Lincoln Damerst
United States
California
flag msg tools
GameNight!
badge
GameNight!
mbmbmbmbmb

Tonight on GameNight! Nikki, Mike, Dave and Lincoln play Arboretum by Dan Cassar and published by Z-Man Games.

Thanks for watching and please subscribe to us on YouTube - with more subscribers we get more freedom in how we run the channel.

http://youtube.com/boardgamegeektv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Squared
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I am the one thing in life I can control. I am inimitable, I am an original.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome! I rarely watch these, but it's cool to see an older, underappreciated game show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play this game at least 3-4 times a month at work. Love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Davis
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite games ever. I'm still looking for a copy to trade for, since the price of buying it has jumped to over $40, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximiliano Sanchez de Bustamante
Argentina
Olivos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the episode guys; excellent as usual.
Keep playing... meeple

ljtrigirl wrote:
That's awesome! I rarely watch these, but it's cool to see an older, underappreciated game show up.

I would not say old, it is from 2015 (last year).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate U
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmm. I've seen it recently in a few shops in Toronto for about $16 (Canadian). You might be able to order it online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Squared
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I am the one thing in life I can control. I am inimitable, I am an original.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
flashshadow69 wrote:
Thanks for the episode guys; excellent as usual.
Keep playing... meeple

ljtrigirl wrote:

I would not say old, it is from 2015 (last year).

It feels older than that. At the very least, it's not a new release, which is what I usually see on these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc Noël
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great video, guys! I put this game back down before after reading the scoring rules, but this really helped me grasp them. Might be worth a second try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norfolk wrote:
Great video, guys! I put this game back down before after reading the scoring rules, but this really helped me grasp them. Might be worth a second try!

I've tweaked the way I teach this game to try to get new players to fully understand how the scoring works during game 1, but it always seems to take a full game or two before everything really sinks in (particularly the 1/8 in the hand thing). It's worth the time investment for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Durden
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
you need 4 or more cards of the same type in an adjacent row to score the additional 1 point per card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Durden
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
continued to watch the video and you guys totally mentioned what i just commented on. CAAR!.... GAME ON!! Game OoOonNn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Valladolid
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Another appearance by Mike N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Francis
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally acquired this game via a BGG auction and have been playing it with my girlfriend, who's new to gaming. It's a fantastic couples game. Glad to see it here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, just an excellent game. And so vicious because you can stop others from scoring!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Lesus
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great video and great game, thanks!

Just wanted to point out that a few months ago, designer Dan Cassar revealed a small change to the rules. In order to balance out the first player advantage, all discard piles are empty at the start of play.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1588582/small-rules-change
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
ljtrigirl wrote:

It was released March 2015, 18 months ago - that's what counts as "older" these days?! Cult of the New shake
And I think it was OOP/between-printings for at least 7-8 months of those 18, after selling out pretty fast, it finally just became available again...
I won't even touch the "underappreciated" comment devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great video! Lovely game and I'm glad it is back in print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent game, there's a LOT more than you can do in it than Mike makes it seems. If you start a path with low numbers of the same tree type, you are asking for trouble. It is often better to make a path of multiple different trees counting up or down and fill it out later as you draw more cards. This game allows for a lot of flexibility and creativity in play.

I have play a LOT of 4 player games and have finished 1st in most and 2nd place in the rest. I have yet to be "screwed" by the card draw. It is a tense game, but it is also very satisfying. I absolutely LOVE it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Durkin
United States
Corte Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay - yikes! That was a valiant effort with a brain-burner game. My favorite part is listening to the discussion at the end, and I wonder how you would all do with a subsequent play. It seemed there might be a couple rule misunderstandings: with fewer players, cards are returned to the box; a player scores only one path matching a tree color.

That was also a challenging rules explanation to learn the game from. I recommend using a pre-determined arboretum to highlight how paths score (not a random one). I'm a visual learner - and I know the rules - but Dave's explanation was hard to follow.

Arboretum is a tight game where I feel like I am managing constraints. It's a hard one to appreciate after one play, which to me is appealing. It encourages reflection on game play. I did, though, originally buy it to play with my mom (who loves trees) and realized "Oh no! This will not work for her".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
It is 13Euro in amazon.de , i had the game, and sold it after 3 games. It is waaaay too much luck for me. Zee said everything about it, just as it is. I think in a video - top 10 games that we will never play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great Video as always. Love seeing more of Mike. Thank you for showing me that this one I can take off my wish list. It didn't look fun at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
It is 13Euro in amazon.de , i had the game, and sold it after 3 games. It is waaaay too much luck for me. Zee said everything about it, just as it is. I think in a video - top 10 games that we will never play again.

I really disagree and there is less luck in this game than probably 80% of Zee's collection. He's dead wrong on this one, almost comically so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Durkin
United States
Corte Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:

Whoa! Arboretum is NOT mentioned in the Dice Tower's "Game's We Won't Play Again!" Check your sources. Zee Garcia did do a review of it, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
OK it is in Top 10 Games That Need One Change , w/e he still trashed it, and he is right for everything. It is a game in which you have to think a lot, and then lose because of luck ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I've never played this game. But I did just pick up a copy of Zany Penguins. It has the the same kind of relationship between cards played, and cards still in hand at the end of the game, except that it's reversed. Your cards played to the table determine whether/how you score the cards remaining in your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.