Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our posse is now level 4, and we are having a tough time finding real challenges to face.

Does anyone have good ideas to make the game tougher?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Change the enemies to Brutal. I know the rules say to do it at level 5 but it does offer a nice challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Standard answer is: expansion enemies are significantly tougher.

Beyond that, well... it gets into the realm of houserules, and there's a lot you can do.
Badlands helps some.
More threat cards per draw, more encounters, advanced encounters, treating the posse as larger than it is. And more elite abilities/go brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this system of increasing Posse difficulty levels

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23621520#23621520

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kind of hard for me to believe you think SoB is easy with the current crop of monsters playing them on brutal with extra abilities and you want something more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Rayburn
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We increase enemy health by .5 per 2 levels. This really balanced out the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad it worked for you but my mind is boggled. I'm seeing a sea of monsters covering the whole tile with failed darkness rolls increasing difficulty and spawning more monsters and imagining you saying, this is just TOO easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I'm glad it worked for you but my mind is boggled. I'm seeing a sea of monsters covering the whole tile with failed darkness rolls increasing difficulty and spawning more monsters and imagining you saying, this is just TOO easy.

It rarely takes our level 6 posse more than 1-2 rounds to completely clear a tile.
Even after including many of the expansion monsters, it's just not that tough.
We even treat our 2 person posse as 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooperton wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

It rarely takes our level 6 posse more than 1-2 rounds to completely clear a tile.

You should do a youtube video!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Cooperton wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

It wouldn't be very high quality, I'd have to film it on my phone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooperton wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
Cooperton wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

I'm not a videographer either so I can't advise you there. Some videos I've seen don't use complicated filming techniques, they just use a single fixed camera (like Keith Lowe's Megacon Myth videos) but he's clearly got the camera mounted on a support/tripod of some kind.

You could also take stills (try to give yourself some good light, hold your breath and let half out and press the shutter on the phone to try to maintain sharpness) and then explain your tactics on a BGG post. Clearly you must be doing something right. I've been very cautious and am using MOSTLY the original monsters and I've still had some close calls. And the more recent monsters are more and more powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Cooperton wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
Cooperton wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

I'm not a videographer either so I can't advise you there. Some videos I've seen don't use complicated filming techniques, they just use a single fixed camera (like Keith Lowe's Megacon Myth videos) but he's clearly got the camera mounted on a support/tripod of some kind.

You could also take stills (try to give yourself some good light, hold your breath and let half out and press the shutter on the phone to try to maintain sharpness) and then explain your tactics on a BGG post. Clearly you must be doing something right. I've been very cautious and am using MOSTLY the original monsters and I've still had some close calls. And the more recent monsters are more and more powerful.

I mean, I could explain our builds and tactics pretty easily.
The main tactic is, of course, the plug. But more and more we've needed to abandon that to deal with specific threats (void sorcs etc). At which point we just move in and kill as much as possible.

As far as builds:
Saloon girl with void sword and tools of science and high cunning. She gets to re-roll defense due to starting skill. And got two skills from the second from the left tree, and has since been working down the far right tree.
On a kill she gets grit back on a 5+ and always heals 2 wounds on a kill.

US Marshall: rolling thunder, resolve tree first, then working down the far left tree for more mobility.
Punisher shotgun: darkstone grip, darkstone bullets.
Cavalry saber with darkstone grip and custom forging.
Mutations: void child (now with void child pistol!), Barbed tail, prehensile tail, fused with rock.
All that means he gets 9(10) dice per attack (at melee range) 4 shotgun shots (5 when he kills something), 4 saber attacks, and a void child pistol shot.
All the shots are at +4 damage, the saber attacks are at +3 damage. (+1 to all damage in an other world cause of sigil or otar- Multiverse Marshal baby).
He converted to buy the re-roll defense item from the church, and has a bandolier to re-roll hits, and of course the Punisher let's you reroll damage. In any large fight he kills enough per turn to always keep him grit maxed, and even if he runs out of grit, he can use darkstone for rerolls.
He's a mutant, darkstone powered, killing machine.
Typically, he'll kill everything next to him with the saber/void child, then proceed to lay out the pain with the shotgun.

The (resolve) Marshal is very likely the most powerful character in the game.
The ability to not really care about mutations, and also get +1 shot from a shotgun at the same time is amaze-balls.

But this power combo didn't really kick in until level 5. At 4 the Marshall was solid, with the punisher with 4 shots (and I think I had the saber then too)
But at 5, when I got the resolve capstone the whole game changed. I was no longer struggling to keep up with the saloon girl/survive the monsters, now I was hunting them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I'm a lot lower in level than that with 4 characters playing solo. I do not have near that much stuff yet and I'm trying to avoid mutations.

I've seen an Outlaw on YouTube at level 6 and he was pretty powerful with a LOT of shots but nothing quite on that level. Plus he was alone.

Even so, powerful as you are, if you played all the monsters (especially the new ones) on Brutal with all advanced abilities it's hard to believe you wouldn't be challenged.

It's funny because balancing party power is usually a job for the DM in a role playing game. Early in your DM career you make the mistake of giving your players something way overpowered and you learn to recognize the potential problems and avoid most of them in the future. It's a delicate balance between giving them things they like but not things that are going to unbalance the game later. Here, the automated DM is dependent on chance and the cards the players pick.

You could alway play the part of the DM and ban items you feel make you too powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have many of the new monsters (not all, yet). I actually just got a new batch of monsters for my bday, still need to build them.
We haven't started adding extra affixes yet, but that's likely the next step in challenging ourselves.
Re: mutations. The saloon girl only has one(barbed tail), and every town visit she struggles internally about whether to keep it. She doesn't want to be a mutant, but it's sooo beneficial.
Meanwhile, the resolve Marshal's bread and butter is mutations. He's probably had a dozen or more chopped off, and only keeps the most beneficial ones.
I've been told Trederra is a game-changer (it's up next to be built), so we'll see how the posse does with that.

It's also worth noting: the game is *much* harder at lower levels. We struggled a lot before level 4. Often just barely making it through due to soothing presence, and that was with mostly core monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Laude
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mb
The question I have is what are you doing in the game that its so hard for you? I have played this game with quite a few people and everyone has found that the game to be on the easy side, even after putting in all the expansion monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, it's nice to know it gets easier.

What I have found difficult so far is the lack of management (by the game) of the threat level. In some games you can find the objective after a few rooms of easy low threat monsters.

Then in the next game you can be hit at the entrance with threat cards which give you monsters that are really beyond the level of the cards, then after failing a darkness roll, more monsters, and then more monsters, and before you know it the tile is stuffed with monsters. I've seen games on YouTube that ended at the mine entrance.

The mechanic of the "hold back the darkness" roll means that merely rolling a couple of dice can produce anything from boredom to terror. This is obviously not accidental, it's intended by the game. But I prefer the threat level to be better managed, as it would be in a RPG. I mean what you're really doing is having an "adventure" right? Would you have liked the Indiana Jones first movie if the boulder had crushed him at the beginning of the movie and it had ended after 15 minutes? Probably not.

Ideally the players should win, but just barely and they should feel like they could have easily lost. That is the "illusion" that a good DM gives you. But if it's more than an illusion, if the players really do die in a void twister after coming to town, then that is not much fun (which is what happened to me my first visit to town -- a roll which I ignored).

That is what I find hard -- the runaway threat. It doesn't always happen, but I don't want the inverse either (no threat at all). I'd like something a little more dependable. It's hard to tune the threat level when it's is so wildly variable right? Maybe it's just me. I am not the target demographic for most games I admit. I still like this game a lot and love the RPG feel and like the lack of an "overlord."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

That is what I find hard -- the runaway threat. It doesn't always happen, but I don't want the inverse either (no threat at all). I'd like something a little more dependable. It's hard to tune the threat level when it's is so wildly variable right? Maybe it's just me. I am not the target demographic for most games I admit. I still like this game a lot and love the RPG feel and like the lack of an "overlord."

I think that's just the way SoB rolls. There are games that try to tightly balance the growing threat and keep it consistent and challenging. SoB just throws dice at everything and lets that chaos create the story.

Personally, I ended up enjoying it quite a bit - but would prefer it with slightly more tactical play... less movement for monsters and perhaps figures not blocking movement completely (spend 2 movement i.e. Imperial Assault, letting monsters/players move through and diminishing value of "block the hallway" strategy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
c4dillon wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

I think that's just the way SoB rolls. There are games that try to tightly balance the growing threat and keep it consistent and challenging. SoB just throws dice at everything and lets that chaos create the story.

Personally, I ended up enjoying it quite a bit - but would prefer it with slightly more tactical play... less movement for monsters and perhaps figures not blocking movement completely (spend 2 movement i.e. Imperial Assault, letting monsters/players move through and diminishing value of "block the hallway" strategy)

I feel like many of the new monsters minimize the value of the "block the hallway" strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how I feel about the new monsters negating the block the hallway strategy because it's kind of the one tactical choice open to players right?

Shouldn't the game encourage you to play well tactically rather than just rolling dice till you're dead or they are? Course you can always import the Trederra barrel/box combos or tank traps into the mines and play the cover rules (and just play that the terrain can't be moved through). Now you might just be able to use the terrain to do more than just block the doorway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Caine
msg tools
Trederra and Frontier Town have definitely been the most interesting tactical expansions to SoB. I especially like FT - the layout of the Town map and some of the more complicated missions like Hanging High are very interesting and fun in how you approach them tactically. You know, I think the game is at it's best when both the Posse and the baddies are shooting each other rather than hitting each other. Melee just isn't as interesting as the pew pew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Heh, we were recently starting a new campaign (our 6th - with two of them max level groups). Our first portal was to Tredarra - end up with acid rain, expanding radiation, mutants and legionnaires. Figuring we were dead with that at first level, we high-tailed it back through the portal and around corners in the mine to force the ranged mobs to come catch us, at which point we actually cleared them.

In a three-person group with two henchmen and a smith, we ended up with five mutations and four injuries (by pulling someone off the combat tile and using an action to revive them).

We never did go back through that portal - definitely need more gear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I'm not sure how I feel about the new monsters negating the block the hallway strategy because it's kind of the one tactical choice open to players right?

Shouldn't the game encourage you to play well tactically rather than just rolling dice till you're dead or they are? Course you can always import the Trederra barrel/box combos or tank traps into the mines and play the cover rules (and just play that the terrain can't be moved through). Now you might just be able to use the terrain to do more than just block the doorway.

But I didn't say negate. I said minimize.
If every fight is the same *block the hall, shoot til theyre dead or you are*
That's not tactics either.
But if you have spell casters, and ranged enemies, and enemies that hit multiple posse members mixed in, now you have to think about what the best way to engage is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooperton wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

But if you have spell casters, and ranged enemies, and enemies that hit multiple posse members mixed in, now you have to think about what the best way to engage is.

On most board games you'd have more tactical maneuvering, cover, altitude, etc etc. What kills that dead is mostly the HBTD roll. THEN it's the fact that the cool terrain tiles are mostly for show. Blocking the hall might not be MUCH of a tactic but it is the best you can really do without ending up rolling a lot more HBTD rolls and even then there is no place on the tile to run to in order to get a tactical advantage. You can't run to that mine cart and jump up top to get a +2 to your attack rolls or anything like that. You can't use the mine cart to block the enemy. You CAN use some tile's "chasms" to funnel enemies but only if they don't fly or start out in ambush.

I just don't think there is much there tactically. Frontier Town and Trederra are both trying to add some terrain though. I think you should definitely use the Trederra 3D terrain in the mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Cooperton wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

On most board games you'd have more tactical maneuvering, cover, altitude, etc etc. What kills that dead is mostly the HBTD roll. THEN it's the fact that the cool terrain tiles are mostly for show. Blocking the hall might not be MUCH of a tactic but it is the best you can really do without ending up rolling a lot more HBTD rolls and even then there is no place on the tile to run to in order to get a tactical advantage. You can't run to that mine cart and jump up top to get a +2 to your attack rolls or anything like that. You can't use the mine cart to block the enemy. You CAN use some tile's "chasms" to funnel enemies but only if they don't fly or start out in ambush.

I just don't think there is much there tactically. Frontier Town and Trederra are both trying to add some terrain though. I think you should definitely use the Trederra 3D terrain in the mine.

I agree. And I've been kinda thinking about how to do it randomly.
Havent come up with anything concrete yet cause my semester just started so it's kind of a back-burner idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use Frontier a town cover rules for shooting round corners, but that would also lengthen the game. I play that Large, XL and XXL monsters can move through heroes as if they were medium monsters, so that you cannot just block the tunnel. Also that these block line of sight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.