Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Krynicki
United States
Lakeville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have owned this game for quite some time, having enjoyed it the two or three times I've gotten the opportunity to play it.

Something which has puzzled me is how cavalry is portrayed in this game.

First, cavalry doesn't make an appearance until mid-way thru the 1st day (Union) or the 2nd day (Rebel). Is this accurate?? Most other games I've played on Shiloh has the cavalry with their divisions/corps from the start.

Also, in this game, the primary purpose of ones cavalry is to "herd" infantry units around. During movement, infantry units will not lose strength due to "straggling" if they are accompanied by a cavalry unit. Although an interesting concept.....is this really accurate??

In most accounts I've read about the ACW, cavalry's primary role was reconnaissance and screening. Later, with the proliferation of the repeating rifle, the Union developed most of their cavalry into a kind of Dragoon (Mntd Inf). However, I don't think I have ever came across a reference to cavalry being used to "usher" units around the battlefield.

Anyone have any thoughts/illumination??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I know is limited however as the story goes
Early in the war, April 1862, only 9 months after 1st Manassas, the armies discipline & organization wasn't as tight as was in the later years, so there were stragglers, a lot of them. This was especially true for the Battle of Pittsburg Landing/Shiloh There were calvary units that did round up a lot of these stragglers.

I hope this helps

Another interesting note, this battle took place just about a year after a lot of enlistment were about to end. Albert S Johnston needed to bring on a general engagement before most of his army disappeared.
Remember this was suppose to be a short war
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Krynicki
United States
Lakeville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomas7163 wrote:
What I know is limited however as the story goes
Early in the war, April 1862, only 9 months after 1st Manassas, the armies discipline & organization wasn't as tight as was in the later years, so there were stragglers, a lot of them. This was especially true for the Battle of Pittsburg Landing/Shiloh There were calvary units that did round up a lot of these stragglers.

I hope this helps

Another interesting note, this battle took place just about a year after a lot of enlistment were about to end. Albert S Johnston needed to bring on a general engaged before most of his army disappeared.
Remember this was suppose to be a short war

Thanks for the insight.....no wonder there was always bad blood between the infantry and cavalry. Who knew, cavalry was the ACW version of the NKVD!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st Infantryman: "Ever seen a dead cavalryman?"

2nd Infantryman: "Nope."

1st Infantryman: "Me neither."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.