Hide
8 Posts

Runebound (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Master Thorn's Mind Meld with Battle Robes Channel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon W
msg tools
A friend challenged my understanding that Channel will double Mind Meld's damage. After searching the rules and errata and browsing the forums here I couldn't find anything specifically addressing it. I'll explain my thinking in detail, using [icon-name] to represent icons from the game text.

The text of Master Thorn's Mind Meld ability reads:
[2-surge] Mind Meld: For the rest of this combat round, after you take damage from an attack, deal an equal amount of [magic] damage.

The text of Battle Robes Channel ability reads:
[2-surge] Channel: For the rest of this combat round, double all your [magic].

I understand this to mean that a combat round could proceed as follows:

- Master Thorn wins initiative
- Master Thorn spends a [2-surge] token to trigger Mind Meld
- Enemy performs an inconsequential combat action
- Master Thorn spends a [2-surge] token to trigger Channel
- Enemy spends 2 [skull] tokens to deal 2 damage to Master Thorn
- Master Thorn takes 2 damage and triggers Mind Meld for 2 [magic] damage
- Channel causes the 2 [magic] damage to be doubled for a total of 4 [magic] damage
- Enemy takes 4 [magic] damage
- etc...

This understanding is based on my interpretation that the [magic] icon in Channel's text refers to any magic damage, and thus the magic damage dealt by Mind Meld should be doubled.

On the other hand, my friend argues that the use of the text "double all your [magic]" in the Channel ability specifically refers to [magic] tokens as the word "damage" is omitted. She believes that Channel causes any [magic] tokens in your combat pool to be treated as if they were [2-magic] tokens.

It seems to me that there is merit to both arguments and my reading has not clarified the intent of the rules. How would you interpret this interaction? Is there anything I've missed in the published material that clears this up?

P.S. This post indicates reading Channel's [magic] icon as "magic damage" and seems to support my interpretation, but I think my friend's argument might be valid even in that case as "[magic]" and "[magic] token" are used interchangeably in the published material, eg. in the Magic Damage section of the Rules Reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it's ambiguous. I interpret it as doubling magic tokens, specifically. Not all effects that generate magic attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both tokens and Thorn's ability are boosted by the Robes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is definitely unclear. The only way to know for sure would be to request a response from Fantasy Flight Games.

However, I believe there is merit in the reminder that the person controlling the enemy is allowed to pass without spending all of their tokens. They can see what tokens Thorn has available to him and generally should avoid attacking him while he has Mind Meld up unless the damage is going to kill him (or they will die this turn anyway and just want to maximize damage on Thorn). They should probably avoid attacking if he has both Mind Meld and Channel up at the same time, just to be safe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
msg tools
It's true that the enemy can easily avoid the Channel + Mind Meld combo (if indeed Channel doubles Mind Meld). The question arose because my friend assumed one thing and I assumed the other. She didn't try to avoid the combo thinking it would do less damage than I thought it should. To make matters worse, this was the deciding factor in the Vorakesh fight. Our debate was settled peacefully but it leaves me wondering what the intended interpretation was.

How would I go about posing the question to Fantasy Flight? Edit: found it in their contact info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Use this page!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/contact/rules/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
msg tools
I received a response from Fantasy Flight:

Quote:
Thanks for the question. The symbol refers to magic damage, whether it comes from combat tokens or not. Thus Channel doubles the damage from Mind Meld. Hope that helps,

--
Lukas Litzsinger
Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

That means Channel is applicable across a large variety of other abilities too. Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.