Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Newell
Australia
Mayfield
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a gripe about Wizkids that needs voicing. I have been keeping myself abreast of their upcoming products, especially their D&D miniatures line. I have commented on their facebook page numerous times complimenting them about their designs, but every time I ask about news for attack wing, my comment is deleted. It has gotten to the point now that even if I mention the words "Attack Wing" in a D&D context, not even asking a question about it, the comment is deleted. It is insulting to be treated with such dismissiveness. If they don't want to answer the questions, fine. Leave them unanswered. If they said "we cannot comment", fine, do so. But to go to the effort of deleting any reference to attack wing just seems spiteful. My last comment I simply complemented them on the designs for the upcoming Storm Giant's Thunder set for D&D and mentioned how much I enjoyed running giant lists in attack wing, and they deleted it. Why? I was paying a compliment and expressing my enjoyment of your product. To be so dismissed, especially after trying so hard to foster the game in my area, despite the strong X-Wing community, feels very hurtful. I am thoroughly disappointed in Wizkids. That is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall when D&D Attack Wing was first announced, somebody posted on BGG how he wouldn't be buying it because it was by Wizkids and they treated their customers badly. I thought at the time he was just being rude, but now I understand what he meant. I subscribed to their mailing list as a retailer, but when I complained because they were giving me incorrect release dates they cut me off the list without a reply. They still allow us retailers to believe that new stock is coming for this game. I don't like complaining about companies this way, and I really wish them well, but they should have more respect for where their money comes from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizkids has unfortunately been this way for some time in my experience. They focus only on the profit so much that it hurts their own reputation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think everyone understands that some products aren't as successful as other, and consequently get dropped. I can't help but think that many other (smaller) game companies would have done an announcement to the effect "it's ending, no more OP, the next wave that's already in production will be the last, thanks for playing, hope you enjoyed." Wizkids seem to just be in denial that the game ever existed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Newell
Australia
Mayfield
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I note they also delete any post that is critical of their designs or products. On their recent hero clix for ninja turtles they released models for the original cartoon versions of the turtles that looked awful and people said as much. Within a few hours of posting, all comments criticising the models or being negative were deleted. Rather than dealing with criticisms constructively they act like it doesn't happen. Living in denial just a tad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone at WK must feel that negative comments has a chance to hurt sales, and perhaps it does.

But earning a reputation for treating your customers badly hurts sales, probably more so. Word will get around, eventually.

I think I've already bought my last Wizkids product now unless I see some positive change coming from them. I enjoy several of their games...Dice Masters, and of course D&DAW...but I don't want to support their efforts any more based on how they are acting. I do understand that some products just don't succeed in the market. What I don't accept is how WK seems to feel they can just stop supporting a game without letting their customers know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also don't like how they silently drop support for products. I would be happy if they just announced that they didn't have an announcement. A simple recognition that they're restructuring their plans with the game and trying to figure out viable a way to keep it alive would be nice.

I imagine that they're in a position where they have no intention of continuing the game, but they're sitting on a huge pile of inventory in their warehouse. If they announce the game is dead, all of that inventory plummets in value (more than it already has based on their silence).

I'm guessing the moment the last box is sold and ships out to distributors they'll tell us it's dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They may be more concerned about how their products appear to their licensors; most of their products depend on good will from other companies. Saying nothing minimizes the backlash and thus the number of negative comments they need to delete. As much as we liked the game, stores (and players) had pretty much given up on it before they stopped making new content.

What we really need to do is make sure that the rules forum contents are preserved. There were a lot of issues covered there. The FAQ stopped part way through, although I think there was someone organizing the responses independently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice that the comments on this page mostly come from people who have positively comments on D&DAW in the past (myself included). Here are good people whose comments and articles here have done some good for the game. For me it's almost like I've made new friends - and we are the people complaining now! Surely Wizkids have to realise what they are doing for their games/reputation - and it isn't at all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Newell
Australia
Mayfield
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. Where I am we had the biggest Attack Wing community in the southern hemisphere. We were hard core supporters with a well developed meta and very skilled players, but it all disappeared when the support dried up. We tried numerous times to rejuvinate the game and attract players but it is hard to keep going when the company that makes it delays releases, doesn't send products (we never even got the saddle of the cavalier pack) and stops supporting the game. Since Feb we have waited patiently for a word, anything, but it's hard to keep spirits up in the face of determined silence. This subtle suggestion of contempt from Wizkids doesn't help, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
I notice that the comments on this page mostly come from people who have positively comments on D&DAW in the past (myself included). Here are good people whose comments and articles here have done some good for the game. For me it's almost like I've made new friends - and we are the people complaining now! Surely Wizkids have to realise what they are doing for their games/reputation - and it isn't at all good.

I don't think they care. I think of it as the GW Syndrome. Who cares if you lose a few disgruntled customers so long as you can replace them with new, younger customers that don't know/care that you've jilted people before?

Eventually, at least as far as speculation goes, even GW realized that this isn't a sustainable business model, as eventually your negative reputation becomes so large that you stop taking in more than you lose/drive away. I think WK might be close to reaching this point. Then again, Clix and Dice Masters still seems to sell very well, although I see more of it sitting on the shelves than before, so that's debatable.

D&DAW was in my mind the best implementation of the Attack Wing mechanics, and the first OP events and campaign adventures were some of the best gaming experiences I've had. I'm sad thinking that my son and I won't get to go to another OP or Regional event for this game.....but we've moved on, and have other games to share now. And I'm suitably warned off WK products in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Sutton
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Bobb and the rest. DDAW was my first step into the Flightpath system (I've been introduced to the Star War and Trek ones, and I think DDAW is the best implementation). The OP events were fun and I got to meet a lot of people and had fun times that hearkened back to the hey-days of Decipher for me. After all, how many times do you have such exciting moments as when a wizard is flying around trying to disintegrate your dragon?

It is unfortunate that it seems like DDAW is dead, as I really think it has a lot of potential. (I was really hoping for new eye beams for my beholder!)

I'm hoping that the community will do like the Star Trek community did: post the templates and what not so that one can make one's own cards, because again, it seems a shame that a game with so much potential just fades away....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wispur Kultus
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've moved on to Kings of War.

It's not flightpath, but it IS tactical.
And since they let you use any miniatures to play (not just their miniatures), it can be very cheap too if you search around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Newell
Australia
Mayfield
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wispur wrote:
I've moved on to Kings of War.

It's not flightpath, but it IS tactical.
And since they let you use any miniatures to play (not just their miniatures), it can be very cheap too if you search around.

I did the same, but not quite as a refuge from attack wing, more as an excuse to make use of all my warhammer models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also play Kings of War. It's refreshing to buy from a company that pays attention to its customers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aro Bow
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm a fan of modern board games and I've been buying up all kinds of them. I had never heard of "WizKids" before (I don't really pay attention to who makes my games) this but it seems like the behaviour you described is being confirmed by the community. Believing that, I couldn't possibly support a company that behaves this way. I'll have to be careful not to purchase any WizKids products in the future.

Checking information the publisher WizKids here on BGG, I notice that I already own a game published by them:

Mage Knight (+ Lost Legion Expansion)

I'll have to be extra careful not to keep buying any of their games in the future ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.