$30.00
$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: Changing monster surge to make it easier? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
My wife and I are planning on playing Eldritch Horror soon, but my wife doesn't do well with hard games (she likes to win and humiliate as she goes)cry I was thinking that we would play with 2 investigators each but use a monster surge of 1. Would that make it too easy? Would it be better to play with 5 investigators and use the full rules for 4 players? We have never played any games like this, so it will be completely new to us. Personally I love difficult games, but I want to keep the wife playing
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tweak I would go for is to remove the hard Mythos cards (the ones with the tentacles). If you want to make it even easier, use only easy cards (the ones with the ice). Play with as many investigators as you would think would be fun!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Tikatoy wrote:
The tweak I would go for is to remove the hard Mythos cards (the ones with the tentacles). If you want to make it even easier, use only easy cards (the ones with the ice). Play with as many investigators as you would think would be fun!


Thank you, I forgot about that!

edit: I just checked the deck I created and it had 6 of the hard mythos cards - yikes!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Ahlstrøm Meyn Mathiassen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my group, the monster surges have never been the problem. The number of portals that spawn is the real killer.
If you can't keep the number low then the game is going to spiral out of control.

I also found that a setup with four investigators is the easiest. More investigators also slow the game down which can also be a turn off for new players.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second both the points above. In my experience, the biggest factor in determining the difficulty is the mythos deck. Having a bunch of the hard cards in there, especially right at the start of a game, can really make you feel beaten the entire game. The "easy" cards still give you something to deal with but its not as crushing and in some cases, will actually give you a benefit instead of something bad to deal with.

And yes, the bigger issue than monsters is going to be dealing with the portals. If you keep the portals under control, then monsters won't be much of a problem anyway. More portals means more monsters and the chance for doom to really drop as well. As the previous poster said, the game can quickly turn on you if you let the number of portals get unmanageable.

If you both like the game and want to move beyond the "easy" mythos without getting too beat down, what I do every game now is the "staged difficulty" variant. Basically you make stage 1 with only easy cards, stage 2 with normal cards and stage 3 all hard cards. I really love this version of the game as you won't have games with real swingy difficulty. It will noticeably build as the game progresses and it puts pressure on you to do well early on because by stage 3 you will really feel like the world is about to end. I still lose more often than win, but it feels like you are being lured in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Mools wrote:
.

If you both like the game and want to move beyond the "easy" mythos without getting too beat down, what I do every game now is the "staged difficulty" variant. Basically you make stage 1 with only easy cards, stage 2 with normal cards and stage 3 all hard cards. I really love this version of the game as you won't have games with real swingy difficulty. It will noticeably build as the game progresses and it puts pressure on you to do well early on because by stage 3 you will really feel like the world is about to end. I still lose more often than win, but it feels like you are being lured in.


That's funny, when I first read the rules, that's how I thought I was supposed to make the mythos deck.

Thanks everybody for the input!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kimajakobsen wrote:
For my group, the monster surges have never been the problem. The number of portals that spawn is the real killer.
If you can't keep the number low then the game is going to spiral out of control.

I also found that a setup with four investigators is the easiest. More investigators also slow the game down which can also be a turn off for new players.



Completely agree. It's always the number of gates that is the problem, not the surge.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.