Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious to see how many Babymetal fans are here on BGG.

I love them and they are my default soundtrack when I play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
Dibs?

Also, I'm sure you will see a few responses here, complete with video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Demondude ought to be here any time now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

Demondude isn't down with the BM. Maybe when they all turn 18?

To OP: Yes, and Yuimetal is the best metal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
I'm reminded of my first CBGB concert in the early '90s. I went randomly, not recognizing any of the bands, and my probably unfair high expectations for craziness were blown away by two of the bands.

1. The first band I can't remember the name of beyond MAYBE having some sort of snake reference. They were big hairy guys dressed in women's lingerie. The bassist was on stilts. At one point a woman came out of the audience and chased the bassist around the stage with a drumstick trying to stick it up his butt. The bassist seemed genuinely pissed off about this and they stopped their set while he took off his stilts presumably so that he could escape easier.

2. The Chimpanzees. Half the members were white and half were Japanese. They were all dressed in spandex chimpanzee outfits. Note that these outfits were a far cry different than a gorilla suit. These were hairless, had big cartoony ears and were the opposite of menacing.

The lead singer, a famous TV comedienne back in Japan, was tiny and screechy, singing English lyrics in an ironically thick accent such as "Don't by shy...go see much opera!!!!"

Googling has brought up VERY little info on them beyond the names of two members: "Diarreah" Naoko Nozawa was the TV star lead singer and Dave "Squeaky" Wilentz was on guitar.

Were the Chimpanzees proto-Baby Metal???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
MABBY wrote:

Yep, he prefers Band-Maid as do I. Babymetal feels like a put together boy band but with Asian females backed by metal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave them a shot. When they're loud, they're great, but when they get all ballady or J-poppy, I can't reach for the skip button fast enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meega, nala kwishta!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd much rather listen to LadyBaby... but they only have like three songs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Dave wrote:
MABBY wrote:

Yep, he prefers Band-Maid as do I. Babymetal feels like a put together boy band but with Asian females backed by metal.

That's actually the idea. They're a combination of heavy metal and Japanese "idol" which for all intents purposes is their girl/boy bands. It's contrived to be what it is.

Like Erik said, when they just go for it, they're great (listen to Gimme Chocolate and you'll know what I mean), but when they fall into JPop, they're dime-a-dozen.

Their second album, while more commercially successful, is far inferior to the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drugo81 wrote:

I'd...erm...keep that to yourself, dude.

Women not girls rule my world, as a wise man once sang, so I'll pass and put on a P.J. Harvey album...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, got both cds.

They are basically metalized J pop, but I find them a fun, enjoyable listen. Something different.

Got onto them thanks to youtube. There is another Japanese band I listen to called Kishida Kyoudan and the Akeboshi Rockets, and I used to listen to a lot of there stuff on the tube. Anyway, Babymetal always seemed to be in the side bar, and I didn't pay them much heed until one day I caved, and listened to Karate.

Their concerts look like a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses guys.

I don't know, I just think Babymetal is a GREAT project, the 3 girls are amazing professionals who have been working together since they were really young, the kami band is made up of crazy talented musicians, the producer Kobametal is a metal fan who wanted to do something different and clearly succeeded, and both the coreographer and songwriters are some of the best in Japan.

I never felt anything quite like this for a band, their music and performances give me such an energy and positive thinking that I'm barely listening to anything else at the moment.

Also, I've just become a Rob Zombie fan thanks to them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward Sexby wrote:
Drugo81 wrote:

I'd...erm...keep that to yourself, dude.

Women not girls rule my world, as a wise man once sang, so I'll pass and put on a P.J. Harvey album...

LOL don't know what you're referring to...I only listen to them when playing solo board games cause none of my friends like them.

+1 for P.J. Harvey, but as said in my previous post, Babymetal is not just about the 3 girls...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:

That's actually the idea. They're a combination of heavy metal and Japanese "idol" which for all intents purposes is their girl/boy bands. It's contrived to be what it is.

Like Erik said, when they just go for it, they're great (listen to Gimme Chocolate and you'll know what I mean), but when they fall into JPop, they're dime-a-dozen.

Their second album, while more commercially successful, is far inferior to the original.

[/q]

They are actually becoming less J-pop and more metal oriented with time, and the new album Metal Resistance is clear proof of that for me.
I love both album but I'd say that overall their second one is better, their more mature and there are so many different metal styles and references in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drugo81 wrote:
They are actually becoming less J-pop and more metal oriented with time, and the new album Metal Resistance is clear proof of that for me.
I love both album but I'd say that overall their second one is better, their more mature and there are so many different metal styles and references in it.

I thought the same thing about the second album. And yes, the Kami Band is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
matthean wrote:
Dave wrote:
MABBY wrote:

I've listened to the other song. They still feel like a gimmick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
I've listened to the other song. They still feel like a gimmick.

Gimmick or not they are very good at what they do and you can`t deny it. Then it`s just a matter of musical tastes.

They have already made quite the history for Japan (e.g.: youngest band to perform at Budokan in Tokyo, first headline concert for a Japanese band in the UK, etc.), they just won the Best Live Act award at the UK Independent Music Awards, they performed with Rob Halford...oh and yeah, they`re gonna open five gigs of the new Red Hot Chili Peppers tour in the UK in December.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...plus yeah I wonder how many other performers have 3 world tours under their belt at 16 or 18 years old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.