Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
new to this wonderful forum!

This might be a daft question but the rules say

"if you didnt place a dungeon tile in you exploration phase, or if you placed a dungeon tile with a black triangle, draw and play an encounter card."

i read that as if you stay on an explored tile with no interest or speed to place a new tile, you must draw an encounter card, is that correct? let's say all 3 players stay on the same tile not moving we must draw an encounter card each?

I'll throw in a bonus question to, do players control the villains they drew? if me and a mate stand next to a zombie, does the zombies villain phase start on me going first or wait for my mates turn to activate? if we are 3 players do the skeleton get a villain phase 3 times then before were back to the person who spawned it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Beaklini
msg tools
No, you only draw one encounter card for the specific hero in his own turn if he didn't explore.

Zombies are not villains, they're monsters. And monsters only activative at the villain phase of the specific hero that drew it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nelag_macdahmer wrote:
new to this wonderful forum!

This might be a daft question but the rules say

"if you didnt place a dungeon tile in you exploration phase, or if you placed a dungeon tile with a black triangle, draw and play an encounter card."

i read that as if you stay on an explored tile with no interest or speed to place a new tile, you must draw an encounter card, is that correct? let's say all 3 players stay on the same tile not moving we must draw an encounter card each?

Yes...during *each* player's turn, if that player did not draw a tile, you would draw and resolve an encounter card. You could stay on the same tile for 10 consecutive player turns, and end up drawing 10 encounter cards, but trust me when I tell you, you DO NOT want to do that. We don't call them encounter cards when we play, we call em "**** you" cards.

As for monster activations, you only activate the monsters a player controls during *that* players turn, and you only activate it once. For example, Player A controls a Fire Bat, Player B controls a Ghoul. During Player A's turn, he activates the Fire Bat and follows the monster's AI on the card, moving and/or attacking once. The Ghoul cools his jets waiting for Player B's turn before it gets activated by Player B. At that point, the Fire Bat you control is done until your next turn. Where the monster is in the dungeon is irrelevant for when it gets activated, it doesn't matter that it's adjacent to a another player. If YOU don't control it, it doesn't activate during YOUR turn.

The key is that each player completes his turn before any other player moves/attacks/explores/places tiles/activates monsters, unless something on a card or player ability says otherwise.

Just follow the player aid cards...it's all right there, and it is that simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh thank you very much both of you! one last question before we play this tonight,even though say the fire bat was drawn by player B it can still attack player A if he's closer? (but the attack happens in players Bs villain/monster face)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, you follow whatever the card says regarding the target of the attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you very much! this forum rules cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actually, one last question before we start to play tomorrow, what are the cardboard monster tokens used for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madDdog67 wrote:
As for monster activations, you only activate the monsters a player controls during *that* players turn, and you only activate it once.
One caveat (going around the table, starting with the active player). You activate ALL monsters of that TYPE, no matter who controls them. This is why you can't have multiples of any one monster (eg. Fire bat, Ghoul, etc.).

Player A: Fire Bat
Player B: Ghoul
Player C: Ghoul + Fire Bat

On player A's turn, both Fire Bats would activate. On player B's turn, both Ghouls would activate. On player C's turn BOTH Ghouls and BOTH Fire Bats would activate! You need to kill as many monsters as you can AND explore (if at all possible) on EVERY TURN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nelag_macdahmer wrote:
actually, one last question before we start to play tomorrow, what are the cardboard monster tokens used for?
Variations!

Actually, which cardboard monster tokens are you referring to? It's been a while since I've been into the box. I believe there are "0/1/2/3/4(?) Monster(s)" chits that can be used to make the game harder by upping the number of monsters that show up on a tile. Put 'em into a cup, shake it up, and draw one every time a new tile is revealed. Then place that many monsters. There are also Villain chits that can be added to the cup to make REALLY nasty wandering monsters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:
nelag_macdahmer wrote:
Variations!

Actually, which cardboard monster tokens are you referring to? It's been a while since I've been into the box. I believe there are "0/1/2/3/4(?) Monster(s)" chits that can be used to make the game harder by upping the number of monsters that show up on a tile. Put 'em into a cup, shake it up, and draw one every time a new tile is revealed. Then place that many monsters. There are also Villain chits that can be added to the cup to make REALLY nasty wandering monsters!

oh i see! yeah there's a couple of 1 monster, 2 monsters and then 0 monsters. ok so i draw one of those when drawing a new tile to see how many spawns there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:
madDdog67 wrote:
As for monster activations, you only activate the monsters a player controls during *that* players turn, and you only activate it once.
One caveat (going around the table, starting with the active player). You activate ALL monsters of that TYPE, no matter who controls them. This is why you can't have multiples of any one monster (eg. Fire bat, Ghoul, etc.).

Player A: Fire Bat
Player B: Ghoul
Player C: Ghoul + Fire Bat

On player A's turn, both Fire Bats would activate. On player B's turn, both Ghouls would activate. On player C's turn BOTH Ghouls and BOTH Fire Bats would activate! You need to kill as many monsters as you can AND explore (if at all possible) on EVERY TURN!

yeah just read that, must have missed it earlier.

but i have 4 more questions, english is not my first language so not everything is clear to me:

1, do xp from killing monsters go to individual players or a into a shared pile? if not, if i kill a monster "controlled" by my mate, does he or I get the xp?

2, i didnt really understand this from the rules, maybe someone would be so kind to clarify? I'm sorry i'm sure it's simple but it confused me :E

"if a monster's hit points are reduced to 0, the monster is defeated. Remove its figure from the tile. The player controlling that monster discards the monster card into the xp pile. If more than one hero controls that type of monster, the player who made the attack discards the card if he or she controls one of those Monsters. If not, go clockwise around the table. The first player you reach who controls one of those monsters discards that monster card."

the fat part is what confused me! why wouldnt i/we discard the specific monsters "owner" card?

3, if you dont move/explore because you're battling a monster, do you then have to draw an encounter card too for not exploring?

4, the rules state that you have to be on the edge of a tile in order to explore a new tile. yet some gameplay videos i've checked on youtube people are exploring new tiles even thou they are like 1 tile away... they're playing it incorrect yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nelag_macdahmer wrote:
oh i see! yeah there's a couple of 1 monster, 2 monsters and then 0 monsters. ok so i draw one of those when drawing a new tile to see how many spawns there.
Yes. But that's a *variation* on regular gameplay. For normal gameplay, 1 new tile == 1 monster (on the monster spawn point (pile of bones, if I remember correctly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nelag_macdahmer wrote:
1, do xp from killing monsters go to individual players or a into a shared pile? if not, if i kill a monster "controlled" by my mate, does he or I get the xp?
Party pool. There's one XP pile (monster discard). 5 XP is used to level up and 5 XP is used to discard Encounter Cards that you don't want to encounter. So XP uses a shared pool. Note that if you draw a monster of a type that you already have (a second Ghoul, say) then you don't discard that to the XP pile, you just put it on the bottom of the monster pile.

nelag_macdahmer wrote:
If more than one hero controls that type of monster, the player who made the attack discards the card if he or she controls one of those Monsters. If not, go clockwise around the table. The first player you reach who controls one of those monsters discards that monster card. why wouldnt i/we discard the specific monster's "owner" card?
Because you don't own a specific "monster", you own a monster *TYPE*. That's not really explicitly explained in the rules unfortunately. Normally you'd keep the monsters as few as possible so there'd (ideally) only be one of a type out on the board. This is actually to the heroes' advantage because you'd want to remove the monster that was next-in-line for activation. However, that being said, if you want to mentally keep track of who "owns" which monster and remove that card, that's okay too. It might be a slight disadvantage to the heroes, but probably not one you'd notice.

nelag_macdahmer wrote:
3, if you don't move/explore because you're battling a monster, do you then have to draw an encounter card too for not exploring?
Yes. So plan your battles appropriately! Any time you can be adjacent to a monsters AND on the edge of a tile, do it! If you can attack a monster and THEN move to a tile edge, do it! Ideally, be on a corner so that you can choose WHICH edge to explore. (You can't explore diagonally though). Even though this brings the monster count up, at least it's one less Encounter card (assuming a white triangle on the tile of course).

nelag_macdahmer wrote:
4, the rules state that you have to be on the edge of a tile in order to explore a new tile. yet some gameplay videos i've checked on youtube people are exploring new tiles even thou they are like 1 tile away... they're playing it incorrect yes?
That depends. Some heroes have a special ability that allows exploration from ANYWHERE on the tile. The Wizard (maybe not in CR?) with the Wizard Eye spell(?), or the Ranger perhaps? However, you shouldn't be able to explore an unexplored edge this is NOT on your current tile. Unless there's a special card/ability I'm not remembering. it's entirely possible in the interest of making a shorter video, they skipped some steps. Or just plain mis-understood some of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you Alan!!! you rock! can i give upvotes or something to specific users on here? cool

that being said, lets see if i got this right.

EverywhereGames wrote:
nelag_macdahmer wrote:
Party pool. There's one XP pile (monster discard). 5 XP is used to level up and 5 XP is used to discard Encounter Cards that you don't want to encounter. So XP uses a shared pool. Note that if you draw a monster of a type that you already have (a second Ghoul, say) then you don't discard that to the XP pile, you just put it on the bottom of the monster pile.

There are 3 ghouls on the table, if i kill one then that does not go to the xp pile? only when there's no ghoul on the table that last card goes to the xp pile? or did i completely misunderstand you? not sure i understood the part in bold text. can't find anything in the rulebook about this,it only says a killed monster goes to the xp pile. maybe you could give an example whistle

EverywhereGames wrote:
nelag_macdahmer wrote:
If more than one hero controls that type of monster, the player who made the attack discards the card if he or she controls one of those Monsters. If not, go clockwise around the table. The first player you reach who controls one of those monsters discards that monster card. why wouldnt i/we discard the specific monster's "owner" card?
Because you don't own a specific "monster", you own a monster *TYPE*. That's not really explicitly explained in the rules unfortunately. Normally you'd keep the monsters as few as possible so there'd (ideally) only be one of a type out on the board. This is actually to the heroes' advantage because you'd want to remove the monster that was next-in-line for activation. However, that being said, if you want to mentally keep track of who "owns" which monster and remove that card, that's okay too. It might be a slight disadvantage to the heroes, but probably not one you'd notice.

this one i think i understand now, lets say Player A kills a ghoul but has not drawn a ghoul card, but both Player B and C has a ghoul card... then it goes clockwise to Player B who discards that card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
also one last question before our D&D weekend starts.

does Villains (big dragon for example) just do one of its attacks per villain phase? the dragon card for example have 4 different scenarios of attack. are there instances where villain/monster do two attacks in a row?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nelag_macdahmer wrote:
thank you Alan!!! you rock! can i give upvotes or something to specific users on here? cool
Just green-thumbing the reply is I think all that you can do.

nelag_macdahmer wrote:
There are 3 ghouls on the table, if i kill one then that does not go to the xp pile? only when there's no ghoul on the table that last card goes to the xp pile? or did i completely misunderstand you? not sure i understood the part in bold text. can't find anything in the rulebook about this,it only says a killed monster goes to the xp pile. maybe you could give an example whistle
That isn't quite what I meant. You got the killing part right down below so I'll just explain what I meant here. Suppose that you have a Ghoul and player B has a Ghoul. You move/attack/explore/flip a new dungeon tile/draw a monster card. That card is (miraculously) the third Ghoul card. Now it doesn't matter that Player B has a Ghoul, just that *YOU* do. Since the game doesn't allow for you to have multiple *types* of monsters (do you REALLY want all three Ghouls to attack TWICE on your upcoming Villain Phase?) you can't have that Ghoul. But you didn't kill it so it doesn't go into the XP pile (monster discards) but rather it just goes onto the bottom of the monster deck so that it can eventually have a chance to be drawn again, ideally after you've dispatched the other Ghouls.

nelag_macdahmer wrote:
this one i think i understand now, lets say Player A kills a ghoul but has not drawn a ghoul card, but both Player B and C has a ghoul card... then it goes clockwise to Player B who discards that card?
That is exactly it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nelag_macdahmer wrote:
does Villains (big dragon for example) just do one of its attacks per villain phase? the dragon card for example have 4 different scenarios of attack. are there instances where villain/monster do two attacks in a row?
All monster AI is treated the same. Go down the possibilities and trigger ONLY the first one that applies. It's possible that it could do something that's the equivalent of multiple attacks (or at least affecting ALL Heroes on the tile) but it would only be the FIRST possibility. You do NOT keep going down the list doing them all. Bear in mind that there are SOME monsters (sentries mostly) that may "fall off the end" and in effect do nothing. That's a good thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alright so if I draw a ghoul, and if that ghoul remains in play until my next turn and I draw a second ghoul then I just toss it instantly? do I draw a new monster card instead?

you're so helpful man, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if the active hero has a duplicate of the monster just drawn in front of him, he discards that monster and draws another. About the terminology used, even though Alan's explanations are very helpful and correct, I think that using the word discard in context of the the "experience pile" mixes things a little.

So the monster card can be located in four different places:
[1] in the monster deck where you draw new monsters from
[2] in front of the hero, where they are used activate the monster figurines of that type
[3] in the heroes' communal experience pile
[4] in the discard pile, unused

And typically the monster card's life is summed as going from [1] to [2] and then when killed to [3]. When that experience is used to level up or cancel an encounter, the card goes to [4]. However, if the active hero drew a duplicate monster (he already had the same card in his [2]), the monster goes directly to [4] and a new monster is drawn.

When the monster deck [1] is depleted, you can shuffle the discard pile [4] to make a new monster deck [1].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartheus wrote:
When the monster deck [1] is depleted, you can shuffle the discard pile [4] to make a new monster deck [1].
That is a much better explanation, thank you. Part of my confusion is that the discard "pile" is just face up, underneath [1] so that when (if) we ever get to the face up monster cards, we know to shuffle them, AND we save on valuable table space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you both! all is clear now. we start playing in a few hours cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.