Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, pretty confused here. Am I just overlooking them in one of the rulebooks? (Base and Recon)

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
Recon rulebook page 10 bottom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! Looked right past them. Thanks much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot imagine to play this game solo, it would loose all it is about. Better pick up some cooperative deckbuilder like Legendary Encounters which are awesome games for solo play IMHO..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fee Weasel
United States
Lake Jackson
Texas
flag msg tools
…so do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
badge
...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way...
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this one multiplayer, but the solo rules seem really weak. I'm hoping for a better variant at some point, otherwise it's multiplayer only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
Does the game rely heavily on hidden information? What makes it not suited for solo play?

I almost never use "solo rules" and I solo tons of games competitively against myself, like the Cryptozoic deck-builders, High Command, Thunderstone, even other kinds of games that rely a little on hidden information like Dungeon Twister, Descent, and Magic Realm...

I either randomize the opponent's choices (like for Dungeon Twister combat), or I just consider that an expert player would know all the possible cards the opponent MAY have, so planning your move as if they DID have them is not a big deal (since obviously I know what the opponent has and can't help but consider it).

Even head-to-head CCG's like Pokemon are fine, though Yu-Gi-Oh! and Magic the Gathering are not very satisfying because they rely so heavily on the guesswork relative to your opponent's hand or face-down cards.

I understand that combat has a similar system to Dungeon Twister in that players will secretly chose a card to play, and their opponents don't know how much combat value that cards has. Is it feasible to just shuffle the remaining cards in that player's hand and choose one at random?

Considering all this, can Arctic Scavengers be played solo competitively without losing what's great about the game? The theme is just so compelling and I don't know of any other game that has this thematic feel!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblackwell wrote:
Does the game rely heavily on hidden information? What makes it not suited for solo play?

I've not read the solo rules, but the multiplayer game has a major bluffing element at the heart of it.

You draft your cards, carry out the actions you want, then put the rest of your hand to fight for the 'contested resource'. The following player can see what you have done, but doesn't know what you have left - it could be a powerful force or it could be just junk cards (literally).

Therefore they have to decide if they want to commit forces and challenge you, or forfeit the contested resource and employ their cards on other actions.

Working this into a solo ruleset would be difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
Tim RTC wrote:
...they have to decide if they want to commit forces and challenge you, or forfeit the contested resource and employ their cards on other actions.

Working this into a solo ruleset would be difficult.

Yes... I see the problem here. Typically I play all players fully, but this may require focusing just on one player and making the other a bot, of sorts.

From what I'm reading about the official solo variant, you create pre-made piles of cards that are used for skirmishes. I'm not sure by what method just yet; have to keep digging around the forums.

I'm really reaching to find a way to play this game. The theme hits a niche right on the head for me. I do have small children, couldn't I just get it now in the hopes that they'll play it with me someday?! hahaha

yargh...

P.S. If anyone's played the official solo game, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. I did find a homebrew solo variant here, for anyone interested in trying it, or for the purposes of this discussion:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1462042/my-solo-variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fee Weasel
United States
Lake Jackson
Texas
flag msg tools
…so do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
badge
...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way...
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a lot of purchases over the years in the hopes that my in house opponents would play when they got older. In most cases it worked out, but not all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.