Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I pulled this revered title off of my shelf the other day, and I've been having a blast with it. I have no particular expertise in this system--indeed, in all the years I've had this game, I've only ever solo'd it, and I don't think I ever even finished a game! (Sad)

But I've been playing the main scenario and really enjoying it, so I thought I'd share my observations on TTPs so far. I'm betting that anyone reading this has far greater experience than I with the game, so there won't be anything groundbreaking here. In fact, I'd really just like to learn from you veterans out there.

Here's what I've taught myself:

1. As indicated in the Designer's Notes, a night attack is powerful, and the norm is for the Allies to pull one off early, with the Germans potentially doing one toward game end. In my current game, the initial attacks cleared a small path of German machineguns, so the Essex boys and Raj conducted a night attack that put them next to the Continental Hotel.

2. Consider the critical maneuvers BEFORE resorting to fires. This is when I screwed up with the Germans big time. At the start of turn 3, I stupidly wasted my first turn with the Germans on an ineffective artillery strike, forgetting that the Continental Hotel was uncovered. The Allies stormed right through the Hotel and into the Hotel Des Roses. I had German reinforcements that could easily have plugged the gap.

3. There are no supply lines to worry about. As I solo'd the game, I have my natural infantryman's concern for my rear area--until I realized that there really is no rear area. Especially early in the battle, there are some nice opportunities for Allied infantry to infiltrate deep--either up the mountain or through gaps in the city. Such maneuvers can change the whole battlefield geometry, denying maneuver to the Germans and stretching their already thin defenses.

I was able to grab three of the four Quisling Line objectives before turn 4, but currently (turn 5) I'm still a few VPs short of an Allied win. I have high hopes of pushing out from the city this turn and grabbing some of those VPs to the west. The Germans have just a toehold west of the Botanical Gardens right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keeler
Germany
Mittelbrunn
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Glad to see someone is playing this game. I last played it 3 years ago. I really wish there were nicer looking counters to go with the nice map. I do enjoy how the game plays. Like you, I've only played this one solo. Maybe someday will undertake a vassal game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Durango
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also glad it's getting played. It's on my stack of "need to get back to" games, unfortunately that stack seems to get higher and higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the same way. Too many games, too little time. And I'm in the bad, misanthropic habit of always playing solo. There's a gaming group in my city, but I'm perpetually too lazy in the evenings to bestir myself.

Anyway, I'd be up for a vassal game if anyone wants to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The closest thing to "rear area" or supply-line concern is that you are easier to kill if you have no legal area to retreat to.

Also, if I am playing the Retreat rules properly, it is possible to let your opponent infiltrate by retreating forward if you do not have your line back-stopped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.