Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/showdown-over-oil-pi...

Interesting article.

Quote:
The simmering showdown here between the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and the company building the Dakota Access crude oil pipeline began as a legal battle.

It has turned into a movement.

Over the past few weeks, thousands of Native Americans representing tribes from all over the country have traveled to this central North Dakota reservation to camp in a nearby meadow and show solidarity with a tribe they think is once again receiving a raw deal at the hands of commercial interests and the U.S. government.

I can't see how that pipeline route can be morally or ethically justified. If the pipeline has to be built, do it along the original route and ignore the nimbyism of the residents north of Bismark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck to em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do they need some French Vanilla Coffee creamer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll be sure to tell all the First Americans living in Oklahoma they can start joining the "Great Awakening" instead of cowering in fear...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
I cannot see any guns, so presumably not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

What does this joke reference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

What does this joke reference?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3392922/Call-supplie...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
I can't see how that pipeline route can be morally or ethically justified. If the pipeline has to be built, do it along the original route and ignore the nimbyism of the residents north of Bismark.

BWHAHAHAHA FUCK THEM !!!! All these fucking half wit Democrat voters who cheered for the use of eminent domain are now getting a fucking taste of the shit they wanted others to eat.

I love it ! Fuck Jill Stein as well, arrest that idiot. lock em all up !
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-judge-grants-short...

On a side note, how come they are so upset about an oil pipeline, they had no problem with water, sewer, telecom encroachment. Oil pipelines are infinitely more safe then trucking the oil to where its needed.

BWHAHAHA Eat shit you government loving trolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
remorseless1 wrote:
I'll be sure to tell all the First Americans living in Oklahoma they can start joining the "Great Awakening" instead of cowering in fear...
"First Americans"? They hadn't called themselves THIS at all, ever! Each may have their specific 'appellation' denoting "Mother/Father"-spirits et al, whilst NONE would consider "it" as 'Living', there in Oklahoma! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
GROGnads wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
"First Americans"? They hadn't called themselves THIS at all, ever! Each may have their specific 'appellation' denoting "Mother/Father"-spirits et al, whilst NONE would consider "it" as 'Living', there in Oklahoma! shake

laughlaughlaugh

As you are spared the indignity of living in Oklahoma, you would not be aware this is how more and more Native Americans in Oklahoma refer to themselves: First American. Odd how patriotic they are, but they have been "awake" since Wounded Knee back in the 1970s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
'moi' HAD the 'unfortunate' experiences of being trained, and later being stationed at "Fort Sill", as the first of that convinced myself it was truly some 'horrid place', while the subsequent encounter MADE it a 'hated horrid' sort then. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
GROGnads wrote:
'moi' HAD the 'unfortunate' experiences of being trained, and later being stationed at "Fort Sill", as the first of that convinced myself it was truly some 'horrid place', while the subsequent encounter MADE it a 'hated horrid' sort then. yuk

Damn, you were at Sill? Which years, you damn redleg?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Autumn 1978 for Basic & AIT, with the next 2 Years in Europe, and then 1981-82 for this. Here's a photo of one of the several 'signs' I made back then.

There was another placed and mounted within our Barracks, as the Senior D.I. declared that he was keeping this one for whenever he would become stationed at Berlin sometime much later. A fellow Geek had seen the other sort from when he went through there during the 'next cycle' of recruits, just after myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Well, to be fair, Lawton/Fort Sill is in the worst quadrant of Oklahoma. It's hot as hell most of the year, covered with ice for the other month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The $3.8 billion pipeline now under construction was approved by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to cross under the Missouri River a mile north of the reservation.

That river is the source of water for the reservation’s 8,000 residents. Any leak, tribal leaders argue, would cause immediate and irreparable harm. And tribal leaders point to what they consider a double standard, saying that the pipeline was originally going to cross the Missouri north of Bismarck, the state capital, but was rerouted because of powerful opposition that did not want a threat to the water supply there.

The tribe says it also is fighting the pipeline’s path because, even though it does not cross the reservation, it traverses sacred territory taken away from the tribe in a series of treaties that have been forced upon it over the past 150 years.

The reservation sued the Corps in July, saying that the agency had not entered into any meaningful consultation with the tribe as required by law and that the Corps had ignored federal regulations governing environmental standards and historic preservation.

Dean DePountis, the tribe’s attorney, said: “This pipeline is going through huge swaths of ancestral land. It would be like constructing a pipeline through Arlington Cemetery or under St. Patrick’s Cathedral.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The pipeline company has hired mercenaries to escalate the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
tommynomad wrote:

So the media lives another day. Whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:

were they driving a black van ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
BFoy wrote:

BWHAHAHAHA FUCK THEM !!!! All these fucking half wit Democrat voters who cheered for the use of eminent domain are now getting a fucking taste of the shit they wanted others to eat.

I love it ! Fuck Jill Stein as well, arrest that idiot. lock em all up !
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-judge-grants-short...

On a side note, how come they are so upset about an oil pipeline, they had no problem with water, sewer, telecom encroachment. Oil pipelines are infinitely more safe then trucking the oil to where its needed.

BWHAHAHA Eat shit you government loving trolls.

People who want clean water were not concerned about water pipe lines, the hypocrites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
All these fucking half wit Democrat voters who cheered for the use of eminent domain are now getting a fucking taste of the shit they wanted others to eat.
Citation needed. Nobody I know likes eminent domain, I was under the impression that was bipartisanly disliked by everyone but developers and city councils. Maybe you are referencing a specific event?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
All these fucking half wit Democrat voters who cheered for the use of eminent domain are now getting a fucking taste of the shit they wanted others to eat.
Citation needed. Nobody I know likes eminent domain, I was under the impression that was bipartisanly disliked by everyone but developers and city councils. Maybe you are referencing a specific event?

Trump loves him some Em Do. He's used it in business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Nobody I know likes eminent domain, I was under the impression that was bipartisanly disliked by everyone but developers and city councils.

Progressives and big government types love it, Even former democrat Trump loves it. The Keystone pipeline was the first major shift of the GOP loving it on a major scale. It's fun to see the Democrats finally get stung by it.

Every leftist candidate seems to support the abuse.
https://www.isidewith.com/candidate-guide/issues/domestic-po...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Nobody I know likes eminent domain, I was under the impression that was bipartisanly disliked by everyone but developers and city councils.

Progressives and big government types love it, Even former democrat Trump loves it. The Keystone pipeline was the first major shift of the GOP loving it on a major scale. It's fun to see the Democrats finally get stung by it.

Every leftist candidate seems to support the abuse.
https://www.isidewith.com/candidate-guide/issues/domestic-po...

And I am not seeing a lot of

"Yes as long as the companies really need the land for their own profits".

In fact only one candidate says unequivocally yes, now who is that I wonder?

Personally I do not agree with it, except (as Sander says) "but only in extreme cases of national emergency "..

How (by the way) are the Democrats being stung becasue an Indian Tribe are campaigning agasint a pipeline, are all Indians democrats?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Progressives and big government types love it, Even former democrat Trump loves it. The Keystone pipeline was the first major shift of the GOP loving it on a major scale. It's fun to see the Democrats finally get stung by it.[/url]
First you say Democrat voters cheer it and now you say Progressives love it. I am more progressive and liberal than I am Democrat and I don't love it... at all. I often vote Democrat also. I think you are confusing some politicians who are trying to appease business interests for one reason or another with a much wider group who would rather not just allow businesses to take people's properties.

Eminent domain is not taxes, it is very hard to make any good arguments for it in a free society that protects private property. There are rare exceptions. Most people on the sharp end of the stick (the majority of voters) would agree I think.

As for your link, I really don't think Hillary is a leftist, but I think Bernie's stance is most acceptable. There are conceivable emergency scenarios where eminent domain, either temporary or, even more rare, permanently, is justifiable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
tommynomad wrote:

were they driving a black van ?

Dang that was a fun show.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.