Subject: So this is a competitive campaign game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the way that works. Most campaign board games are structured to be co-op or one vs many. While I enjoy both those game formats I think a campaign based game where every player competes against one another to the very end is neat.

This should satisfy both my more competitive oriented friends and my own desire for a campaign/stories in my board games. Speaking of stories I read the stories in N&F will be better integrated than in A&B? Anyone have anything extra to say on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, the story differences between Above & Below and Near & Far are twofold:

1. All stories will include paragraphs for success and failure. This will help add to the thematic immersion for Near & Far, whereas Above & Below often simply had the outcome listed (e.g. "gain 2 fish and lose 1 reputation" instead of "While one of you distracts the old fisherman with stories of your travels, the other sneaks up to the boat and snatches two fish from his bucket. As you round a bend in the tunnels, you hear the old man's shouts behind you. "Hey, where's my fish?!")

2. Each character will have stories unique to that character which tell that character's tale as you play through the campaign. So, you could play the campaign multiple times with different characters for a new experience; or play with the same character and make some different choices, since you won't have gone through all the stories for that character on a single playthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! But it is a competitive all against all game until the very end of the campaign, yes? That is my assumption/impression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is competitive. Each game has a winner. As far as I know, there isn't a full campaign winner.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Thanks, Brenna!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenna Asplund
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the game is competitive! There's not a lot of direct player interaction, but players are competing to gain the most Journey Points by the end of the game.

To determine the winner of the overall campaign, players will be able to keep track of all their Journey Points from all the games in the campaign. The one with the highest overall score is the campaign winner.

A couple of clarifications on the stories:

martidem wrote:
1. All stories will include paragraphs for success and failure.

All stories will include reaction paragraphs for success, but not for failure.

A few more unique things about the storybook:

--Most stories are specific to spaces on each of the 11 maps! Each map has 16 stories, which is more than can be read in one game.

--Some of the map stories lead to side quests that give you a mini-storyline to follow.

--As Marty McFly mentioned, there's a Character Mode in which you follow your character's unique story instead of the map stories. The game will include 8 characters each with their own plotline.

The storybook overall is the length of a standard novel, so there's a lot of story content to explore!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! Sounds juicy. Ordered .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Siddiqi
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
Henry, unsolicited advice but given your criteria above, you should definitely look into Seafall while you're waiting for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.