Subject: Game-based learning in higher education rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Olivas
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Dear all,
I am a political scientist teaching in university and I am trying to identify people interested in game-based learning in higher education.
I work in London, however, in my institution most colleagues do not show much interest in exploring modern game design techniques with students. All games they dare to try in class are simply re-designs of snakes&ladders, monopoly or trivial pursuit. They mostly fail to appreciate the nuances of game board design and how learning objectives can be conveyed in different ways. A bit sad...

I have decided to try to identify other board-game designers / educators to share experiences and see whether we can collaborate in future initiatives.

I would be very grateful if you could share with me some names of people or institutions already breaking this "barrier" and applying to real university settings modern game design techniques.

Thank you very much in advance!
Best regards,
Jose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Do you want board/RPG games to play in class? Or do you want your students to actually design a game or two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Olivas
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi, not so much looking for games to play in class (many come to my mind) but more about exchanging experiences with others who have used them or plan to do so. I also proposed a game design seminar but the department does not seem thrilled by the idea. So it would be great to help others who may be in a more innovative institution and have more leeway to try new things.
Designing games is difficult, but doing it around some pre-determined learning objectives even more. In particular if you try to make it a real game which people would play also outside class for enjoyment. Still I think it is doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Olivas
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
And I would also like to discuss ideas about games that can be used as learning tool in political science.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should get in touch with Scott Nicholson. (http://www.scottnicholson.com/)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Olivas
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Absolutely, I sent him a message earlier today. I have been listening him in podcasts. Although now that he is teaching in Canada he is less often in the podcasts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.