Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone found better marbles for use with the game? Do regular marbles have a "size" or common measurement, and if so, what are the marbles that come with the game?

I ask because I received a copy of the game today and most of my yellow marbles are really rough with a black hole or gouge in each one. I looked for marbel quality issues on the forums here and only saw someone saying their Dutch version had bad marbles (mainly the yellow ones with theirs, also) and someone from Horrible Games saying to contact them for replacements. But I also searched Google and found this on the Horrible Games website:

Quote:
We’ve been receiving a few reports about the marbles contained into the Potion Explosion™ boxes. Our beloved Professor Humblescore has an official announcement about the magic marbles included into each copy of the game:

Dear students,

you may notice that sometimes the marbles for your Potions may present slight imperfections, like slightly variable dimensions or small holes, and a slightly different tone of the same color. That is a normal condition of the marbles, since every single ingredient is unique. I can assure that these features don’t affect your potion-brewing experience in any way!

So no worries, students. Keep brewing powerful and incredible Potions!

Sincerely,
Albedus Humblescore,
Headmaster of the Horribilorum Academy for Witty Witches and Wizards

So it seems like imperfections like I described are within tolerance and wouldn't be replaceable.This got me thinking about getting different marbles, keeping the same colors of course but maybe getting some with a bit of translucence to them or whatever; at the very least I would want to buy some in the same color with the same opacity but smooth and hole-free.
Any ideas where to begin looking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
http://www.houseofmarbles.com/ might be able to help? I've no idea how expensive it would be though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nicholson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Unfortunately I don't have an answer, but did want to say I have the same problem with the marbles from the copy I got last night. Actually one of the yellow marbles was broken in half - luckily the game comes with extras. I came to the board to see if anyone else had the issue and/or replacement ideas. It is a shame the yellow ones have the imperfections, makes me nervous every time I drop them in the bag or dispenser that the small holes will cause a yellow one to break.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That HouseofMarbles site has some good-looking marbles, I guess. Now I just need to find out what size this game uses or figure out how to measure them myself. I might just only replace the yellows rather than get a whole new set in every color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the guys at my FLGS opened his game up for us to play and his marbles were like that. Most had seams in them and his black marbles were the ones that were horrible. cracked, broken and even had what looked like chips of metal in the cracks. When I got home I opened my copy and I have yet to find a marble with a single flaw. I figured he must have just got a bad run until I saw this post.

By the way, my marbles were fine but my game was missing four of the five ramps to the tray. Fortunately, my FLGS replaced my game so now I have a complete copy. First time I have ever seen this many problems with a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Backe
Denmark
flag msg tools
I haf one black marble that was broken in half out of the box, it was ok I just replaced it with one of the extras. What I dont understand though is why my black marbles are in 2 different colors. Some of them are deep black while others are more of a silver'ish black. I know it doesnt affect gameplay, but I really think its bad that they dont use the same color of marbles in the same game, it looks like 2 different ingredients.

example:

I really dont understand how they can say that imperfections and color differences can be ok.. Sure it doest affect the gameplay at all, but imagine that I bought Blood Rage and half of the vikings from one clan was soldiers with guns, should I also just accept it eventhough the company wrote "soldiers with guns are also considered to be vikings we just didnt have anymore viking figurines". I mean, is it really that hard to make sure that all marbles are the same color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
EarlyFlash wrote:
http://www.houseofmarbles.com/ might be able to help? I've no idea how expensive it would be though.

Approximately 28 cents per marble US X 80 marbles at a princely sum of $22.40 US!!! The game can be gotten for $34. So unless you really have a thing for marble bling, I'd say this might be a tad extravagant from this site. Oh, plus shippingshake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of Potion Explosion last night and the defects didn't bother me too much. Occasionally my nail would slip into one of the holes or divets in the yellow marbles while taking another one beside it. They are just mostly uncomfortable to touch and unsightly to look at. But they'll do for now, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony L.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghibli326 wrote:
Unfortunately I don't have an answer, but did want to say I have the same problem with the marbles from the copy I got last night. Actually one of the yellow marbles was broken in half - luckily the game comes with extras. I came to the board to see if anyone else had the issue and/or replacement ideas. It is a shame the yellow ones have the imperfections, makes me nervous every time I drop them in the bag or dispenser that the small holes will cause a yellow one to break.

I just got my copy today but I have the same issue. All my other marbles are fine, but several of the yellow ones are chipped (Fortunately none were broken in half). I have no idea why but only the yellows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Morris
Illinois
flag msg tools
I just spent $18 to upgrade mine. I got them from http://www.landofmarbles.com/mega-marble-nets.html
I went with Sun for the Yellow, Rooster for the Red, StingRay for the Blue, and Octopus for the Black. It was around 11 and then 7 for shipping.

Update: After getting the new marbles, I'm going to be getting Poison Dart Frog marbles for the black ones. The Octopus when next to the Rooster ones under poor lighting are a bit harder to tell the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Ash wrote:
I just spent $18 to upgrade mine. I got them from http://www.landofmarbles.com/mega-marble-nets.html
I went with Sun for the Yellow, Rooster for the Red, StingRay for the Blue, and Octopus for the Black. It was around 11 and then 7 for shipping.

Oh man, those looks sharp. I played a second game tonight and no one else had any comments/complaints about the marble quality, so maybe it is just me. I'll keep those in mind though and maybe upgrade after a couple more plays or when the expansion comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I received mine today and all of the yellow marbles had gauges in them. Is a shame though as the game is expensive so would think the marbles would be better??!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
So what size marbles are they? Medium, small etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those marbles do look sweet! If I wasn't on a tight budget, I would definitely get some... along with the all wood dispenser from one of the other threads on here. That would be groovy.
But since I don't have money to burn, I really don't mind the marbles being a bit deformed or unsightly... this isn't a game where we're relying on the marbles to roll well, and any little imperfection could alter it's trajectory... so I'm fine with what I got.

Although, I totally understand that some people are not happy with them, and I'm not saying they should get over it or anything... just saying I personally don't mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought a set from Land Of Marbles because Mad Ash's picture looked so awesome.

However, for those who'd like to spend less, I was originally looking at getting a Chinese Checkers set of marbles from Amazon. IIRC, they were around $9 (10 marbles each of 6 solid colors).

Here's an example:
https://www.amazon.com/Marbles-Chinese-Checkers-each-colors/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
Now having got the game, I don't feel the need to upgrade unless some very special marbles came along. The ones in the game look great imo. Yes a few have very minor nicks or blacks flecks on them but to me that just looks cool. It doesn't look bad at all, it adds to the charm. And anyway, it's so minor most people wouldn't notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
anyone know of a place in the UK i can buy replacement marbles from?

while the game is very good, the marbles are shockingly bad quality IMO

i had 2 or 3 broken out of the box, and have had marbles when i was a child that were great quality

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's a lot of variability in marbles. I didn't notice anything wrong with my set (then again, I opened the box, spent 87 minutes punching out potions and little dots, and spent the least amount of time with the marbles.) I'd be ok with a little bit of difference in the pattern/coloration, kind of fits in with the theme, but you should easily be able to identify colors and groups of colors.
I'll take a better look at mine tonight, see if there's any breaks, defects, or irregularities. This could be a fun thing to bling out with the right marble upgrades, but I'm going to hold off unless/until I realize mine have issues.
Sorry for all of you whose marbles are lost, damaged, or defiantly different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kleinfall
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
http://www.rockler.com/marbles-for-chinese-checkers-60-pk these are simple solid ones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kenna
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried the Chinese Checker marble replacements? It looks like they are a hair smaller than the marbles pictured above (9/16" versus 5/8"). I'm not sure if it would make a difference though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Read
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Swapped out my marbles based on your recomendation. Absolutely awesome! I understand the reason for the marbles that shipped with the game but these are a worthy upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Alaska
msg tools
I had to upgrade my marbles from stock because I cannot distinguish between the stock yellow and stock red marbles. The quality of the stock marbles were fine in my set.

At the time I ordered from landofmarbles, it was cheaper to order all four replacement colors, rather than just two, so I replaced my entire set.

I have great difficulty distinguishing the transparent marbles:

So I replaced mine with opaque colors where possible. Blue was not available as an opaque color, but Beluga was a candidate.

I purchased:
•RED: Firefighter
•YELLOW: Bumble Bee
•BLUE: Neptune
•BLACK: Poison Dart Frog

Note:
With the marble sets from landofmarbles, you'll get 24 marbles and 1 shooter. 24 marbles are just enough to get you 20 properly sized, good looking marbles. In each set, I could identify at least one runt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony L.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice find! I bought some of these myself since a bunch of mine are cracked and misshapen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErgoSphere wrote:
Has anyone tried the Chinese Checker marble replacements? It looks like they are a hair smaller than the marbles pictured above (9/16" versus 5/8"). I'm not sure if it would make a difference though.

Just got 2 bags of Chinese Checkers marbles, gonna see how that will work after cleaning up the shards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Alaska
msg tools
The problem we had with slightly smaller marbles was that they had a tendency to want to roll to the side of the next marble, making the slides less stable when they collide.

With smaller marbles, the size tolerance on the low end were too small. That's already a problem with the runts in the landofmarbles sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.