Popular Tags: [View All]
David Rice
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Everyone,
I'm finding myself more and more drawn into the Marvel universe lately, and really like the movies and the stories, but have heard that the movies play fairly loose with accuracy.

So...I'm looking for some help with complete origin stories....specifically if there is a series or trade paperback that gathers all of the characters'origins in one collection? Or rather, is there one (probably fairly large) book I should be looking for?

Be gentle, as I'm pretty new to comics and know little about what the foundational reading should be....looking to get there though!

Thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Posa
United States
Lebanon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'Origins of Marvel Comics' and 'Son of Origins' are classics, but out of print. They are not rare, though, so you should be able to find them easily enough. They were published in the 70s. Also, check out 'Bring On The Bad Guys' and 'Superhero Women' - more origin stories for villains and female characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly (Gastonia / Charlotte)
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DylanP wrote:
'Origins of Marvel Comics' and 'Son of Origins' are classics, but out of print. They are not rare, though, so you should be able to find them easily enough. They were published in the 70s.
Oh man, do those titles bring back memories! I can still remember seeing the ads for them in the comics I was reading in the mid to late 70s! I never did purchase them though. But that would be a good place to start.

That said, both DC and Marvel (and maybe even other publishers, I have no idea) have had a frequent habit over the years of tweaking back-stories in their comics. I believe the term is "ret-conning." So even if you start with Origins, say, if you continue looking, you will find more and more origins and history and powers stories of various heroes, each one slightly different from the previous. If you let it bug you, it can be discouraging.

And, just like the Lord of the Rings movies, (and others), the movies will always be at odds with the books in some way. Which will please some, and work others up into a seething mass of fan-rage. So try to enjoy, but do not be surprised if you wander into areas of conversation and opinion that become, well, spirited.

Now, you did mention "every character." That is a little more difficult. But if you search for something called Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (several editions) or Marvel Universe Encyclopedia (also several editions), you can learn a great deal about a LOT of Marvel stuff. Both are easily found on eBay, for instance, as is Origins and Sons of Origins. You might be able to get whole sets of the Handbook cheaper than Origins.

And since there are several editions, you may need to decide which ones you want. I bought the first and 2nd sets of the Handbook a while back, as that most closely linked to what I remember reading as a teen. The newer versions had characters and events that I would not have read about back then, and was not as interested in. A little bit of web research should help you with that.

Enjoy! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.