Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Signorie» Forums » Rules

Subject: Open cities - marriage/diplo missin through 1st green/yellow helper? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Chudý
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Hi

I have come to disagreement with a friend of mine about how 1st green/yellow helpers should work, when Open cities variant is played and all cities are full.

These are the helpers that allow you to perform marriage (green) or diplomatic mission (yellow), but instead of Alliance tile from the city you placed your meeple you get a face-down alliance tile from the stack.

Question is, whether you get these 1-point alliance tiles, when you perform this action with all cities full (in Open cities variant).

Friends interpretation:
Yes, you do.
Helper actions specifies, that player takes "one Alliance tile from the stack next to the board", instead of Alliance tile (face-up) from the city.

My interpretation:
No, you do not.
Variant modifies basic rules and rules in variant take precedence. The variant says: "The player scores the VP as normal for the Career slot or the paid dowry, but does not take the Alliance tile."
I understand that he does not take any Alliance tile (face-up or face-down). I do not think this rule forbids only taking Alliance tiles from cities - such rule would be purposeless. You are not placing meeple to any city, so it is pretty clear you can not take an Alliance tile from any city.

What do you think?

Have you found interpretation of rules for this case somewhere?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally would agree with you, and house rule it as such.

Otherwise, this helper action becomes considerably more useful than the actual action space!

Of course, we never play with the Open Cities variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:
I personally would agree with you, and house rule it as such.

Otherwise, this helper action becomes considerably more useful than the actual action space!

Of course, we never play with the Open Cities variant.

I disagree... to me it's clear that the Helper action is referring to the Alliance tiles that aren't in the game and you take one from there...

The Variant is referring to the Tiles that are in the city that's full and when you do a marriage in that city you only get the points but not the tile from the city... they are two different things and one doesn't prevent the other

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.