. I strongly prefer Unfair, but I can see the appeal of Imperial Settlers.

Core Worlds is wonderful with both expansions. With everything included it is my favourite of all of these. There are many different things to consider, other players turns impact you directly, the theme and art are excellent. Unfortunately, while the base game is still pretty good, I find it drags a little, taking too long and some turns feel repetitive. So although "complete" Core Worlds is my favourite, buying all that is expensive. Core Worlds goes to five players, unlike all the others.

St Petersburg is the lightest and arguably simplest of all, but it is the only one without a fixed number of rounds. Card actions are much, much simpler (card interactions are virtually non-existent) and player interaction is all about the purchase/draft actions. St Petersburg needs no expansions, it is a little gem, but much simpler than all these others.

Elysium is the most complex game mechanically and has a great variety of cards. We find it becomes difficult to track everything with four players (lots of cards and abilities). It also seems to be a deeper game with more complex decisions. Like Unfair, Elysium is ripe for additional expansions. Of all of these games, I find Elysium most difficult to teach. Due to downtime and the need to track so many card abilities, I prefer Elysium with two or maybe three players. Unfair seems to play nicely with any number of players and the turns are brisk.

For what it's worth, my ratings:
Unfair 9 Kickstarted
Imperial Settlers 6 Traded
Saint Petersburg 7 Keeper
Core Worlds 9 Keeper - but my rating for the base game alone is about 6-7
Elysium 8 Probably a keeper, but we have not played for over 6 months!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Campbell
Australia
Monterey
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
Core Worlds goes to five players, unlike all the others.

Just a note that Unfair goes to 5 players too.

I have been an occasional playtester for Unfair and have played Imperial Settlers once. Personally, I had no desire to play Imperial Settlers again, I didn't hate it and would play it again if someone suggested but wouldn't grab it of the shelf myself.

Unfair I will seek out to play, and would even when the kinks were being ironed out. I've backed it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can relate to this.

I did play both. I rated both 8 stars. but i think for me unfair is a little more better than IS.

in 2 player unfair has more player interaction especially in late rounds (and also more with vampire and ninja themes) unlike IS where it is more likely sim building alone, yea i know there is razing thing, but still more on a feel of like sim building alone for me because most of the time you can do nothing about their faction buildings.

In unfair there are moments like these:
- "damn, he gains more money than me, i need to kill/get rid that snack seller/photographer/souvenir seller asap! (need frivolous lawsuit or head hunting)" shake

- "Om my, that groundskeeper/star performer will ruin my plans!" cry

- "hmm... he grab and build that upgrade than this better card, i think he need that in his blueprint, let me destroy that! bwahahaha!" devil

- "i love to play this top event card now, but i think ill save this card later and use the bottom part to devastate my opponent later" - ninja

- "Take that!" the other play says, but the other player answers "not so fast! im prepared for that, thats a No NO! hahaha"

and Too many 'Take That' moments which for me make unfair better than IS

maybe after more plays soon i will change my rating for unfair for 9 stars or even 10 stars, or lower... but as of now as i said Ill rate both 8 stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tero Martimo
Finland
Rauma
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for your input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.