BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Northeast

Subject: Looking for a group Philadelphia, Pa rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey I'm a 25 year old guy looking for a group to play with. I might be able to convince my fiance to come too. Really wanna play game of thrones, I got it but my friends don't want to play haha. I also have quantum, dead of winter, impulse, and libertalia. Looking to meet up weekly or every two weeks. I can host sometimes as well. If you're just a single person who wants to play, let me know maybe we can find others and get a group going. I live in Philadelphia near the Roosevelt Blvd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It shouldn't be too hard for you to come to EPGS on the first and third Saturdays of each month.

See our horribly out-of-date website at http://epgs.org/

We still meet at the Oxford Valley Mall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live about 4 blocks from the Roosevelt Boulevard and imo Oxford Valley Mall is really far for a game group.

I recommend checking out Redcaps in University City and Philly Loves Games game group on Meetups.

I would try to set things up more locally but with only two of us in the Northeast near Roosevelt Blvd, it wouldnt be very feasible. Hopefully some more may respond and then we can make another group thats more local to the NE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmo Flynno
United States
Croydon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I drove by the Roosevelt Mall yesterday and saw a store in there that I hadn't seen before, Games Workshop. I just checked it out and found it to be more for painting miniatures and miniature gaming. If you check the place out, some people there may have suggestions for gaming groups more local to that area?

https://www.games-workshop.com/Games-Workshop-Cottman-Avenue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive been in Games Workshop twice and the one at Roosevelt Mall doesnt associate with BGers at all. Its all miniatures gamers. The only thing they had of note was The Silver Tower BG, and even trying to discuss hobby bgs didnt lead anywhere.

Its been open a few months at least, since I moved here.

But yeah, just fyi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmo Flynno
United States
Croydon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
Ive been in Games Workshop twice and the one at Roosevelt Mall doesnt associate with BGers at all. Its all miniatures gamers. The only thing they had of note was The Silver Tower BG, and even trying to discuss hobby bgs didnt lead anywhere.

But yeah, just fyi.

Thanks for the info. I had thought of stopping in there, but glad I didn't now. I guess their business is thriving with Miniature gamers and they don't need to bring in more people by being receptive to other gamers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmo Flynno
United States
Croydon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
I live about 4 blocks from the Roosevelt Boulevard and imo Oxford Valley Mall is really far for a game group.

Yeah, It might be a little far, but they have long gaming hours and a great variety of games being played. I've frequently seen between 30 - 40 gamers during the peak afternoon hours, with a dozen different games on the tables at a time. I've gotten the opportunity to play many "Play test" versions of games there, involved myself in Pandemic tournaments there, and have often played recently released games there too. Some regular members come from different parts of NJ, Delaware and Montgomery counties, as well as Philadelphia. If you're ever interested in checking out a newly released game before you buy it, there's a really good chance it will be played at the OVM (Especially if you ask on their Facebook page before the meeting).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
havoctimmo wrote:
NowOrNever88 wrote:

But yeah, just fyi.

Thanks for the info. I had thought of stopping in there, but glad I didn't now. I guess their business is thriving with Miniature gamers and they don't need to bring in more people by being receptive to other gamers?

Games Workshop is a miniature games company that makes mostly Warhammer 40k. They won't let you play anything but GW mini games there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For laughs I used google maps to check the travel time to the Oxford Valley Mall and to Redcaps in West Philadelphia, using Cottman avenue as an arbitrary point on the Boulevard. Expected travel time by car is virtually identical.

I am not saying that either spot is really ideal for someone in Northeast Philly, but the advice that the mall is "too far" along with the recommendation to instead visit a shop in West Philly is simply ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dweeb wrote:
For laughs I used google maps to check the travel time to the Oxford Valley Mall and to Redcaps in West Philadelphia, using Cottman avenue as an arbitrary point on the Boulevard. Expected travel time by car is virtually identical.

I am not saying that either spot is really ideal for someone in Northeast Philly, but the advice that the mall is "too far" along with the recommendation to instead visit a shop in West Philly is simply ridiculous.

Keep in mind that not everyone who views this may have a car either. Septa public transit to Redcaps is 1 hour while to OVMall is 1 hour 24 minutes, and that's only one way. In total its 50 minutes extra commute for the day.

Otherwise, OVMall is 18.5 miles while Redcaps is 13 miles, which may be a difference that others care for. (That'll be an extra 11 miles for the full trip.)

Also, note that Redcaps was just one example, there are other meetups in Philly that're closer to the NE.

But yeah, just FYI for those out there reading this and wanting the info. Hope this helps.

Source:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cottman+avenue+to+oxford+val...
https://www.google.com/search?q=cottman+avenue+to+redcaps+ga...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
None of your business

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
felixthecat325 wrote:
Hey I'm a 25 year old guy looking for a group to play with. I might be able to convince my fiance to come too. Really wanna play game of thrones, I got it but my friends don't want to play haha. I also have quantum, dead of winter, impulse, and libertalia. Looking to meet up weekly or every two weeks. I can host sometimes as well. If you're just a single person who wants to play, let me know maybe we can find others and get a group going. I live in Philadelphia near the Roosevelt Blvd.

I live in Philly too and am open to gaming on Saturdays and Sundays. I own the Dead of Winter expansion, The Long Night as well as a few other horror games. I also go to EPGS but it is NOT in Philadelphia. Its actually located out in Langhorne in Bucks county. So I am looking to game with someone closer who doesn't just game once or twice a month at a remote location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
msg tools
You mentioned Game of Thrones, but wasn't sure if you meant the boardgame or the LCG. There's a group of us that gets together at 7th Dimension Games on Saturdays to play the LCG, usually around 1-2 until about 6-7. If you meant the boardgame, Saturdays are also open boardgaming days at the store.

Depending on where on the boulevard you are, it shouldn't be that much of a drive for you. Their website is www.7thdimensiongames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.