Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Treasure-Victory & Treasure-Action cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Do you play Treasure-Victory as a treasure? Much like a s copper or a silver? Or you cant play it of you played an action already?

Do you play Treasure-Action as an action or a treasure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:
Do you play Treasure-Victory as a treasure? Much like a s copper or a silver?

Yes.

Quote:

One or the other (your choice), but not both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
One last question. If I play Conspirator and it says +1 card but all the cards I have are on the table and in my hand,I have no deck to draw from, what happens? Do I draw nothing and thats it or I cant even play it at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:
Do you play Treasure-Victory as a treasure? Much like a s copper or a silver? Or you cant play it of you played an action already?

From the rulebooks:

Dominion base rulebook, p. 6 wrote:
[In the Action phase, the player may play one Action card.
Dominion base rulebook, p. 7 wrote:
[In the Buy phase] The player may play some or all of the Treasure cards from his hand to his play area and add to their value the coins provided by Action cards played this turn.
Dominion Intrigue rulebook, p. 7 wrote:
Some cards in this expansion are both Victory cards and another type as well (Great Hall, Harem, Nobles). These cards are both types for all purposes. Great Hall and
Nobles can be played like normal Actions; Harem can be spent like a normal Treasure. At the end of the game, all three contribute to your score. When a card refers to a type of card, it means any card having that type; so, for example, Adventurer will find Harems as well as other Treasure cards; Mine can be used to trade in Silver for a Harem.

This should be enough to answer to your questions.

Treasure-Victory cards (like Humble Castle from Dominion: Empires and Harem from Dominion: Intrigue): There is no rule that forbids playing a card if it's a Victory card. There is just no rule allowing you to play it. Nevertheless, there are rules allowing you to play a treasure card in your buy phase. Harem is a treasure card, therefore you may play it. It's also a victory card. Hey, it's both!

Treasure-Action cards (like Crown from Dominion: Empires) are treasure cards. They are also action cards. During your action phase you can only play actions (barring some edge cases). During your buy phase you can only play treasures. Therefore, you may play the Crown in either phase. If you play it in your action phase, it uses up your action and counts for the Conspirator (from Dominion: Intrigue). If you play it in your buy phase, it doesn't require an action, as you can play as many treasure cards as you want. Note that it always lowers the cost of the Peddler (from Dominion: Prosperity) because the Peddler looks for action cards. The Crown is always an Action card (and always a Treasure, too), so it always counts as long as it is in play.

Brandonboards wrote:
One last question. If I play Conspirator and it says +1 card but all the cards I have are on the table and in my hand,I have no deck to draw from, what happens? Do I draw nothing and thats it or I cant even play it at all?
If your draw pile is empty, you reshuffle your face-up discard pile to form a new face-down draw pile. If both your deck and discards are empty, i.e., you've drawn your entire deck, nothing happens.

Golden rule: do as much as you can when playing a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
If you play it in your action phase, it uses up your action and counts for the Conspirator (from Dominion: Intrigue). If you play it in your buy phase, it doesn't require an action, as you can play as many treasure cards as you want.

Since you brought it up, I will point out that if you play Crown during your Buy phase, it still counts for Conspirator. It probably won't matter, but it could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Picon wrote:
Brandonboards wrote:

From the rulebooks:

Dominion base rulebook, p. 6 wrote:
[In the Action phase, the player may play one Action card.
Dominion base rulebook, p. 7 wrote:
[In the Buy phase] The player may play some or all of the Treasure cards from his hand to his play area and add to their value the coins provided by Action cards played this turn.
Some cards in this expansion are both Victory cards and another type as well (Great Hall, Harem, Nobles). These cards are both types for all purposes. Great Hall and
Nobles can be played like normal Actions; Harem can be spent like a normal Treasure. At the end of the game, all three contribute to your score. When a card refers to a type of card, it means any card having that type; so, for example, Adventurer will find Harems as well as other Treasure cards; Mine can be used to trade in Silver for a Harem.

This should be enough to answer to your questions.

Treasure-Victory cards (like Humble Castle from Dominion: Empires and Harem from Dominion: Intrigue): There is no rule that forbids playing a card if it's a Victory card. There is just no rule allowing you to play it. Nevertheless, there are rules allowing you to play a treasure card in your buy phase. Harem is a treasure card, therefore you may play it. It's also a victory card. Hey, it's both!

Treasure-Action cards (like Crown from Dominion: Empires) are treasure cards. They are also action cards. During your action phase you can only play actions (barring some edge cases). During your buy phase you can only play treasures. Therefore, you may play the Crown in either phase. If you play it in your action phase, it uses up your action and counts for the Conspirator (from Dominion: Intrigue). If you play it in your buy phase, it doesn't require an action, as you can play as many treasure cards as you want. Note that it always lowers the cost of the Peddler (from Dominion: Prosperity) because the Peddler looks for action cards. The Crown is always an Action card (and always a Treasure, too), so it always counts as long as it is in play.

Brandonboards wrote:
If your draw pile is empty, you reshuffle your face-up discard pile to form a new face-down draw pile. If both your deck and discards are empty, i.e., you've drawn your entire deck, nothing happens.

Yes I am talking about the last situation, when both the discard and deck are empty.So in case of Conspirator I get +2 coins & +1 Action and thats it right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:
Picon wrote:
Brandonboards wrote:

Yes I am talking about the last situation, when both the discard and deck are empty.So in case of Conspirator I get +2 coins & +1 Action and thats it right?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks to all of you for taking time from your lives to answer my questions and thumbsup for this marvelous game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
Some cards in this expansion are both Victory cards and another type as well (Great Hall, Harem, Nobles). These cards are both types for all purposes. Great Hall and Nobles can be played like normal Actions; Harem can be spent like a normal Treasure. At the end of the game, all three contribute to your score. When a card refers to a type of card, it means any card having that type; so, for example, Adventurer will find Harems as well as other Treasure cards; Mine can be used to trade in Silver for a Harem.

The rule I highlighted is the rule allowing what I "lowlighted". laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Brandonboards wrote:
Do you play Treasure-Victory as a treasure? Much like a s copper or a silver?

Yes.

Quote:

One or the other (your choice), but not both.

This is not really correct. Cards are not played "as" anything. Unless by "play as a treasure card" you meant "play during your buy phase". Crown, the only treasure/action card in the game, can be played either during your action phase or during your buy phase. No matter when you play it, you have actually played an action, and you have actually played a treasure. This matters for things like Conspirator, Bank, Peddler, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
Picon wrote:
If you play it in your action phase, it uses up your action and counts for the Conspirator (from Dominion: Intrigue). If you play it in your buy phase, it doesn't require an action, as you can play as many treasure cards as you want.

Since you brought it up, I will point out that if you play Crown during your Buy phase, it still counts for Conspirator. It probably won't matter, but it could.

This is important. Don't think of Crown as being played "as an action" or "as a treasure". The only difference is when it is played (and the fact that playing an action during your action phase uses up an available action). The playing a Crown during your buy phase thing can matter for Conspiracy because of Villa.

Also, if you play Black Market or Storyteller, and choose to play a Crown as one of your treasures you get to play in the action phase, Crown does the action-phase stuff, not the buy-phase stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:
Picon wrote:

This is important. Don't think of Crown as being played "as an action" or "as a treasure". The only difference is when it is played (and the fact that playing an action during your action phase uses up an available action). The playing a Crown during your buy phase thing can matter for Conspiracy because of Villa.

Also, if you play Black Market or Storyteller, and choose to play a Crown as one of your treasures you get to play in the action phase, Crown does the action-phase stuff, not the buy-phase stuff.
And it does not use up an Action, because one of those cards lets you play the Crown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everette Robertson
United States
Calhoun
KY
flag msg tools
This is also true if you use Black Market/Storyteller to play Venture, and then the Venture hits a Crown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marcory wrote:
This is also true if you use Black Market/Storyteller to play Venture, and then the Venture hits a Crown.

And then you can use that Crown to play another Storyteller twice; while in the middle of the first storyteller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
marcory wrote:

And then you can use that Crown to play another Storyteller twice; while in the middle of the first storyteller.

And then you can play another Crown. Offhand, I can't think of a way to nest them more than 30 levels deep, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
marcory wrote:

And then you can play another Crown. Offhand, I can't think of a way to nest them more than 30 levels deep, though.

Band of Misfits, Overlord, Inheritance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
marcory wrote:

Band of Misfits, Overlord, Inheritance.

That will get you to 30. 30 Storytellers and 30 Crowns. You also need Ferry and some other stuff to make it work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everette Robertson
United States
Calhoun
KY
flag msg tools
Can't you Crown a gainer to gain Mandarin, then Crown a drawer to re-draw the Crowns you've already played, to add at least 10 more levels of nesting?

Also, for any theoretical scenario like this, you'll naturally have 10 King's Courts and 10 Throne Rooms in hand and 10 Royal Carriages on your Tavern mat, plus 10 Processions if necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marcory wrote:
Can't you Crown a gainer to gain Mandarin, then Crown a drawer to re-draw the Crowns you've already played, to add at least 10 more levels of nesting?

Yeah, if you reused your Crowns a bunch of times, you could use Band, Overlord, and Inheritance on Storyteller. I think that could give you up to 60 levels of nesting in a 6 player game. That counts Storyteller + Crown as one level; I suppose you could do it the other way and say it's 120 levels.

Quote:
Also, for any theoretical scenario like this, you'll naturally have 10 King's Courts and 10 Throne Rooms in hand and 10 Royal Carriages on your Tavern mat, plus 10 Processions if necessary.

I was thinking mostly of Storyteller plays Crown plays Storyteller plays Crown and so on, but I guess you could throw in King's Court plays Storyteller plays Crown, etc. And you could have Counterfeit play Crown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everette Robertson
United States
Calhoun
KY
flag msg tools
You can't use Band of Misfits on Storyteller; they're both $5 cards--unless you used Ferry on Storyteller first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marcory wrote:
You can't use Band of Misfits on Storyteller; they're both $5 cards--unless you used Ferry on Storyteller first?

Yes, Ferry has already been mentioned in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:
In that case you still get +1 Card, +1 Action and $2. But, the +1 Card nets no cards, as you have no further cards to draw. However, if you have the -1 Card token, it is still removed (instead of drawing), as you are trying to draw a card. Yes, even if you eventually drew a card you wouldn't had drawn anything, but it doesn't matter that you have no further cards to draw; you still try to do as much as you can.

Golden Rules of Dominion:
- Always read and interpret the cards as literally as possible.
- Always try to do as much as possible, except if the card reads "you may".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.