$30.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wendy and Jenny special abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
arkham zombie
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Easy game against Hastur last night. New investigators from SoC are very powerful indeed. Well, Michael went insane quite fast but before that he was also very good indeed.

A few questions arose:
1. Wendy denied quite a lot of madness cards, blight cards etc. In some instances I probably could have denied more nasty stuff but wasn't sure so I went with the old school rule "if not sure, go with what's worse for the investigators".
Can Wendy use her special ability and deny the nasty condition and gain the positive effect that is on some cards? Some mythos cards had for example draw a blight card first, then gain a power card etc. Could Wendy have denied the bad card and gain the good card still? For example one mythos card (if I remember correctly) allowed me to finish a rumor card by accepting a blight card to the lead investigator, I took the card even though I probably could have cancelled the blight card.

2. Jenny was amazing getting stuff. I had more stuff with her than I ever had with Charlie. But one question, does Jenny use the first action turn when using the +2 to and then the second to gain assets or is it just a +2 dice for gaining stuff and is it the same if Jenny gives the +2 for another investigator?

Great game all in all, I for some reason like to play this game solo and Arkham with a bigger group.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
arkhamzombie wrote:
Can Wendy use her special ability and deny the nasty condition and gain the positive effect that is on some cards?
In general: Yes.
Wendy's ability is quite unique. It doesn't matter why she gained the Condition, whether it was her choice, payment, or whatever. Once per turn she just nullifies it.
Some effects feature a text like "You may gain a [Something_Bad] Condition. If you gained the Condition, do something good." This would be one of the rare instances where Wendy's ability cannot cheat her out. If she nullifies the Condition, she won't get the benefit.
But the common effects like "You may gain a [Something_Bad] Condition to do something good" are a fair game. She may replace the Condition with nothing and still gain the benefit.

arkhamzombie wrote:
2. Jenny was amazing getting stuff. I had more stuff with her than I ever had with Charlie. But one question, does Jenny use the first action turn when using the +2 to and then the second to gain assets or is it just a +2 dice for gaining stuff and is it the same if Jenny gives the +2 for another investigator?
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you're asking about.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arkham zombie
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Action: You or another investigator on a City space may perform an Acquire Assets action and gain +2 Influence during that action.

I figured it's just +2 inf during acquire asset but does she have to "activate" it first or is it like instead of the normal acquire asset action she or another investigator can gain the +2? Also can an investigator use this +2 before her turn?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenny's action itself would give you the +2 bonus, but remember you cannot take the same action twice (or use more than one bonus for a given trait during a test). Since her action has taking a "acquire asset action" within it, you would still only be able to acquire assets once per turn with Jenny (I believe) even if you used her action to have another investigator "perform the action."

I know what you're asking, and I'm not sure if I'm clear here, but her action ability is unique in that it can have another investigator perform an action AS HER ACTION. Either way, she is still taking the action on her turn.

Her second ability is quite powerful and can be used conjunction with her first for some serious buying power oomph as it essentially is 2 free SUCCESSES (not dice) during an acquire assets action.

Remember, her action applies a BONUS. This mean is the investigator making the influence test already has a bonus, only the LARGEST bonus is applied. You do not add them together. For this reason, it is actually a bad idea to give Jenny items/allies that give her influence bonuses (such as the personal assistant, but it would still give you a re-roll).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Jenny's +2 is an Action:, so she has to use it during her turn, then someone (or herself) can shop with the bonus - note that it is in fact a bonus ("gain +2 Influence"), so won't stack with other such Inf increases as per usual stacking rules.

Unlike Kane just giving away items, the target must be eligible for an Aquire Assets action (city, no monsters, not done one yet), and it counts as one for them, so they can't do anyother that turn once their own turn comes round.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Jenny's +2 is an Action:, so she has to use it during her turn, then someone (or herself) can shop with the bonus - note that it is in fact a bonus ("gain +2 Influence"), so won't stack with other such Inf increases as per usual stacking rules.

Unlike Kane just giving away items, the target must be eligible for an Aquire Assets action (city, no monsters, not done one yet), and it counts as one for them, so they can't do anyother that turn once their own turn comes round.


Is this true? I assumed the acquire assets action would count as one of Jenny's as she must use her action to do it. Therefore, SHE wouldn't be able to do one for herself in the same turn, and the chosen investigator would be free to take another on their turn.

I might be wrong, but I don't like her ability for this particular reason.

For instance, what happens if she uses it on herself (as she can)? Is she then unable to have a "regular" acquire assets action? If so, if she uses it on a different investigator, can SHE HERSELF also acquire assets in the same turn?

It's pretty confusing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
No, for Jenny it's just a component action; as per its text the target does an Aquire Assets action (that is free and granted by the effect, but otherwise still counts as one).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenny grants the investigator an additional action, the same way Charlie Kane does.
The differences are:
1) Action from Jenny can only be used to Acquire Assets (all the usual restrictions apply).
2) During that Acquire Assets action, the investigator gains +2
bonus (as always, this bonus doesn't stack with other bonuses)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
Jenny grants the investigator an additional action, the same way Charlie Kane does.
The differences are:
1) Action from Jenny can only be used to Acquire Assets (all the usual restrictions apply).
2) During that Acquire Assets action, the investigator gains +2
bonus (as always, this bonus doesn't stack with other bonuses)


I forgot there was a precedent with Charlie. I don't usually use him. That's a good point though as the action taken by the chosen investigator doesn't limit Charlie's other action.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arkham zombie
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well yes but the ability to cancel one debt per turn is great when combined to the +2 inf. Getting Jenny blessed makes her quite the shopper.

Charlie is also great although I've always considered the insta-shipping stuff across the globe a bit cheesy.

Thanks for the answers everyone, cleared both issues for me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Brown
United States
Middleton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
arkhamzombie wrote:

Charlie is also great although I've always considered the insta-shipping stuff across the globe a bit cheesy.


I don't think of it as insta-shipping, but a result of Charlie's global political influence. He's got a guy in where ever that can get his associate in that city a what ever with just a telegram.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.