United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
Now try it on hard mode.

After a relatively easy escape from Nuclear Countdown, we had high hopes for Temple of the Aztec. It is advertised, on the side of the box, as the hardest scenario in the box after all. And, it may have lived up to its billing. We escaped with just 6:41 remaining on the clock.

Like the previous scenarios this escape does a good job at making you use seemingly boring materials in creative ways. We plowed through the first phase in about 9 minutes. Making sure to take our time and double check our work.

Phase 2 did not go as smoothly. We pumped the wrong code into the box, during phase 2, at least four times. Which was frustrating because we knew how to find the answer, we just couldn't agree on the inputs. One of our less optimistic teammates began to lament our impending failure with about 15 minutes left in the game. However, we kept at it and made it to Phase 3 with about 11 minutes on the clock. We again tried to sabotage ourselves by making the puzzle harder than it needed to be. But after debating for a minute we decided to try the "obvious" answer early, just in case it was wrong there would still time to recover on the clock. Our better judgement prevailed, and we escaped with time to spare.

It's easy to be hesitant about buying a game that has a limited number of plays built in, but there is a lot of value inside this box. The four escapes are well designed. And even when everything was going wrong I always felt like I was one "Ah-HA!" moment away from cracking the puzzle. I'm looking forward to the new scenarios this coming winter. In the meantime I think I will reload my escape with the website print outs and have some of my other friends try to escape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Wyseur
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you elaborate on the obvious of phase 3. The puzzle is simple turning no problem but then I don't see it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.