Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Roswurm
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it says that the Collector's Chibis is limited. Does anyone know how limited? And secondly, it seems that only Funagain is selling the preorders, are they the only company that will eventually sell this edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
undinefuerte wrote:
So it says that the Collector's Chibis is limited. Does anyone know how limited? And secondly, it seems that only Funagain is selling the preorders, are they the only company that will eventually sell this edition?

Hello.

The pre-order offer will stop October 31st. We don't have plans for a repeat offer in the future.

Since Asmodee USA who supported the base game Collector Edition was not interested anymore they graciously let us use another route.

We did not want to do a KS because there was nothing to add to the game (stretch goals) that really made sense. We also have no experience in KS, no resource in community management. Yet, we wanted to let the US gamers access the game at a reasonable price and at the same time as Europe.

Funagain was selected to act in a role of fulfillment company on behalf of Surfin' Meeple our Distributor in the USA for the Collector Edition. There will be no sale beyond this event. That was our solution to achieve our two main goals: Control the price and offer a reasonably large access to the CE in the USA.

Based on how it goes, requests from the gamers, as well as hopefully other vendors we'll assess what the next step could be.

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Shaw

Central
msg tools
mbmb
arnaud4matagot wrote:
undinefuerte wrote:

Hello.

The pre-order offer will stop October 31st. We don't have plans for a repeat offer in the future.

Since Asmodee USA who supported the base game Collector Edition was not interested anymore they graciously let us use another route.

We did not want to do a KS because there was nothing to add to the game (stretch goals) that really made sense. We also have no experience in KS, no resource in community management. Yet, we wanted to let the US gamers access the game at a reasonable price and at the same time as Europe.

Funagain was selected to act in a role of fulfillment company on behalf of Surfin' Meeple our Distributor in the USA for the Collector Edition. There will be no sale beyond this event. That was our solution to achieve our two main goals: Control the price and offer a reasonably large access to the CE in the USA.

Based on how it goes, requests from the gamers, as well as hopefully other vendors we'll assess what the next step could be.

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.

Hi Arnaud

Thanks for your update. Just wondering what other channels the Takenoko Chibis Collectors' Edition will be available through. I checked the Matagot website (in English) but could only find the Funagain link. I'm based in Asia but have access to a UK mailing address. Indeed, I'd be willing to order through Funagain but the crazy-high shipping cost (just for the expansion, I already have Takenoko CE) sadly makes it a non-starter. Are/will there be other ways to order?

Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb

How do we pre-order it in Europe?

When you click on the Matagot shop it says 'La boutique est inaccessible pour le moment.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Langevin
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arnaud4matagot wrote:
undinefuerte wrote:

Hello.

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.

Bonjour Arnaud,

Any plans for Canada? Funagain charges almost as much for shipping ($87) for the $99 Chibis CE...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LaTraille wrote:
arnaud4matagot wrote:
undinefuerte wrote:

Hello.

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.

Bonjour Arnaud,

Any plans for Canada? Funagain charges almost as much for shipping ($87) for the $99 Chibis CE...

Hello,

Canada just like any other countries except France and the USA is dependent on local partners. They can order the games (we sell them even one by one) just like Europe and hopefully the final price will be good. Transportation quickly becomes the dominant part of the cost for those big boxes and volume is key to lower costs in that area. We never charge more for the game depending on the country or quantity, so in the end it really depends on local partners.
France has had great cooperation from Asmodee.
US was treated separately because there was no route and a traditional route would end-up being be very costly to end customers.

Since the game is new I think Canada will see at least some copies and you could get one via regular stores there. Whether that will be cheaper than the current offer, I cannot tell but I'm mildly optimistic because while shipping can seem very high you're saving on shops margins (Funagain does not charge its regular margin for the game, just what the lower amount we negotiated with them for this special offer).

Best of luck,
Arnaud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Arnaud, will you have this for sale at Essen Spiel?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
Hi Arnaud, will you have this for sale at Essen Spiel?

Thanks

Hello,

Base game will be, Chibis will not even be produced.

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Arnaud,

How will Europeans order the game? Will it be offered from Matagot's website or/and retailers? Do you have any firm dates on the table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NasosP wrote:
Hello Arnaud,

How will Europeans order the game? Will it be offered from Matagot's website or/and retailers? Do you have any firm dates on the table?

Hello,

It will be available either via the local retailers (Few countries supported us) and via the largest French online ones. Not on our shop which we essentially closed. Same thing as for Takenoko, which CE is right now. The actual demand is just very low, even in the US actually we're rather underwhelmed. From the mails we received we expected more.

No firm date yet. The offering in the US stops 31st of October 2017 Then we'll arrange production.

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arnaud4matagot wrote:
NasosP wrote:
Hello Arnaud,

Hello,

It will be available either via the local retailers (Few countries supported us) and via the largest French online ones. Not on our shop which we essentially closed. Same thing as for Takenoko, which CE is right now. The actual demand is just very low, even in the US actually we're rather underwhelmed. From the mails we received we expected more.

No firm date yet. The offering in the US stops 31st of October 2017 Then we'll arrange production.

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.

Thx for the info Arnaud. And thank you for going forward with producing the CE for Chibis!

If I may comment on the interest, I believe that the pricing may have put some people off. It probably isn't overpriced per se, but it seems a bit higher than what was expected compared with how much the base game CE costed.
Not a complaint, just an attempt to provide an explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junxian Meng
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arnaud4matagot wrote:
NasosP wrote:
Hello Arnaud,

Hello,

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.

Hello Arnaud,

Could you upload a list of local and online retailers later? I did not plan to purchase a copy of Takenoko CE just because Chibis was not included...Now I think it is time to get a copy...(The selling method is a bit unfriendly...too difficult to pre-order) I hope you could provide more convenience to ordinary players. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Giant
United States
Sitka
AK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arnaud4matagot wrote:
The actual demand is just very low, even in the US actually we're rather underwhelmed. From the mails we received we expected more.

I think there's a couple reasons for this:

1. It's hard to find info on the CE Chibis Expansion. A google search for "Takenoko Chibis Deluxe" or "Collectors" brings up next to nothing, with the Funagain Pre-Order buried at the bottom of the searches. Unless people have been checking BGG for updates for the last year straight it would be very easy to miss this short window to pre-order.

2. Funagain isn't a common name for a lot of gamers. They might be wary of buying something from an outdated and difficult to navigate website. Paired with the lack of news announcing this release it could easily be mistaken for something shady.

3. The cost to component ratio here is pretty underwhelming. This will cost me at least half of what the base game did, probably more, and I'll be getting a just a handful of cardboard and strangely glossy sculpt. It's certainly another nice box, but it's not why I'd be buying this.

4. On the same note, I think a lot of us were hoping for something more for the baby pandas since they're the highlight of the expansion, having just cardboard disks is once again underwhelming.

I really wanted to get this for my wife, but now I'm pretty certain she'll think I'm an idiot if she hears the price.

I don't know, maybe a few more photos would help. A little publicity and being sold through more than one partner sure wouldn't hurt either. Upgrading those babies would do a world of good as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
arnaud4matagot wrote:
The actual demand is just very low, even in the US actually we're rather underwhelmed. From the mails we received we expected more.

I'm sorry to hear this, as I’m a big fan of the collector’s edition and would like to see it be a big success. I have to admit though I haven’t ordered the expansion myself yet… I guess it is mainly the price point.

Seeing the Miss Panda figure for $25 kinda leaves me feeling like I’m paying $75 for just the tokens and cards. Also feels like I’m paying largely for another crate which I’d rather not even have. In fact, I think there’s enough room in the original crate to hold Miss Panda and the new tiles… would have been really cool if you were able to redesign the top foam insert to allow for it to all fit in the original crate. Ah well.

Funagain is fairly well known I think… one of the original online game sellers. But I noticed during the contest a few weeks back there wasn’t even a link to the preorder. I have seen banner ads I think.

I would recommend to at least post in the “News” section on these forums that the preorder is happening. Hasn’t really been announced.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/174095/takenoko...
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70919/takenoko/forums/68

Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Giant
United States
Sitka
AK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to agree, I'd rather have a piece of foam to replace the top level on the existing box than a beautiful expansion box all on it's own. I've only got so much shelf space.

I actually prefer the umbrella panda as a female sculpt and would likely use it anyway, and we've never gotten close to using all the bamboo, so the only real value to us would be the chibis, a handful of cards, and a few tiles.

A Kickstarter would have been good just to open it to feedback before it was all final, and to drum up a bit of publicity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lee
United States
West Columbia
SC
flag msg tools
badge
I love my wife!
mbmbmbmbmb
zmapenguin wrote:
arnaud4matagot wrote:

I think there's a couple reasons for this:

1. It's hard to find info on the CE Chibis Expansion. A google search for "Takenoko Chibis Deluxe" or "Collectors" brings up next to nothing, with the Funagain Pre-Order buried at the bottom of the searches. Unless people have been checking BGG for updates for the last year straight it would be very easy to miss this short window to pre-order.

2. Funagain isn't a common name for a lot of gamers. They might be wary of buying something from an outdated and difficult to navigate website. Paired with the lack of news announcing this release it could easily be mistaken for something shady.

3. The cost to component ratio here is pretty underwhelming. This will cost me at least half of what the base game did, probably more, and I'll be getting a just a handful of cardboard and strangely glossy sculpt. It's certainly another nice box, but it's not why I'd be buying this.

4. On the same note, I think a lot of us were hoping for something more for the baby pandas since they're the highlight of the expansion, having just cardboard disks is once again underwhelming.

I really wanted to get this for my wife, but now I'm pretty certain she'll think I'm an idiot if she hears the price.

I don't know, maybe a few more photos would help. A little publicity and being sold through more than one partner sure wouldn't hurt either. Upgrading those babies would do a world of good as well.

I would guess that sales would at least double if they made the baby pandas as sculpts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Langevin
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arnaud4matagot wrote:
NasosP wrote:
Hello Arnaud,

Hello,

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.

When it's made available elsewhere than a single shop in the US with ludicrous shipping fees for other countries, you'll see demands increase, don't worry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LaTraille wrote:
arnaud4matagot wrote:
NasosP wrote:
Hello Arnaud,

Hello,

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.

When it's made available elsewhere than a single shop in the US with ludicrous shipping fees for other countries, you'll see demands increase, don't worry.

I appreciate that apart from France and USA we do not have any solution. I am sorry for that, but could not do better. Here is why: It won't sell better because the price will then be higher.

Outside of France, unless there are more distributors willing to squeeze their Margin as Asmodee France did, there will be a higher price tag. So far no one else did that. Chibis will be available in France the same way the base game is. Same time as in the USA.

Before this offer base giant game was at 300$ in the USA, which prompted our attempt to make it more affordable.

The reason the price would not go down is because that deal is not with one shop, Funagain does not sell the game. We pay for the use of their website and logistics in the USA. We asked for a specific "Matagot" skin, to make that clear, but could not get one on time, which makes it very misleading.

I happily accept that people don't like what we've done, or appreciate it, or think we should have done it differently. Volume of sale is not a concern, my comment was very factual and neutral (at least that was my intent, maybe poor English), the whole operation is not profitable anyway and we never planned it to be. It is done for the fans. Maybe it is a failure in that respect, which is ok, that is part of life. At the very least I would hope we showed we tried honestly.

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Giant
United States
Sitka
AK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arnaud4matagot wrote:
I happily accept that people don't like what we've done, or appreciate it, or think we should have done it differently.

I appreciate what you've done. The CE for Takenoko is fantastic and always gets a smile from my wife when we set it up.

It might be too late to change the components, but maybe the publicity and photographs could still get bump?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Vecstric
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arnaud4matagot wrote:
NasosP wrote:
Hello Arnaud,

Hello,

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.

Ok? So is Sweden one of the 'Few countries [that] supported us'?
If so, how do I know which local retailer will get the expansion? I guess I can't wander into any toy or boardgame-shop expecting to see a copy of the game on the shelf?

And if Sweden is not among those few countries: Could you please give me, who know NOTHING about French onlines stores, the links to those stores so I can order from then? (preferably PRE-order if it is a very limited amount).

I'm really worried that I'll miss the train on this expansion since it seems to be at least three limiting factors to getting it:
* Very limited release
* Preorder only in USA
* Preorder ends in 2 weeks
crycrycrycrycry

Mind you, I ended up ordering the original Collectors Edition from USA since I found it frikkin impossible to find it in Europe. Please don't make me go do that again with all the customs and shipping fees for what I consider to be an essentially EUROPEAN game.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris milnes
msg tools
@Arnaud

Hi, I'm in the UK and don't want to miss out on the Chibis expansion as I already have the collectors edition.

Where do I pre-order it from? If its available to pre order in the US but not in Europe at this time? don't you risk some of your customers ordering from the US with the extra costs in shipping and tax?

Regards Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gazzola
msg tools
I too would like to know if I missed the preorder?

This is the first time I even heard about the possibility of the Chibi expansion in CE form.

I signed up on the funagain website, bur after reading the above comments, It seems like the preorder window is past?

Thanks for your time

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fellvengeance wrote:
I too would like to know if I missed the preorder?

This is the first time I even heard about the possibility of the Chibi expansion in CE form.

I signed up on the funagain website, bur after reading the above comments, It seems like the preorder window is past?

Thanks for your time

Dan

Hello,

Yes pre-orders are closed now.

We are trying to get the Game (CE Original and Chibis) to the gamers via more regular channels in the US. We have no further details whatsoever right now.

As for Europe we will refill the inventory and offer it through regular channels. I assume middle of first half of 2017.

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gazzola
msg tools
Hello:

It is unfortunate (as other posters have noted) that more wasn't done to promote this boxed set.

I don't frequent BGG and I had not heard of Funagain games until doing an off hand search wondering about the availability of a special edition for the Chibis. (my wife and I own the CE set) My excitement has now turned to frustration over this.

I feel very left out, but I guess those are the breaks! Hopefully it will be available for order in the future, but I guess I won't hold my breath!

Perhaps I can snag a copy of it from the foreign market you speak of?

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fellvengeance wrote:
Hello:

It is unfortunate (as other posters have noted) that more wasn't done to promote this boxed set.

I don't frequent BGG and I had not heard of Funagain games until doing an off hand search wondering about the availability of a special edition for the Chibis. (my wife and I own the CE set) My excitement has now turned to frustration over this.

I feel very left out, but I guess those are the breaks! Hopefully it will be available for order in the future, but I guess I won't hold my breath!

Perhaps I can snag a copy of it from the foreign market you speak of?

Dan

Yes, while we did our best the communication always misses out some people. Does not matter what we did we did miss you and many others I'm sure. With that dais on a more optimistic note, I most definitely see a path where the game CE will be available, just so far I am not sure exactly how and when.

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.