Hide
13 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: App slowing the pace down. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Eaton
msg tools
Was listening to the secret cabals great review of Mom 2ed and it seemed the only universal gripe was how the app was hurting the pace of the game due to presenting each individual addition to the board with a pop-up in the app to the point that a majority of the play time was spent clicking through these pop-ups. They suggested it would be better if when entering a new room all the tokens were already laid out and you are presented with a paragraph to read. How do you guys/gals feel about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RamboFrogger wrote:
Was listening to the secret cabals great review of Mom 2ed and it seemed the only universal gripe was how the app was hurting the pace of the game due to presenting each individual addition to the board with a pop-up in the app to the point that a majority of the play time was spent clicking through these pop-ups. They suggested it would be better if when entering a new room all the tokens were already laid out and you are presented with a paragraph to read. How do you guys/gals feel about this?

It's an interesting idea. However, seems to me reading through a paragraph of information regarding the new room would take only a few seconds less time than the way it currently is set up. It could certainly work though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I have only played solo but i dont think it will ever be an issue for me..do you have different people put out tiles,search and explore tokens?..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sullivan
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The App isn't an issue for my group either. I usually control the App and read everything, My group places all the items as I read through it trying to be as dramatic as possible. Adds to the atmosphere and role-playing that way. Plus when in combat or doing a search I don't read the pass or fail clause until after the dice and clues have been handled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RamboFrogger wrote:

That sounds like more of a cluster. I think the step by step set-up is nice and necessary considering that you'll want to know exactly what the Search tokens are for. Reading it all in a single paragraph sounds like a bit too much information at once. And you'd probably slow down to read it sentence by sentence anyways.

Maybe at some point they can add an option to toggle on/off the step by step set up, but I don't see it being that useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently, if there are 4 search points in a room and 2 of them are randomly activated, then the app just has to identify where each 'interaction point goes' in a single pop up. Easy Peasy.

If we go with a single paragraph with both search points being identified then the app has to either generate one of 6 possible combinations, or all 6 of them have to be pre-written. Ugh.

So, I'll happily stick with the pop ups and the implied scalability that implies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Currently, if there are 4 search points in a room and 2 of them are randomly activated, then the app just has to identify where each 'interaction point goes' in a single pop up. Easy Peasy.

If we go with a single paragraph with both search points being identified then the app has to either generate one of 6 possible combinations, or all 6 of them have to be pre-written. Ugh.

So, I'll happily stick with the pop ups and the implied scalability that implies.

Eh. Good point. Very good point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

The 'search points' are not randomly generated or even variable. Except where the map itself varies the scenario will always place exactly the same tokens on the board. The contents of the tokens may change (you may get a machete vs a crowbar for example). But this is not generated on the fly. It's all done at start-p and is selected from pre-designed options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
RamboFrogger wrote:

Suggested this exactly in my game review right after game release. Of course it's a good idea. Any time spent having to look at the screen is time I'm not looking at the table and interacting with other players.

Edit: Also suggested detailed ways which the text block could be less unwieldy and how the whole ui process could be streamlined. A number of your comments seem to focus on how to get around these shortcomings in the app, while saying "it's not a problem". This is exactly backwards for app design. The machine works for the humans, not the other way around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
thebaker1983 wrote:

It's an interesting idea. However, seems to me reading through a paragraph of information regarding the new room would take only a few seconds less time than the way it currently is set up. It could certainly work though.

These seconds per room add up to maybe a minute or more a game. I don't know about you, but I'm aging. Time is a non-renewable resource. If I'm going to lose minutes if my life playing a game, I'd rather it be interacting with friends than waiting on an app with ui problems (a common issue with all os-driven-devices actually).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:

They are already written. You can either ignore them all in the room setup step and just place the tokens (perhaps with a simple text label), or just post them all at once for ease (not my preferred method), which is like seven lines of code.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Compared to the first edition with a human keeper, second edition's keeper sped the pace up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
RamboFrogger wrote:

The issue with the app is its aggressive popups. If I were designing this app, I would show the new room tile, centered on the screen. All search and interact tokens clearly highlighted (you can also click on each one in its preparatory state for more info). Somewhere on the screen, there would be a "next" button to trigger the text.

Don't get me wrong. The app is innovative. But it's not perfect. The problem, as I see it, is that they're kind of mixing setup and gameplay at the same time. I constantly find myself wishing that the app would just chill out and let me setup the tile and tokens first. The app moves too fast, and ironically, this slows down the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.