GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,924 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Ranking quarries by power level and gain... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Buller
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Oldschool
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking that it would be nice to have an overview over what power level the different quarries are at, when to fight them and how their resources rank compared to their respective power.

For instance:

Phoenix
power level: medium high
Fight at: Lantern Year 10
Resources: Good at mid tier.
Notes: Dont fight with zero hunt xp survivors, due to chance of death during hunt.

It would be nice to know how the expansions rank in general, and maby I will make this first post into an overview ranking all quarries according to their general placement in peoples lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm curious about the fact that you ranked the Manhunter as easier to face than the Lion Knight. From all that I have read, the Manhunter seems like a really tough fight. I have fought the Lion Knight once and while we lost to him I didn't feel like he was anything overly difficult to beat, just standard tactics and try to keep the villain safe.

Slenderman was waaaay harder than I expected. I have no idea how to take him on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Styfen"][q="valle1"] It is fair however to say that the Dragon King campaign is better than the Sunstalker one.q]

I would disagree. I quite like People of the Sun. I've read up on Stars and while it seems fun and I will definitely buy it when I can; I don't enjoy the premise or survivor bingo. So to say that one campaign is better than the other is subjective. They're both great and radically different from each other and the core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm less far along in sunstalker than dragon king, but have found the dragon king to be a much better campaign-- the integration of all the components is so much more interesting to me than mostly just a radically different timeline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I love both. Interesting variations are always welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
I'm less far along in sunstalker than dragon king, but have found the dragon king to be a much better campaign-- the integration of all the components is so much more interesting to me than mostly just a radically different timeline.

Here I think you're discounting PoSun. I think there is great thematic representation in the campaign just as much as DK.

I wouldn't call People of the Sun just a different timeline. What I see is a campaign that is doing several things:

1. Allowing you to optimize and min/max in a way Stars and Lantern do not offer.

2. Encouraging different builds through the explicit "no heavy gear" clause in The Sun location. That pushed us into actually trying for Phoenix gear for instance and to actually make Antelope items from the Stone Circle.

3. Encourages heavy strategizing. I think that PoSun really makes you calculate things out to the end. You should use every year optimally leading up to years 21-25. One slip up on a nemesis and its game over. Versus Stars where I don't have to do any real strategizing different from what I did in the core; I can feel free to throw people under the bus if its a nemesis I feel I can't take.

4. People of the Sun feels like its a cult worshipping the Sunstalker. It was very successful in evoking that feeling from me. Even in how the survivors try to make some of their young like The Sun itself (Umbilical Symbiosis event which makes Warriors of the Sun).

Overall I feel PoSun has a much stronger theme it evokes and does a better job of reinforcing that. It forces me to strategize way long term and be very calculating in terms of what I hunt and what I make. Whereas in Lantern and Stars I could have an off year or two of hunting. In Sun I feel it everytime there is a wipe or we didn't get what we needed. More pressure so to speak.

To be honest I think the reason so many people are enamored with Stars is the custom nemesis encounter and the Dragon King model itself. While those are both certainly nice items I see them as window dressing/icing. Why? The nemesis encounter is campaign specific only. Meaning the Tyrant won't see much time on the board especially as more KD stuff comes out and PoStars gets left in the dust. Secondly, while a dragon is cool, it doesn't fit the overall tone and theme of KD:M. Its the first monster I've seen that doesn't have some creepy reflection of humans in it. Its the closest KD has gotten to toeing the line into "generic fantasy." Don't get me wrong the model is beautiful but I just think it breaks the theme and tone of the overall universe.

At the end of the day what I'm getting in Stars is simply a custom nemesis, some beefy survivors, and basically the same timeline as in the core. I'm sure the campaign itself is great but to say that Stars is so above, beyond, and ahead of Sun is woefully inaccurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to agree to disagree. Everything I've read about Stars has not tempted me very much. I want it because the big box/major campaign expansions are my favorites but if I hold Stars up to Sun.....I would choose Sun every time. They're both great. I just have my preference like everyone else. *shrug*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Epidemius wrote:
I'll have to agree to disagree. Everything I've read about Stars has not tempted me very much. I want it because the big box/major campaign expansions are my favorites but if I hold Stars up to Sun.....I would choose Sun every time. They're both great. I just have my preference like everyone else. *shrug*

Following along with the theme, I find myself enjoying the quite traditional eastern feeling of PotSun. It's classic Japanese melodrama, and meant to be that way.

However, when I read the PotStars, I find myself intrinsically more sympathetic for the Dragon King. Moreover, the theme of the Dragon King flows together: if you do PotStars and fail, but then encounter the Dragon King in a hunt, his opening text reflects the failure of the Stars campaign.

It fits together neatly, whereas the Sunstalker just sorta is "there" in a core hunt, and is "there" as the boss monster at the end of PotSun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IASeldon wrote:
the Sunstalker just sorta is "there" in a core hunt, and is "there" as the boss monster at the end of PotSun.

I'm sorry but this isn't correct. When hunting the Sunstalker there is a pretty great allusion to People of the Sun in there. There is an event where if you search the skeleton of a human you can find a [campaign specific Sun item] only crafted from the Sacred Pool location. This hints at the failed/eaten Sunstalker settlement.

Second, the Sunstalker isn't "there" as a final boss monster. Its waking up to kill its worshippers is kind of like a poetic tragedy in many ways. It reflects a few things IMO:

1. Familiarity breeds contempt. I think that is a main take away by the end of all this.

2. The Sunstalker being the literal sun in the KD universe and eventually killing the survivors is a nice analogy for the fate of our real world solar system. Think about it, in a couple billion years our sun will undergo a helium flash and enter the red giant phase. Thus boiling away/scorching our planet. I really look at the Sunstalker's attack as its "red giant phase."

What I'm saying is things are much better integrated than everyone is arguing. Look at the hunt event cards in the SS' deck and think about how the campaign ends. Its got a lot of flavor in it and as an astronomy geek I think a cute little analogy Poots shoehorned into there for the eventual fate of our Earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing both (on two separate nights of the week) I honestly felt that the People of the Sun were more unique as a people than the People of the Stars.

The biggest thing for me was the way that the People of the Sun have a vastly altered innovation deck- especially keeping them from every getting Inner Lantern.

IL is your bread and butter in every other campaign, and replacing it with a Sunstalker specific one really changes the meta.

PoS also allows (forces) you to use Survival of the Fittest- a settlement principle which otherwise never gets used in the long term.

As far as the theme goes, I felt that the Sun People had a very different culture than my Lantern Hoard or Star people (the focus on partnership as a sort of holy calling, for example).

Thematically, I love how they're different- the Dragon King is trying to build up his legacy in your camp, while the Sunstalker is more of a force of nature- it doesn't really care about the people who have built up a religion around its every random bodily function.

Anyway, it's all pretty moot- they're each great campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Hands of the Sun granting devastating 1 to attacks is a serious deviation. My friend and I now playing Bloom People often lament we can no longer make any attack devastating 1. Though those replica flower swords are excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.