BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Design & structure issues rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Wakefield
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hello everyone. I am working on designing my first board game, and I am wanting to have some people read over what I have so far and see if they notice any loop holes or concerns. Or even ways to improve some things. You can find the original topic https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1631342/board-game-concept-... as I posted it in the wrong forum. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxwell Menzies
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Wakedaddy87 wrote:
Hello everyone. I am working on designing my first board game, and I am wanting to have some people read over what I have so far and see if they notice any loop holes or concerns. Or even ways to improve some things. You can find the original topic https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1631342/board-game-concept-... as I posted it in the wrong forum. Thanks.

Is this the first you've designed? Don't let me discourage you but it seems like a lot...? As mafman6 said, though, being too ambitious isn't the worst problem, but keep in mind that sometimes the best game has its roots in simplicity.

While I like the mix and match board game/virtual component, I would caution you to not get too crazy, as it may detract from the fun of the game or even it's core ideas.

I have fallen often into the trap of triviality; making every part of the game complex and intuitive but less streamlined, with a rulebook the size of a dictionary.

There's a great post on the Board game design forum that talks about theme and gameplay, which comes first and where you should go from where. I'd find it for you but I'm too lazy.

GOOD LUCK!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wakefield
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
bugzonexxx wrote:
Wakedaddy87 wrote:

Is this the first you've designed? Don't let me discourage you but it seems like a lot...? As mafman6 said, though, being too ambitious isn't the worst problem, but keep in mind that sometimes the best game has its roots in simplicity.

While I like the mix and match board game/virtual component, I would caution you to not get too crazy, as it may detract from the fun of the game or even it's core ideas.

I have fallen often into the trap of triviality; making every part of the game complex and intuitive but less streamlined, with a rulebook the size of a dictionary.

There's a great post on the Board game design forum that talks about theme and gameplay, which comes first and where you should go from where. I'd find it for you but I'm too lazy.

GOOD LUCK!!

Yes, this is my first game design. And I realized after looking at things more and more, it is too complex in some areas. So I am working with a friend of mine to help me clean it up. And obviously working with everyone's help here as well.

I have revisited everything and I am planning on pulling the electronics part as it is too much and would make the game way too costly in the long run. So now I just need to work on cleaning up a few more things and playtesting. Seeing really how complex it really is.

We will see though. I will definitely keep this updated with things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.