Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Easy Cthulhu wars storage solution with insctructional! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Insert [+] [View All]
Jeremy Drover
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
This is my first forum post so please point me in the right direction if I do anything incorrectly.

I love Cthulhu wars but I always hate packing away the game after. The plastic insert likes to come up solid on the minis placed underneath. This makes the lid sit improperly and also puts weight directly on the minis. After getting fed up with several minutes of frustration every game I decided to fix the problem. Solution is below with pics let me know what you think!

step one: Take the plastic insert and while empty flip it upside down. place all minis that are normally kept under the insert into the bottom of the tray. fit them into nooks and crannies trying to keep a low profile. Make sure you do not place any on top of Hastur's section or have any sticking up above his level.

Step Two: take a cloth and drape across minis, this helps keep them in place and stops pieces from sliding down and getting pinched, two old shirts worked well.

Step Three: take a piece of cardboard and cut it so that it is just slightly larger then the inside dimensions of the plastic insert. You want it to just fit in the bottom when you push out the sides. The idea is to use the pressure of the sides to hold it in place.

Stop four: put one corner of the cardboard in, then one corner at a time push it in place, pulling out the side of the insert as you go. If it wont fit shave a tiny about off one side and try again. If its loose it will all fall apart when you turn it upside down

Now pack away as normal, once you have the cardboard the right size it packs away quick an easy with no crushed minis!

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea and write up!

I prefer the "toss them in ziploc bags and chuck the insert" approach, but my figures are not painted and I don't transport my game in a way that I sm concerned with damaging it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...
...there is an easier way...

1. Use reverse side of plastic insert to place playing pieces in the recesses and crevasses, or whatever words are better-fitting, here (too late for word processing in brain). Make sure nothing reaches higher than the side of the insert.

2. Carefully lift up plastic insert, so that you have it in your right hand.

3. Take bottom part of the game box into left hand, turn it over, slide it over plastic insert (which is still reverse side up), until it firmly settled onto it.

4. Press plastic insert with right hand against bottom parf of the box (in your left hand), then turn the whole thing over, so that the bottom of the box is now with the opening up top, and the insert the right side up inside.

This way, you can save yourself the whole trouble of putting other stuff into it.
If you want more security for your minis below the insert, well, then you can use cloth to secure them, but, to be honest, they are quite robust, anyways, and nothing is gonna happen to them if they lie in there and are a bit loose. Just make sure when you put them in the reverse insert that no part of the figures reaches higher than the side of the insert.

Also, to be honest, if you store miniatures in your box this way, it really shouldn't natter that much to you, as you will not store them this way when you painted them.

At the moment, I can fit the whole base game, the Hound of Tindalos, Buffthulhu, Asenath Waite and Lovecraft into the game without damaging anything - and with space to spare for stuff on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a slight variation on this, packing elder signs, first player marker, and a few other bits and pieces in the upside down insert till it is "full" - i.e. flush with the top. Then:

1. Place the bottom of the box over the upside down insert.
2. Slide the bottom of box and insert combo to the edge of the table, and onto one hand.
3. Continue to slide till you have one hand in the middle of the box bottom, and one in the middle of the insert. Then lift, and flip.

There was another thread on this, which is where I got the idea from.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Got this:
http://us.battlefoam.com/cthulhu-wars-core-game-foam-tray-ki...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.