Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week I saw a board game on Kickstarter that was labeled Roguelike. If you are fan of Roguelike PC games such as myself then you might have been bummed out. 1-4 players and no permadeath and there were elements of PVP. I was bummed but I remembered that I can make a true Roguelike board game, or at least as close as possible.

So here is how the game works. Each level there are 14, 4X4 tiles. To emulate the randomness of a Roguelike game 4 tiles are randomly discarded.

There is a start tile with stares coming from above and then in the remaining 10 tiles there is a stairs down shuffled in.

As of right now tiles contain one of 4 icons, basic loot, treasure, monster, and trap. To keep it random and Roguelike each of these icons are in bags that you pull from so they could be truly different and are by level. Right now there are 5 levels.

If you make it to level 2 you pick up the stairs tiles and then pick up the level 1 tiles, shuffle them and discard 5 and 5 will be added to level 2, level 2 has 14 tiles as well but you will discard 4 of those tiles. so level 2 has 15 tiles.

Battle is as follows.
once you are within 3 spaces of a monsters line of sight they will engage you. you can attack or be attacked diagonally. Each character moves at 1 space each. The first one to be able to attack gets to attack first.

battling is based on dice and there are different types of dice to match with each weapon or monster. The result of the die adjusts the result of the damage
For example using a dagger with a 2 damage may look like this
1, -1
2, 0
3, 0
4, +1
5, +1
6, +2

While a heavy axe with 3 damage may look like this

1, Miss
2, Miss
3, -1
4, 0
5, +1
6, +2

Since this a solo game my plan is for the game to win...
10% on floor 1
20% on floor 2
35% on floor 3
45% on floor 4
60% on floor 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the Dead and roguelike games as well. I think one of the biggest challenges in a design like this is coming up with a way to incorporate meaningful decisions and multiple paths to victory, knowing that some of the inherent randomness is a trait of the genre. Anyways, good luck to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R4D6 wrote:
Love the Dead and roguelike games as well. I think one of the biggest challenges in a design like this is coming up with a way to incorporate meaningful decisions and multiple paths to victory, knowing that some of the inherent randomness is a trait of the genre. Anyways, good luck to you!

Making meaningful decisions will be one of the hardest parts of making this game. The idea to help make decision points is to have a shop at the start of each floor starting at 2 where potions, arrows, and then a random sort of items will be available to buy and you can sell your items as well.

I haven't decided if I want to have a leveling system based on exp or on beating a level. Also I don't know if I want to include attack speed either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slightly off topic, but I never played Rogue nor knew what "roguelike" meant until I had been on this site for a while. For me the game that did it was Telengard.

Good luck with the idea...there seems to be a dearth of dungeon crawlers mashing up random maps, variable critters and loot & leveling sans a GM/overlord. You have the extremes of Dungeon!, Descent and Warhammer Quest, all of which are too little or too much of something. I too am working on a mashup of ideas I like from other titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:
Slightly off topic, but I never played Rogue nor knew what "roguelike" meant until I had been on this site for a while. For me the game that did it was Telengard.

Good luck with the idea...there seems to be a dearth of dungeon crawlers mashing up random maps, variable critters and loot & leveling sans a GM/overlord. You have the extremes of Dungeon!, Descent and Warhammer Quest, all of which are too little or too much of something. I too am working on a mashup of ideas I like from other titles.

I just made my first prototype and making a random map is going to be kind of hard but I think I have a solution that I am going to try tonight. As a fan of the genre I refuse to have a Carcassonne type of tile laying. It just looks boring and doesn't give me that feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You've seen this: [WIP] Mini Rogue - 2016 9-card Nanogame PnP Design Contest, right? Might give you some ideas...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
govmiller wrote:
You've seen this: [WIP] Mini Rogue - 2016 9-card Nanogame PnP Design Contest, right? Might give you some ideas...

Nice! that looks pretty rad, Im going to play it when I get home. I love roguelikes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few updates on game play, moved up to a 5x5 grid so there is more ability for the dungeon to sprawl. Also the complete set up of the dungeon is done before each level, although you don't see the map as the connection points are on the backside of the tile. The connections are set up both as doors and forced connections so some tiles are shaded blue, when you are building the dungeon you have to connect those together which will create a larger room, This way you don't get to build an easier dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
msg tools
That looks so cool!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.