Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1» Forums » Rules

Subject: A beginner's questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
t glahn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay, I bought ASLSK #1, read the rules, tried the first scenario to get a feeling for the game - and now, I'm completely hooked.

Yet, several questions arose while playing:

1) Do wounds stack?
2) When in DFPh, can a unit target a hex in which there hasn't been any movement in the previous MPh?
3) After CC is resolved and there are more than a total of three squads and four SMCs left - what happens to the remainung units?
4) Do I understand it correctly that in the RtPh the attacker and defender take turns to rout one unit each until there is no unit qualifying for routing left?

Kind regards
glahn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No. Maximum of one wound per leader.
2. Definitely! You can shoot at someone that Prep Fired for example.
3. The stacking limit is 3 squads per side, not 3 squads total, so you're still good.
4. No. The player whose turn it was has to do all of his routs first and then the other player does all of his routs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t glahn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the immediate answer. Step by step, I start seeing the bigger picture - even though I'm sure that those questions haven't been my last ones.

Kind regards
glahn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GRS

Poland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glahn wrote:
Thanks a lot for the immediate answer. Step by step, I start seeing the bigger picture - even though I'm sure that those questions haven't been my last ones.

Kind regards
glahn

If you're new in this business, remember that Jay Richardson's ASL SK tutorials are your best friends. And welcome to the dark side!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glahn wrote:
Thanks a lot for the immediate answer.

My pleasure. Enjoy the game. Don't be in a rush - you can play these 6 scenarios over and over and over without getting bored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Grisz wrote:
If you're new in this business, remember that Jay Richardson's ASL SK tutorials are your best friends. And welcome to the dark side!

This. A million times this.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/40482/jay-richardsons-asl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am giving complementary answers to the excellent ones already given for the three first questions.

glahn wrote:
1) Do wounds stack?
No. But a leader can be wounded again (with a +1 drm to the wound serverity dr, which makes the risk of mortal wound higher).
But there are no stacking effects for being wounded more than once.

glahn wrote:
2) When in DFPh, can a unit target a hex in which there hasn't been any movement in the previous MPh?
Yes, and all units in the hex are targeted - those who moved and those who didn't.
It only is during the MPh that only the currently moving units are targeted (leaving those which moved previously and those who haven't moved - whatever their future intentions - unaffected).

glahn wrote:
3) After CC is resolved and there are more than a total of three squads and four SMCs left - what happens to the remainung units
The stacking limits are per side.
That means that each side can have up to 3 squads and 4 leaders.
A situation of overstacking after CC resolution is actually impossible in the SK system : no leader generation due to a 2 DR nor overstacking during the MPh or APh are allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t glahn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for all the feedback I've received. I finished the first scenario and am utterly enamoured by the game and how it plays; it develops as a wonderfully baroque danse macabre. Even though no further questions have come up yet, I'm sure I'll stumble across them as I play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t glahn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The more I play the more the system clicks - yet questions still come up on a fairly regular basis, some repeatedly, some only once and soon forgotten.
Two instances of uncertainty which often come up are
a) When using Defenive First Fire, I always apply the modifiers based on the hex a unit intends to leave, eg: if a unit wants to leave a stone building and enter a street, I apply the +3 TEM for stone buildings. Is that correct?
b) Can units form FGs (except for SWs, of course) in CC? I understand this is implied by the sentence "Units may attack any unit or combination of units in the same hex, so long as no unit attacks or is attacked more than once per CCPh." Additionally, I understand this sentence that way that I may pick one unit of mine and declare an attack on two or three enemy units which ally die, if I pass the DR for the Kill number. Is that correct as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glahn wrote:

a) When using Defenive First Fire, I always apply the modifiers based on the hex a unit intends to leave, eg: if a unit wants to leave a stone building and enter a street, I apply the +3 TEM for stone buildings. Is that correct?

Always, always, always apply the modifiers for the hex being entered.

glahn wrote:

b) Can units form FGs (except for SWs, of course) in CC?

Every unit can participate in one attack and every enemy unit can be attacked once. It's up to you to decide how to split things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Lago Vista
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
glahn wrote:

Incorrect. Movement expenditure occurs first, then you fire at the new Location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t glahn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Peter and Brian,

thanks a lot to both of you for correcting my assumption. There's still a long way to go for me, but I've already notived a growing familiarity with the basics during the second scenario, which played much more fluently than the first one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Lago Vista
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
What can I say...I am a rules junkie. Glad to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t glahn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The more I play, the more questions crop up - especially in areas I wouldn't have believed beforehand.

Here's another one, which has just come up while sitting down to solve a simple equation: Does DM also affect leaders in their ability to self-rally?

Kind regards
glahn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glahn wrote:
Does DM also affect leaders in their ability to self-rally?

Yup. Anyone who is DM doesn't want to rally. If they rally, they know you're just going to send them out to get shot at again. The DM guys want to go home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t glahn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As always: thanks again for your quick response. I've always played it the way you described but became uncertain when rereading the paragraphs concerning the RPH, because DM is only mentioned in the 'rally'-subsection but not in the 'self-rally' one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t glahn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Two weeks ago I finished the last scenario and started working through ASLSK#2 right afterwards. In its very first scenario a situation came up that could have happened in the first Starter Kit as well, so I'll post it in this thread.
During RPh a broken leader rolled an original 12, failed the wound dr and died. Yet, this leader was stacked with three broken HS. I rolled LLMCs which none of the units passed and I took them off the board due to the resulting Casualty Reduction. Even at the time I wondered - and am still wondering - if this procedure was correct, because the rulebook assumes that an LLMC occurs when the leader is attacked, which obviously wasn't the case in my situation.

Kind regards
glahn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The LLMC happens whenever the leader is killed.
In the index/glossary of the rules, the entry for LLMC does not say anything about the leader being attacked. It just talks about the "loss of the leader".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t glahn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your quick response and confirmimg my initial assumption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.