14 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Three Story Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T M
msg tools
Hello.
I have recently thought about creating new story cards. I would like to ask you about your opinion on them.

The first one, "Whistleblower" is a simple three-goal story:

Any thoughts on the potential gameplay or the narrative?

As for the second one I have not yet found a story that centers on the bounty hunting mechanics, so I tried to incorporate it.

The third one is much less serious and centers on an idea of a race (something like the Cannonball Run if someone stil remembers that movie)

So, any ideas on how to refine those?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whistleblower: looks playable, but conceptually the "race" aspect doesn't really hold together - there are multiple instances of the professor? He can be replaced by any old lowlife from Space Bazaar? I think this might work better if he were "vital data", which you'd have to go back to Miranda to replace.

The green skill is Negotiate not Charm, though this would presumably change in the final version anyway..

Why tie it to a specific setup card?

Just a Humble Bounty Hunter: why does it need the map expansions? Seems to me it would play all right without them; just drop in Anson's World instead of CR2 if CR2 isn't available.

I very much like the idea of a bounty total. What about bounty bonuses? Whether or not they count towards the total, I think you should say so explicitly.

Race Across the 'Verse: I'd be inclined to change things a little. Instead of the teleport, say that when you exhaust the pile you may start racing. (Maybe make the pile a token or two bigger.) So if you want to collect a better crew you can risk starting late… then again I'd also allow Piracy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty cool.

On the last one, I'd recommend removing where you remove players. It's not fun for anyone who gets dropped there, and also, what happens if everyone gets dropped there?

How about something like this instead?
Goal 1: When you think you're ready for the race, pick up a Goal token at Persephone. Once you do that, you may take no other actions (other than dealing with other players) until all players are at Persephone. While there though, receive a Goal token every time another player does. When there is only one player not yet at Persephone, complete the round and move that player to Persephone where they receive no token. They do take a goal token if they arrive at Persephone under their own power.

Goal 2: rearrange the turn order according to Goal 1, with whoever has the most going first, and so on. Follow the race course you outlined, stack one goal token at the first stop, two at the second, three at the third, etc. with each player picking up a goal token when they reach it. When everyone reaches the finish line, most tokens wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that a lot better than my suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In keeping with Cannonball Tradition, you should have to Misbehave at each stop. Maybe 1 at the first, 2 at the second, and so on. It needs that something to encourage you to spend more time getting things just right, otherwise, you would just go for it solo.

And yeah, Piracy and Better Offers are a must.

You could even throw in Sabotage. It's a modified Piracy Action. Boarding Action can not use fight to attempt, but can use it to repel. Once aboard, succeed in a Tech test you can flip over any one Upgrade (including the drive core), which cannot be used until it's repaired by spending an Action, parts, and a Tech test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WHISTLEBLOWER - I agree with Roger re: the "scientist" and replacing him with vital data. My immediate thought was to make it a "research crew," but data may work better. You could use 1 Contraband rather than 1 Fugitive to keep the same balance (and remove the Esmeralda's native advantage).

JAHBH - I like this one overall, but the first Goal is a bit more complex than standard existing Goals. In a mechanical sense, there's no official way to track it, which I don't love, but this also gets to a sticky point with a lot of custom work... Font size.

Yeah, I know placing importance on font size seems silly, but the further you get away from the "rules" that the game designers use, the further you risk getting away from the feel of the game. I don't think that's necessarily the case here, but I did want to note that I think there may be value in trying to mirror the look and feel of the "real" stuff as much as possible to maintain proper tone.

On the goal itself, as an alternative, can I recommend that you can pick EITHER Relax to advance the Goal? Relay 7 requires Solid with Universe, while Relay 2 requires a Hacking Rig. You could even individualize the skill rolls. Maybe Relay 7 is a Talk test instead (convincing Universe to give you this dangerous information), for example.

Goal 2 is pretty straightforward (although I think it might be simpler to just say something like "Complete Bounties with a total value of $12000 or more) but I have a few thoughts. First, what happens if you release a Bounty? Can you gain value from that? "Hey, Stitch, I'll let you go if you tell me what you know about Metzger."

12K is of money, especially with more more Goal on the line. If all Bounties in the game are collected (and I mean ALL - every Scrapper, Enforcer, and Bandit), the total is a little over 72,000, which means in a 6-player version of this game, EVERY Bounty will wind up being used. If even one Wanted Crew dies, someone would be mathematically removed from contention.

With that in mind, I would recommend dropping the value to 7K or 9K, either of which will ensure that you're doing at least 3 Bounties (unless you luck out on a Cortex Alert.

Having said that, I may wind up working on my own story card where the END goal is 12K! GREAT idea!

Despite my many comments, I really like this one overall. Nice use of Bounty Hunting, as well as a nice story. It reminds me a little of the old Jango Fett bounty hunter video game.

RACE ACROSS THE 'VERSE - Heh. Funny that you're posting a Cannonball Run-related story card when I just posted a Smokey and the Bandit-style one. It's a good day in the 'Verse for Burt Reynolds!

I like the concept of the card, but as others have alluded to, I think there are some mechanical issues. I can see a number of different directions it could go, and this message is already long enough, so I probably won't include all my thoughts.

First, if this really is a Cannonball Run-style race, shouldn't everyone start with 1 Crew? Doesn't everyone in the movie have a partner?

The core of your game is really built into two different sections: pre-race and the race itself. I'm not going to address pre-race, but on the race... Does it have to proceed in a consistent order? If not, I might go with something like this:

You may take a Work Action on any Supply Planet except Persephone to Misbehave twice. If you succeed, take a Goal Token. You may only take a Goal Token once per Supply Planet. The first player to return to Persephone with 6 Goal Tokens wins.

I suppose this makes it more "Scavenger Hunt" than "Cannonball Run," though...

A few more thoughts:

Should players be allowed to sabotage one another and steal Goals from each other? (Related question: by putting Piracy Jobs "in the discard pile," do you mean they're removed from play, or they're all there ready to be picked up?)

Do you want the authorities to have a stronger presence here? If so, then maybe each time you get a Goal, you get a Warrant. And each attempt, successful or not, places an Alliance Alert token on the planet, so there's definite value in getting in and out first.

I like the original direction you've gone with it. Just a matter of refining a few things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
WHISTLEBLOWER - I agree with Roger re: the "scientist" and replacing him with vital data. My immediate thought was to make it a "research crew," but data may work better. You could use 1 Contraband rather than 1 Fugitive to keep the same balance (and remove the Esmeralda's native advantage).
That still leads to the problem that you can "find" it from somewhere completely unrelated to the mission. It's a thematic rather than a gameplay problem, but I'd still rather have it as a unique token that you have to replace from Miranda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The whole "replacing Fugitives thing" doesn't really bother me that much thematically. Let's say it's a research vessel. We don't know how many researchers there were, right? Or what has happened in the interim. So let's assume for conversation sake that some of the crew found another way out of Reaver Space before the players got there. Maybe some made their way to the Space Bazaar, or maybe one of the now works for Niska...

So, you visit Miranda and load a researcher. Then you're attacked by Reavers and he's killed. But with his dying breath, he tells you that one of the crew who got away kept saying "Research is terrible! If I get out of here, I'm gonna go work for a criminal!" So you go to Niksa, and take on one of his Illegal Transport Jobs -- what d'ya know? It's the guy you were looking for!

On the other hand, placing a "Complete" token (or something) in the Cargo hold to represent the acquired data works too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Cannonball Run adventure, Gwek brought up Warrants which got me thinking there ought to be a higher 'police' presence. So to my idea of stacking piles of Goal tokens at each stop, make the bottom token in each stack a Warrant.

You could also do something with Alliance Alert tokens... At the start of every round, place an alert token in a sector starting at Persephone, creating a trail to the finish line. So those in the lead could get out ahead of them, and some folk might want to take a wider path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I really like the RACE ACROSS THE 'VERSE story card.

Scarbuck wrote:
How about something like this instead?
Goal 1: When you think you're ready for the race, pick up a Goal token at Persephone. Once you do that, you may take no other actions (other than dealing with other players) until all players are at Persephone. While there though, receive a Goal token every time another player does. When there is only one player not yet at Persephone, complete the round and move that player to Persephone where they receive no token. They do take a goal token if they arrive at Persephone under their own power.

Goal 2: rearrange the turn order according to Goal 1, with whoever has the most going first, and so on. Follow the race course you outlined, stack one goal token at the first stop, two at the second, three at the third, etc. with each player picking up a goal token when they reach it. When everyone reaches the finish line, most tokens wins.

I really like this idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some options for the Cannonball Run:

1) Instead of everyone being solid with Badger, each crew is solid with one of the jobbers (other than Harken), who do this every year, backing one team each (with money for crew, etc.) and bet real money on the outcome. You better not lose if you are on Niska's team.
So...
Goal ONE: Do a job for and get solid with someone who doesn't already have a team (be quick or the good ones will be gone).

Your sponsor will give you cash to hire crew, buy upgrades, etc.

2) The first crew to the starting line forces all the others to drop what they are doing and line up too.
For instance: The race starts two full rounds after the first team has reached the agreed-upon starting line and announced they are ready to race. All teams must spend a work action at the starting line before beginning the race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T M
msg tools
Thank you, guys.
Quite a lot of input, I would say. So, let's try to use it.
But first - as for the Awful Crowded In the Sky I simply like this set-up. We hardly even play without it, because it's just more interesting. And it gives more pressure on the players with the alert tokens all around.
As for piracy, I went with "put into discard" and not "remove from game". If a job is in the discard pile it can be easily taken by anyone dealing with the contact. So the piracy option is a little easier this way.
The use of fugitive tokens in Whistleblower was deliberate, because I wanted both the Operative and Reavers to be an issue. But you're right, from a narrative point of view it may be a little too much to swallow.
Releasing the bounties would complicate things a bit in my oppinion. You catch bounties to flush the bad guys out.

But now, ad rem:

--------------

Whistleblower 1.1

Awful Crowded in the Sky Set-Up Card recommended

GOAL 1: Needle in a Haystack
(To work this goal you have to be solid with Fanty and Mingo)
"Who better to find someone missing then peolple who move people for a living? Fanty and Mingo owed you a favor and gave you what you need. The only problem - you have to use the Alliance databases"
Tech 8
1-7: Remove one crew from the game if possible. Warrant Issued
8+: Goal complete. Warrant Issued. Evade.

GOAL 2: To Hell...
(To work this goal you have to be solid with Mr.Universe)
"A slight problem - the last known location of the professor's ship places in going deep into Reaver Space. Fortunately, Mr.Universe may know how to locate the vessel. Now it's just a question of going there and returning alive. The scientist is probably dead, but he may have left some useful information."
Fight 9
1-8: Kill 3 crew. Attempt botched.
9+: Goal complete. Kill 1 crew. Load 1 Haven token. The Haven token is treated as goods and is automaticly discarded during an encounter with Operative's Corvette. You can redo the Fight test to load another token if you have lost the previous one.

GOAL 3: ... and back
(To work this goal you have to be solid with Harken and have a Haven token on board)
"Having escaped Reaver Space with the data copied from the scientist's ship you transport it to the government hearing at Londinium. Luckily Harken can vouch for you."
Charm 10
1-9: Discard the Haven token. Warrant Issued. Evade.
10+: Goal complete.

Victory: The first player to complete three Goals wins the game.

--------------

JUST A HUMBLE BOUNTY HUNTER 1.1

Awful Crowded in the Sky Set-Up Card recommended
You may make a Deal action at the Alliance Cruiser or Operative’s Corvette to add another face-up Bounty Card

GOAL 1: An ear to the ground
(To work this goal you have to be solid with Mr Universe)
"To locate Metzger you will need to keep close tabs on the ‘Verse. Luckily, Mr Universe may help you a bit."

Tech 8
1-7: Attempt Botched. Lose 2 parts
8+: Goal complete. Lose 2 parts

GOAL 2: The hunt is on

"Rounding up the usual suspects should spook Metzger’s men enough to break radio silence."
You have to gather bounties . After the drop-off you keep the Bounty Card.
When the total value printed on the Bounty Cards you have completed (disregarding any bounty boni) is at least 9000 take a Goal Token

GOAL 3: The Showdown
"The plan worked. You intercepted a message between Metzger’s men and were able to pinpoint the location of his hideout. Time to get your man."

Misbehave 3 cards
Fight 14
1-9: Kill all crew. Attempt Botched.
10-13: Kill two crew. Attempt Botched
14+: Goal complete.

Victory: The first player to complete three Goals wins the game.

--------------

RACE ACROSS THE ‘VERSE 1.1

Place one alliance alert token on every planet in Alliance Space. Place one reaver token on every planet in Border and Rim Space. If at the start of any player's turn there is no alert token on a planet place a corresponding alert token on it.
Remove half of Keep Flying cards from all Nav Decks
Place all Piracy job cards in the discard piles.
Do not deal starting jobs. Players cannot deal with Harken.

You may choose a contact you are solid with as your sponsor. After that you draw three Job Cards from that Contact's deck and recieve the total value of money listed on the cards disregarding any boni. You may choose only one sponsor and each Contact can be chosen only once.

After choosing the sponsor a player may go Persephone and announce the start of the race as a Work action. This player becomes the announcing player. Place two Disgruntled tokens alongside the board. At the beginning of the announcing player's turn remove one Disgruntled token. When the last token is removed the following Work actions become available for all players:
Load two Fugitives. If you have no Goal tokens take a Goal token.

Requires 2 Fugitives, at least one Goal token
Misbehave 2 cards to take a goal token.
A Goal token may be taken from every supply planet only once by each player.

Requires 7 Goal tokens, 2 Fugitives
Misbehave 3 cards to win the game

--------------

Does it look better now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In playing "Just a Humble Bounty Hunter" is the intention to be able to accrue bounties towards goal 2 during goal 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T M
msg tools
The idea is to gather bounties after setting the wire-tap, so after completing goal 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.