Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » General

Subject: Return of the Squad Commander rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Franjo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a wargamer, I grew up playing games of Avalon Hill, Clash of Arms, SPI, NAC (old and defunct Spanish company) and others. Of all those games, the one that took me more time reading, searching and thinking outside pure gaming was Advanced Squad Leader. I even played its older brother, SL, for a brief time.

I thought then (and I still think now, for the most part) that ASL was the best possible tactical WW2 wargame. It has it all and it gave me a lot of my greatest experiencies as a wargamer. I played very nice scenarios, started a never ending Red Barricades campaign and commanded almost every nation or faction that participated in the war. I have very good memories about one of my last played scenarios, years ago, when I kicked Japanese asses with a group of elite Chinese assault engineers. ASL was (is) great and was worth all the time I spend on it.

But, as the years passed, I had fewer and fewer free time and that was not compatible with ASL hard playing. I ended up looking for light, stripped down infantry only scenarios, without vehicles or OBA, with simple terrain features, few mapboards and not too much units. They were the scenarios I could play in half an evening, and pure infantry OBs were always my favourites. Well, other games came in (shorter wargames, miniature wargames and other boardgames) and my ASL stuff ended stored inside plastic boxes in the garage...

So now, after long years without playing any tactical wargames on a cardboard with chits, I discovered Combat Commander and it was like
meeting again with an old friend who you find physically changed but who transmits the same very good vibes.

And I must say that reading these forums pushed me to finally purchase the (extremely good) Spanish edition of the game.

So... thank you all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And not to mention that the way CC deals with fog of war/SNAFU and C3i makes it even more chaotic than ASL which suffers from the "God-Like Player Syndrome" where players can direct a half-squad in the corner of the map to grab that .50 MG abandoned in the woods 10 hexes away and the "End of the World Syndrome", where the last turn of the game usually turns into a wild brawl as if there was no tomorrow.

CC is avoiding these issues beautifully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franjo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benoitl33 wrote:
And not to mention that the way CC deals with fog of war/SNAFU and C3i makes it even more chaotic than ASL which suffers from the "God-Like Player Syndrome" where players can direct a half-squad in the corner of the map to grab that .50 MG abandoned in the woods 10 hexes away and the "End of the World Syndrome", where the last turn of the game usually turns into a wild brawl as if there was no tomorrow.

CC is avoiding these issues beautifully.

Currently, I've only played 4 scenarios and I'm gladly surprised of the elegance of the system. A lot of great things happened. Some epic and some disastrous for me (and epic for my opponents, sure). Not expected OBA or reinforcements arrived that helped to turn the tide when everything seemed lost. Lot of heoric feats between some acts of cowardice (they were not cowards, not all of them, they've just had enough and didn't want to move, fire or assault any more... or they have not received the orders or misunderstood them). Game flows quickly when you begin to think about what to do now and next and less about the rules. And if a doubt arises, the rules are a dream. And if they fail (rare case), I can come to these great helpful forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome! As you say, a great game and great community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got CC, the ASLSKs, CoH, OST, and BoB. While they're all fine games, if I could have only one for the rest of my life, I'd choose CC every time. Without hesitation.

Welcome back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franjo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael_Olsen wrote:
Welcome! As you say, a great game and great community.

friendc wrote:
Welcome back.

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
friendc wrote:
I've got CC, the ASLSKs, CoH, OST, and BoB. While they're all fine games, if I could have only one for the rest of my life, I'd choose CC every time. Without hesitation.

Welcome back.

LOL. I "only" have ASL/ASLSK, but am looking at all those listed. For much the same reason as the OP. CC is the top of the list to acquire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an awesome game and it leaves you with so many great stories to tell. We played through all the published scenarios in chronological order over a year and it was one of the coolest gaming experiences I've ever had.

Welcome to the community!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franjo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
It's an awesome game and it leaves you with so many great stories to tell. We played through all the published scenarios in chronological order over a year and it was one of the coolest gaming experiences I've ever had.

Thanks Mark!

To play the scenarios in chronological order seems a great idea. But to do so I need the expansions and this time I had promised myself to not buying anything more until I finished to play (almost once each) all the scenarios from the Europe box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
perdut wrote:
Malacandra wrote:

Thanks Mark!

To play the scenarios in chronological order seems a great idea. But to do so I need the expansions and this time I had promised myself to not buying anything more until I finished to play (almost once each) all the scenarios from the Europe box.

Oh, surely you'll break that promise before long...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you try the truly outstanding random scenario generator, you won't be as focused on the scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
We played through all the published scenarios in chronological order over a year and it was one of the coolest gaming experiences I've ever had.

I am currently playing all scenarios (CC:E/M/R/P+BPs+C3i) chronologically (one-sided), but we can't manage it in a single year! After 3 1/3 year we completed 30.32% (109 scenarios still to play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
perdut wrote:
Malacandra wrote:

Thanks Mark!

Oh, surely you'll break that promise before long...

You will really want to get your CC set as complete as possible. You must get at least Med to complete the factions (it was meant as a single game). And then you will want the others for the maps, so you can use them with RSG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Galio
msg tools
Great community online discussion or vassal maybe..I live in one of the most populated and middle class places on earth and i can't find a soul to game regularly with..i've even posted signs in local game stores and literally ZERO responses after months.. people just don't play this game face to face...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
go to the user database and type in your state to find all users in your state. If it's to many, then try your town. Then browse profiles until you find one or two or five that seem to fit. Geekmail them. Play.

I got two local wargame clubs started that way -- one for board wargames and one for minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone in Seattle, available day times, I'll play ftf...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.