Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who have been interested in Shudde-M'ell, I finally finished everything. Thanks for your patience, sorry it took as long as it did, but the wait definitely made the final product better than it would have been otherwise.

For those of you who haven't been following this, and would like to get a taste of what this Ancient One is like, here you go:

And the reverse side:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cultist: Have you considered to just give the Cultist the stats of the Mob Monster and add the "When this Monster is spawned, devastate this space." effect to the Cultist token?

Grand Cthonian: At first I understood the "do no damage from the
test" part as though the Grand Cthonian would do no damage to the Investigator. But the flavor was completely off in that interpretation, and that finally made me realize how it's supposed to work. The flavor is great here, but it would really be nice if you would use wording that's consistent with the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
Cultist: Have you considered to just give the Cultist the stats of the Mob Monster and add the "When this Monster is spawned, devastate this space." effect to the Cultist token?

I did. Ultimately I went with the current effect for two reasons. The most important one is thematics; there are a number of people who take the mythos very seriously, and, well... there are no cultists for him. The other reason is that this returns cultists to the bag, allowing them to be redrawn.

Quote:
Grand Cthonian: At first I understood the "do no damage from the
test" part as though the Grand Cthonian would do no damage to the Investigator. But the flavor was completely off in that interpretation, and that finally made me realize how it's supposed to work. The flavor is great here, but it would really be nice if you would use wording that's consistent with the rest of the game.

Thanks for the feedback; when I do an update I'll tweak the wording a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Haven't had time to read through this thoroughly, but looks very cool - I like especially how it sort of creates a fourth type of location.

Some first impressions...
Scrambled Eggs seems like it'd be really tough - Cthonians are no joke to beat and you have to kill one per investigator, this seems a lot more difficult than equivalent mysteries like Gnoph-Keh, even with Seismic Stations helping (which seem pretty unreliable to place).

First bulletpoint of the AO says "Chhonian" instead of Cthonian.

With lots of investigators preparing the world could be very hard. Imagine an 8 player game, we need to prepare 8 cities, so if 2 are devestated (Very possible) we now need to undevastate some, which can in theory happen from Ruined encounters, but is very unreliable.

Also, are there card backs available for these if I wanted to print them and give it a go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adelphophage wrote:
First bulletpoint of the AO says "Chhonian" instead of Cthonian.

Typos, the bane of my existence. Thanks, I'll get that one fixed next update. Typos on the cards can be PMed to me. (And there will be some. There's a reason I hire out copy editing for professional stuff.)

Quote:
With lots of investigators preparing the world could be very hard. Imagine an 8 player game, we need to prepare 8 cities, so if 2 are devestated (Very possible) we now need to undevastate some, which can in theory happen from Ruined encounters, but is very unreliable.

Fraznabit, I'll have to put version 1.1 up soon, that rule was left out. But so that you don't have to wait, here it is:

Investigators gain a new action, "Organize Relief Efforts". If on a Devastated space, the investigator may test Influence; if successful, discard the Devastation Token on his space. Roll one additional die if on a Wilderness space, or roll one less die if on a Named City space.

(I probably don't need to specify this, but just to make sure nobody tries to rules-lawyer it: named cities are the ones with pictures and names. Unnamed cities are the rest of them.)

Quote:
Also, are there card backs available for these if I wanted to print them and give it a go?

Not yet. I usually use opaque sleeves. I'm also not happy with the picture I've got for Shudde-M'ell. If someone wants to help me find some artwork that I actually like and is public domain or otherwise usable by me, I'll make up some card backs.

Quote:
Scrambled Eggs seems like it'd be really tough - Cthonians are no joke to beat and you have to kill one per investigator, this seems a lot more difficult than equivalent mysteries like Gnoph-Keh, even with Seismic Stations helping (which seem pretty unreliable to place).

This is probably the toughest mystery. But every single test game, we were able to beat it in a reasonable time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Regarding your art issue...

I'm not copyright lawyer, but as your expansion is fan content for a Fantasy Flight game, it would seem reasonable that you could use art owned by Fantasy Flight that they've already used themselves for it? For one, you're already doing so in using the Ancient One frame and the Cthonian art, for a second your expansion is adding value to their game and makes people more likely to play/buy it, so seems reasonable?

If you accept that logic, I'd say the art from the LCG for Displaced Chthonian or Ancient Chthonian would work well (maybe as Grand Chthonian and Shudde M'ell respectively?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you who were complaining (rightfully so) about the artwork, there's a new version of the AO card available now on the file page. It's not perfect, but it's probably about as good as I'm going to get without paying an artist. There is a minor change to the cultists, fixing an issue I found with one of the mythos cards.

And someone had been talking with me about a printed version. I can't find the message any more, so if you see this, drop me a PM, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.