Popular Tags: [View All]
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what are the opinions on variants here? I have a hunch nobody here really cares if a game is "derivative" or "original" as long as it is good.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. And I like exploring variants sometimes, particularly chess variants in which all pieces move the same way but the victory condition or some other rule has been altered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple question, simple answer: Some people like them, some people don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, variants! Can't live with'em, can't live without'em!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Some were "afraid" of them, in that their 'purely' conception of this may become 'discombobulated' through whatever, or, were lone confining with SUCH "challenging enough"? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Another question then... How much different does a variant need to be considered a legitimate game on their own?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
PSchulman wrote:
russ wrote:

Another question then... How much different does a variant need to be considered a legitimate game on their own?

Do I have to think in a different way? If yes, it's a new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PSchulman wrote:
russ wrote:

That's certainly a more difficult question!

mrraow wrote:

That seems a good appealing answer, but it seems hard to decide what "thinking in a different way" concretely means. In some technical sense, every change to the game would require you to think in a (perhaps only slightly) different way, right? So really I guess "think in a significantly different way" - but how to quantify or measure or define that?

E.g. at a high strategic level, maybe someone is using the same way of thinking when playing Hex and Twixt. But certainly the detailed tactics are different. (Is one a variant of the other?)

Is Havannah a variant of Hex? (I think I've seen some describe it as such, yet the 3 different kinds of victory conditions make it seem different to me and require different thinking.)

Is Shogi a variant of Chess? (I've seen it described as such, yet the drop rule certainly requires a different type of thinking.)

---

Maybe it's useful to consider simpler cases. E.g. are 9x9 and 13x13 Go variants of standard 19x19 Go? I guess most people would agree that they are. Hmm, and yet the thinking required in the opening strategy is quite different.

So I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
russ wrote:
PSchulman wrote:
russ wrote:

So I don't know.

I second that. Who would define 'legitimate' in the first place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:
russ wrote:
PSchulman wrote:
russ wrote:

So I don't know.

I second that. Who would define 'legitimate' in the first place?

The players, perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
mrraow wrote:
PSchulman wrote:
russ wrote:

That sounds like a sensible definition but it implies that anti-chess is a new game rather than a variant of chess and that seems intuitively wrong to me.

I don't think there's really an objective distinction that can be made between variants of existing games and games in their own right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Buckersuk wrote:
That sounds like a sensible definition but it implies that anti-chess is a new game rather than a variant of chess and that seems intuitively wrong to me.

This seems probably true of very many of the games/variants at http://chessvariants.org e.g. I found Alice Chess to require me to think differently from normal Chess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
russ wrote:
Buckersuk wrote:

This seems probably true of very many of the games/variants at http://chessvariants.org e.g. I found Alice Chess to require me to think differently from normal Chess.

I'm probably the last person to consult as a player, but Grand Chess quite obviously requires players to adapt tactically, but not so much strategically. But real players might disagree. So might any number of you guys, of course .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
PSchulman wrote:
So, what are the opinions on variants here? I have a hunch nobody here really cares if a game is "derivative" or "original" as long as it is good.

Thoughts?

Expect some trolling if you design a game too similar to another one you didn't know of (and thereby you don't mention it). It is impossible to know all 5000+ abstracts listed on BGG (not to mention other lesser known sites).

To your original question: IMO, variants are welcome if they enrich the game space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fell
United States
East Patchogue
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PSchulman wrote:

Thoughts?

The way I look at it is...
thumbsup--If the variant is better than or different from the original. And give it a name. ie "Caldera" for the original "Volcano"
thumbsdown--For confusing the rules of the original game. Its not always easy to find opponents for abstract games and they can sometimes be turned off to a game when the rules are in doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PSchulman wrote:
russ wrote:
Simple question, simple answer: Some people like them, some people don't. :)

Games only need to be playable to be considered "legitimate" games in their own right. People may not ever play them, but that doesn't change the fact they are actually playable games. And they may easily be as enjoyable as the games we rate as excellent and play over and over.

Chess variants and wargames are probably the best examples I can think of. If you take a look at the 5000 or more chess games, you can clearly see they fall into families of games that are extremely similar. So much so that it's obvious there is a kind of continuum of chess variants that while slightly granular, shade tiny step by tiny step into each other.

And the same is true of wargames. One of the knocks on Avalon Hill way back in the day was that the only thing that changed in many games was the board. All else was essentially the same. And all those games were supposed to be realistic. If you allow what-ifs, sf, or fantasy wargames, then again, with a little thought it's obvious that wargames can shade over into one another, too. And just because the games haven't been played or even designed yet does not change things. (Lord! I just thought of D&D modules...)

In fact, it's a design strategy to take a game you like that has some relation to a game you want to design, and modify that game step by step into the game you want it to be. One of the ways to ensure your final game is playable right away is to make each intermediate modification a playable game in its own right. And that creates a string of games between 2 different games that are similar to their neighbors and illustrate that with enough ingenuity, you could connect almost any 2 games like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.