Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Moran
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS is doing an offer on buying 2 (or even more) boxes of this on release. Why would i want to? Does the game have a limited number of cards in it like Lord of the Rings did?

Thanks in advance.
Count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you buy 2 copies - you have a full playset of all cards in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ffg page says you need 2 copies for a complete set

So, the answer is no, you don't NEED more than one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people have been saying you need 2 core sets to have a full playset of the cards. I'm pretty sure it's not the case. One core set should give you two copies of each card that you can put in your deck, which fulfills the deck-building limit of maximum 2 per deck of any given card.

bigGameGeek wrote:

So, the answer is no, you don't NEED more than one.

Edit: Would you mind linking me to the page? I don't remember reading this and would like to see for myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
count_zero99uk wrote:
My FLGS is doing an offer on buying 2 (or even more) boxes of this on release. Why would i want to? Does the game have a limited number of cards in it like Lord of the Rings did?

Thanks in advance.
Count.

Have you ever seen a game with infinitely many cards?

More seriously - LCG core sets do not contain a full playset of all the player cards within. I haven't been keeping up enough and don't know whether 2 or 3 cores are needed, though. (but the people who ninja'd me appear to know)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also to play with 4 players, you would need 2 core sets. Making the 3-4 investigator decks would require more cards than just a single core set, as the cards are shared between decks.

The Core set is also the only box in this game you will ever need to buy 2 copies of to get a complete playset of cards (2 of each card), every other pack released will have 2 of each card (if 2 are needed)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moran
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
A lot of people have been saying you need 2 core sets to have a full playset of the cards. I'm pretty sure it's not the case. One core set should give you two copies of each card that you can put in your deck, which fulfills the deck-building limit of maximum 2 per deck of any given card.

bigGameGeek wrote:

So, the answer is no, you don't NEED more than one. :)

Edit: Would you mind linking me to the page? I don't remember reading this and would like to see for myself.

I second this :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moran
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
Also to play with 4 players, you would need 2 core sets. Making the 3-4 investigator decks would require more cards than just a single core set, as the cards are shared between decks.

The Core set is also the only box in this game you will ever need to buy 2 copies of to get a complete playset of cards (2 of each card), every other pack released will have 2 of each card (if 2 are needed)

FFG page says 2 sets allow 3 players,

You and your friend (or up to three friends with two Core Sets)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror...

I think ill be ok with one set to start with.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he's referring to this from their Twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FFGames/status/760509079571800064
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
count_zero99uk wrote:

FFG page says 2 sets allow 3 players,

You and your friend (or up to three friends with two Core Sets)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror...

I think ill be ok with one set to start with.

Cheers.

Just to clarify, that's a 2nd set to allow 3 other players for a total of 4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moran
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DOH!!!!!

Thanks for the math lesson Jon :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, just to be clear, you only NEED a second core box if you want to play more than 2 players, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:

Actually, no. According to the card count from other postings, it looks like there will be only ONE copy of most of the specific class player cards in a single core set, though there are multiple copies of the neutral cards.

So if you want two copies of each player card, you need to buy TWO core sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
So, just to be clear, you only NEED a second core box if you want to play more than 2 players, correct?

Also if you want to have access to a full playset of cards for deck building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, I'm confused...

So, are they actually selling a game without enough to play, and making you buy another box, to have all of what you need in the first case?

That would be pretty sucky. Turns a $45 game into $90 to start.

I'm only solo playing, do I still need 2 boxes? If so, I'm definitely out... it's not a $90+ solo starter game to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, ha ha.
All this talk of needing 2 boxes to have a complete set, makes you wonder.

(if villains, then super-power must be mind control, because I already own way too many of their flip'n games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
This always comes up with these LCG core sets.

You only need 1 box to play. The second box gives you enough components to play with up to 4 people. A single box only has enough components to play with up to 2 people. You can play solo just fine with one box.

The talk of buying several boxes for a complete playset is just speculation that there most likely won't be 2x of every card in the game including in one box. When building decks in this game you can have at most two copies of a card in your deck. To keep the number of unique cards up (to make the card pool as big and as interesting as possible) and the cost of the core set down FFG has included singles of cards in previous LCG core sets. Therefore if you really dig the game and want to max out your copies of each card you may want to pick up a second core set. Though I don't believe this has been confirmed yet (only an unofficial card count) so the only certain reason to pick up a second core set it to have enough components to play with 3 or 4 investigators. Also this only comes up in the core sets for LCGs. In every expansion pack or deluxe box historically for FFG's LCGs they've given you a complete playset of those card. Therefore if the rumor is correct then at worst you'd need to purchase one redundant product (which gives you the added benefit of allowing your collection to support 3 and 4 investigators).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
This always comes up with these LCG core sets.

You only need 1 box to play. The second box gives you enough components to play with up to 4 people. A single box only has enough components to play with up to 2 people. You can play solo just fine with one box.

The talk of buying several boxes for a complete playset is just speculation that there most likely won't be 2x of every card in the game including in one box. When building decks in this game you can have at most two copies of a card in your deck. To keep the number of unique cards up (to make the card pool as big as interesting as possible) and the cost of the core set down FFG has included singles of cards in previous LCG core sets. Therefore if you really dig the game and want to max out your copies of each card you may want to pick up a second core set. Though I don't believe this has been confirmed yet (only an unofficial card count) so the only certain reason to pick up a second core set it to have enough components to play with 3 or 4 investigators. Also this only comes up in the core sets for LCGs. In every expansion pack or deluxe box historically for FFG's LCGs they've given you a complete playset of those card. Therefore if the rumor is correct then at worst you'd need to purchase one redundant product (which gives you the added benefit of allowing your collection to support 3 and 4 investigators).

As above:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FFGames/status/760509079571800064
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had assumed that response was talking about the extra components for 3 and 4 players though as I read it again Dexter is asking specifically about a full playset of cards so that is a confirmation.

But again I need to stress that if you are playing solo you should be fine with one core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Much appreciated.
So basically, not ideal, but definitely doable, and not so noticeable without 2 as you buy more in the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
To clarify, here's a for instance:

If you're playing solo, you can build a deck for Roland with just one copy of "Roland's .38 Special" and do just fine. If you want to custom-build your deck with two copies of "Roland's .38 Special," they you will need two core sets. Two copies of this card are not required, but you can have two copies in your deck if you want, and this is only possible with a second core set.

My suggestion would be to buy just one core set, which is what I plan to do at first. Your own developing playstyle will tell you if you need the extra cards.

Hope this is helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M N
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your example is correct other than you cannot have multiples of Roland's 38 special. But any other cards yes. You can have max two per deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurelian
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So it's all perfectly clear then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sthill46 wrote:
So it's all perfectly clear then

Clear as mud!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just buy 2. It is what Fantasy Flight would have wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.