$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Leaving Earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Why does the second mission planning example use 2 Atlas? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
Avatar
mb
Why does the second worked out mission planning example ("Lunar Direct") use a Saturn and 2 Atlas rockets for launch? Wouldn't one Soyuz and one Saturn be cheaper?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's certainly what falls out of my burn optimiser: $23 rather than $24 to sub-orbital flight.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think these were meant as perfectly efficient examples. Even if they were, testing Soyuz can, depending on outcome cards, be much more expensive compared to testing Atlas, so in order to save that 1M$, you likely will have spent much more on testing before.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
True, though there's a Soyuz later in the mission anyway.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, okay. I cannot look into the rules from where I am now, so I did not have that piece of information.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
Avatar
mb
Also, can't you get by with 4 Junos rather than an Atlas for lunar ascent in the Rendezvous example?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
Also, can't you get by with 4 Junos rather than an Atlas for lunar ascent in the Rendezvous example?
Yes. Same rocket mass, though, so it doesn't propagate changes back down through the mission; it just saves you $1.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
Avatar
mb
Firedrake wrote:
Aldaron wrote:
Also, can't you get by with 4 Junos rather than an Atlas for lunar ascent in the Rendezvous example?
Yes. Same rocket mass, though, so it doesn't propagate changes back down through the mission; it just saves you $1.

Right. Though (not having the cards in front of me), isn't it never the case that a cheaper combo at a later stage causes weight gains that result in hight total cost?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
Right. Though (not having the cards in front of me), isn't it never the case that a cheaper combo at a later stage causes weight gains that result in hight total cost?
There are some cases where a cheaper combo is heavier. For example, putting payload 5 through difficulty 4 can be done with:

Atlas x 2 m13 $10
Soyuz x 1 m14 $8

The Soyuz is cheaper, but will weigh more for the previous stage to push.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
Avatar
mb
Firedrake wrote:
Aldaron wrote:
Right. Though (not having the cards in front of me), isn't it never the case that a cheaper combo at a later stage causes weight gains that result in hight total cost?
There are some cases where a cheaper combo is heavier. For example, putting payload 5 through difficulty 4 can be done with:

Atlas x 2 m13 $10
Soyuz x 1 m14 $8

The Soyuz is cheaper, but will weigh more for the previous stage to push

Yes, heavier, but the question is: does the additional weight ever propagate though earlier stages in a way that makes the total cost greater (at least for common missions)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.