$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
100 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Apple: It takes COURAGE for us to force you to replace your headphones rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb

with proprietary ones that only Apple sells.

We're making your old stuff useless and charging you money because we're brave and facing the future!

This company, I swear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
Also, "If only you'd paid for the upgrade program, you'd been able to pay us $700 sooner!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reason 1084 not to buy iCrap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:

It comes with an adaptor to allow a 3.5mm connection, and any Bluetooth headphones will work as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
windsagio wrote:

It comes with an adaptor to allow a 3.5mm connection, and any Bluetooth headphones will work as normal.

People still use wired headphones ? What the what ?!?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
windsagio wrote:

Does the adapter allow simultaneous Lightning charging? Putting the headphones through the Lightning port seems to reduce flexibility, not increase it.

Is that true about Bluetooth? I've seen lots of info about their new Bluetooth-like Chip, but I haven't seen a confirmation yet that they will support the Bluetooth standard still. It would be suicide not to, but you never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it time to start waiting in line yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
You need to upgrade your music so that you can tell the difference between wireless crap and wired goodness. Nickleback isn't going to cut it. No Metal, No Music. Know Metal, Know Music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
And why can't I still read my 3.5" floppy disks?
They're right to want to get rid of the last analog component of a digital phone. It takes up too much space for the functionality it provides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batman wrote:
Is it time to start waiting in line yet?
You are only allowed to wear Apple branded clothing and wait in Apple approved lines while behaving in an Apple approved manner. Your iWatch will tell you when to report to your Apple iEducation center in order to transfer your wealth for your Apple approved communication device.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:

Yes. I still use CDs and DVDs, too.

I am uninterested in anything "cloud-based."

Why would I willingly hook myself up to the Borg?

It's interesting (in the bad way) that you and Jeremy can have totally opposite opinions, yet I couldn't decide which was more stupid and ill-informed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
They're right to want to get rid of the last analog component of a digital phone. It takes up too much space for the functionality it provides.
Headphones will still be analog, the wires just go through the same port as everything else now. Or your music will be transmitted through the atmosphere in digital form on radio frequencies, reconverted in your headphones to analog and then sent to the speakers of your headphones over copper. You aren't getting rid of any analog, you are just extending the digital phase into the atmosphere so your head isn't wired to your phone anymore. Yeah! Now you can recharge your phone and your headphones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucifer called, he wants his apple back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:

However, while flash drives and memory cards completely obsolete 3.5" floppy disks, wired headphones DO have functionality that wireless headphones don't. If that functionality is important to you, this is an incredibly annoying move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
The point of the "upgrade program" is to pay for your devices as a service. You pay a monthly fee and then get to swap out your device once a year with the latest and greatest. You don't have to drop $700 at once which is why it's desirable.
They should have called it iLayaway, it makes more sense. You know you have drank the kool aid when you agree to buy an unknown product with unknown capabilities sight unseen, for hundreds of dollars, on a monthly installment plan before it is even designed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
windsagio wrote:
Also, "If only you'd paid for the upgrade program, you'd been able to pay us $700 sooner!"

The point of the "upgrade program" is to pay for your devices as a service. You pay a monthly fee and then get to swap out your device once a year with the latest and greatest. You don't have to drop $700 at once which is why it's desirable.

Sure, that's not how the guy sold it though.

It was very much "People who have the upgrade program can buy a new one right away! Everyone else will have to wait!"

Didn't expect you to be an apple guy for some reason, BJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Does the adapter allow simultaneous Lightning charging? Putting the headphones through the Lightning port seems to reduce flexibility, not increase it.

I don't believe the included one does, but I bet 3rd party ones will. The adapter solution will always be less than ideal.

Quote:
Is that true about Bluetooth? I've seen lots of info about their new Bluetooth-like Chip, but I haven't seen a confirmation yet that they will support the Bluetooth standard still. It would be suicide not to, but you never know.

The phone will have normal Bluetooth as well as the new Apple thing, so any Bluetooth device would work (or not work) the same as before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
aiabx wrote:
Headphones will still be analog, the wires just go through the same port as everything else now. Or your music will be transmitted through the atmosphere in digital form on radio frequencies, reconverted in your headphones to analog and then sent to the speakers of your headphones over copper. You aren't getting rid of any analog, you are just extending the digital phase into the atmosphere so your head isn't wired to your phone anymore. Yeah! Now you can recharge your phone and your headphones!

It does seem a little unlikely that the wireless 'earbuds' Apple is pushing will have a DAC chip in them even comparable to the poor DAC processor in the iPhone, itself, nevermind anything higher quality.

But you're almost certainly listening to reduced-bitrate music for copy to the phone, anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter. (Anyone using their phone as the primary audio storage/playback device is just wrong - this is something objectively true)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
aiabx wrote:

It does seem a little unlikely that the wireless 'earbuds' Apple is pushing will have a DAC chip in them even comparable to the poor DAC processor in the iPhone, itself, nevermind anything higher quality.

But you're almost certainly listening to reduced-bitrate music for copy to the phone, anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter. (Anyone using their phone as the primary audio storage/playback device is just wrong - this is something objectively true)

I'm sure it's fine if you mostly listen to bittunes <>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

People besides 14-year-old teens use iCrap products?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Convenience and nice aesthetics are worth a decent amount. Been using iPods/iPhones forever and a day and never had any particular desire to switch back to Android since the added functionality is faaaairly irrelevant to me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
There's a Lightning to audio jack converter supplied with the phone.

As has been mentioned though, it doesn't sound like that will allow you to charge and listen to the headphones at the same time. Unless they have a major battery extension, I'd consider that a serious drawback.

Plus, a converter is one more fiddly little piece to keep track of and lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Yes, but only 14 year olds use terms like "iCrap". I manage the phones at my site and I easily hand out 95% iPhones to Android. People who don't care about the specifics of technology and want things that just work with what they need generally choose iPhones. Personally I have a Note 4 and an iPad 3 to keep current with both (As well as a company owned MacBook Air and HP Ultrabook). Also, iOS gets the best and often exclusive board game app releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
I use iPhones and iPads cause I don't want the hassle of dealing with various android devices. I have used android devices previously, and I was less than happy with their performance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an exclusive artists rendering of what you can buy for the iphone 8. Yes, now you can spend hundreds of dollars knowing what you will get for a change! With this exclusive configuration Apple has further steamlined and reduced wasted space in the phone by making the camera external and Bluetooth-like wireless!

But that's not all. Now, with the super-upgrade plan, you can pre-pay for the iphone 9. Guaranteed 6 times battery life! How is that possible you ask? The part of you phone that takes up the most space and the most battery is that pesky screen. Now, you will have it wireless too! Fantastic!

What if wireless doesn't jiggle your dingleberries? That's fine, right now Apple Engineers are hard at work making a new adaptor for the Lightning port. Note, this is a pre-production prototype, the actual model will most likely not be bigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.