6 Posts

The Others» Forums » Rules

Subject: Revealing Dark Past card at end of hero turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Knees
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the hero is at max corruption it says to reveal their dark past card at the end of the hero turn. My question is, what if the hero reaches max corruption during the sin players reaction to that hero? Or during any other effect for that matter. Would you wait until the end of there next turn?

ps. I'm six games in now and this game gets better and better. Two tentacle thumbs up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the hero reaches max corruption during a point that is not their turn (lots of ways to do this), I would assume you would wait until their next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Knees
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeathWarden wrote:
If the hero reaches max corruption during a point that is not their turn (lots of ways to do this), I would assume you would wait until their next turn.

Thinking about it further, what you're saying seems right. It is how it's written. If a hero went to max corruption during the sins reaction or outside of their turn, they would have their next turn activation to cleanse some corruption before revealing their dark past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shadi Khoja
Saudi Arabia
Jeddah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me, but I thought the Sins reaction to the hero player is still considered part the hero players turn. Only once the sins player has reacted, or has declined to do so, does the heroes player end.

But good point, will have to double check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shadikhoja wrote:
I don't have the rules in front of me, but I thought the Sins reaction to the hero player is still considered part the hero players turn. Only once the sins player has reacted, or has declined to do so, does the heroes player end.

But good point, will have to double check.

Yeah, they are separate. The reaction happens after the hero ends their turn.

I also think that the point here, as mentioned above, is that the player will be able to expect or manipulate how much corruption they have, and if they can't or don't, they will meet their Dark Past at the end of that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grizzt Du'Ordunot
msg tools
XeyneGaming wrote:
Yeah, they are separate. The reaction happens after the hero ends their turn.

I also think that the point here, as mentioned above, is that the player will be able to expect or manipulate how much corruption they have, and if they can't or don't, they will meet their Dark Past at the end of that turn.

I agree, the intention of rule appears to be to give the player some control over when they face their Dark Past. However I can see where some confusion can appear given the different definitions about what constitutes a 'turn end'. Specifically with regards to Sin Cards.

With respect to Sin Cards, the 'Turn' does not end (meaning it's time to discard the Sin Card) until both the Hero Turn and Sin Reaction (if any) comes to a close. That is one type of 'End of Turn'. That differs from the Hero's End of Turn, which is when the Player has completed all of their Moves/Actions/City Actions, but before the Sin Reaction (if any).

With the number of ways to get Corruption outside of a Hero Turn, it would just be too big a damage spike in most cases. You have your Corruption maxed outside your hero turn, likely taking 'splash' wounds at the same time...then have to reveal your Dark Past which as often as not just adds even more damage and probably kills you.

I think the Dark Past feature needed more work to be honest. I find the card effects are, for the most part, somewhat underwhelming. Most other 'effects' in the game either give corruption or cause wounds. Half the DP cards do the same thing. These should mix up the gameplay in a bit more interesting fashion, add some more theme or character to the heroes that follows them around for a while, rather then a simple '1 and done' wound effect.

#4 in particular irks me. I can't see how the choice of "take 3 corruption" differs in any way from "take 3 wounds". Since you are already at max Corruption (hence why you turned over the DP card), taking more corruption means you take wounds instead. And what either choice has to do with being a former Hell Club member is beyond me.

I'd rather have seen the effect be something like "Add 2 Corruption to each other Hero in yours or an adjacent Space, otherwise take 3 wounds". Your old Hell Club sympathies bubble to the surface and are causing an adverse affect amongst your allies.

Or add a permanent state effect like, "You add 1 Corruption result to any Sin roll against you or an ally sharing your Space for the remainder of the game." Conflicted loyalties...

Don't get me wrong! Love the game, presentation, minis, all that stuff. The words 'Dark Past' just evoked a sense of sinister mystery that intrigued me, and seem at odds with the rather mundane effects they deliver (granted 6 and 7 are pretty dramatic!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.